Changing an Electric Account with CFE

mis2810

Tried looking at the CFE site online, their website sucks. Not much help and no phone number for the Peñasco office. We need to change the name on the electric account from the old owner to my husband's name. Does anyone know what the office hours are? Are they open on Saturday?

Anybody have any idea exactly what documents we need to bring? I'm pretty much going to bring every document we have, just in case, but any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Pinky

Office is open Monday to Friday until 3:00 PM. Closed on weekends. You will need a copy of the previous owners ID as well as the documents related to the sale of the property. You will also need your ID to start the new account.

JimMcG

Tried looking at the CFE site online, their website sucks. Not much help and no phone number for the Peñasco office. We need to change the name on the electric account from the old owner to my husband's name. Does anyone know what the office hours are? Are they open on Saturday?

Anybody have any idea exactly what documents we need to bring? I'm pretty much going to bring every document we have, just in case, but any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Kea

It's been a couple of years, but I think I took my fideicomiso, a current bill (in old name) and my ID. It was pretty easy. I think there was a small fee?

mis2810

LOL!!! That's exactly what I did at the Mexican Consulate in Phoenix last October when we needed to get a Power of Attorney! The snotty lady behind the desk kept asking for things that I kept whipping out of my folder!!!!!! I love it!

mis2810

Back to electricity - I was just talking with someone who has a house in Las Conchas and they tell me there are different electric rates for gringos than for Mexicans? What's that all about? Is it even true?

Not true,
If you use less than 400KW(?) per 2 months you pay what everyone else pays in that consumption tier, (Mexican and Gringo's alike). (8-10 cents a KW)
If your use exceeds that then you pay for use at the next higher tier, (20 cents a KW).
And when you exceed that threshold you pay the next higher tier (30 cents a KW).
These amounts are approx. All customers pay the same rates.
There might be some subsidies for the poor.
If you go to the CFE site it will spell it all out for you.
The more you use the more you pay.o_O

Roberto

Not true as far as I've seen and I've seen lots of electric bills. They charge in three levels according to usage. Cost climbs dramatically across the levels. Say first level cost is 7 per unit for say 50 units, second level is say 20 per unit for 75 units, third level is say 100 per unit to total usage. Most mexicans use electricity carefully and stay in the first level. US folk blast the AC and roar into level three most of the time. Result is Mexican's bill are low and US folk bills are high. The Mex. govt also subsidizes the electricity for everyone across the board. Study your bill it's pretty clear how they charge and you will figure it out.

Roberto

makes sense why the rental rates are little higher in the hotter months. A/C running all the time in the condos
The absolute worst scenario is 100 degrees, 90% humidity, T stat all the way down, doors wide open, unit freezes, AC stops delivering cold air, irritated renter calls for repair, owner has a repair bill pus a big CFE bill. I would not rent without those kill switches. I think they are fairly inexpensive compared to a whopping CFE bill.

mis2810

The absolute worst scenario is 100 degrees, 90% humidity, T stat all the way down, doors wide open, unit freezes, AC stops delivering cold air, irritated renter calls for repair, owner has a repair bill pus a big CFE bill. I would not rent without those kill switches. I think they are fairly inexpensive compared to a whopping CFE bill.
Any recommendations for someone to install them and where to buy?