Does anyone one use two way radios in PP?

When we go down we are always at a lack of communication when I am am out exploring because our phone service is off.
I purchased what are supposed to be a nice set of 2 ways and am wondering how well others have worked down there.
They are supposed to be 36 miles line of sight... but if I get even 5-7 miles I would be happy. Not a lot of obstruction down there so I have high hopes.
Please post your experience with yours if you have used any.

Roberto

If you think you will come here with some frequency buy a cheap tel cell phone or 2 for $300 pesos each. Load time as you need it, no monthly bills.

Thats a good idea too. About the same as what I payed for these 2 ways.
Still am interested to see how well they work.
Thanks.

Yeah when I am out on the quad I thought they would come in handy... While everyone is waking up over in the Mirador area and I am headin to Cholla I have no communication.

I will have to hook up with you so if anyone needs to get a hold of me they can call you and you can walk outside and yell at me! LOL

Last edited:

Roberto

If you decide to buy phones, you can find the cheap phones almost everywhere. I would avoid the big Tel Cel store on Benito Juarez as they are slow and require you to show a passport and register. I have bought at the little Tel Cel store in that same shopping center. You can even buy them at Oxxo. I guess they can activate them too.

You know, my brother in law goes down there and sells phones... I wonder why he has never said, hey here are some phones we can use down here... Now I am pissed.

I would like to meet you though. We stay at La Palapa right up the hill from Manny's. How close are we to you?

Roberto

You can buy just a chip if he will loan you phones. He prolly has the high end ones. I hang around the Mirador and recently in Unconscious.

<-- Pictures himself riding around the Mirador Hood asking, "Roberto?" to random guys wandering around! LOL.
When we get down there I will log in and maybe we can avoid that awkwardness. :D

Terry C

Roberto is a good guy, he pulls people out stuck in the sand, bails people out of jail when they run alto signs. Don't get on his bad side because he will challenge you to a fight on Calle 13. He has high heals and a brick in his purse ....... Wait that might be GV with the brick... LOL :D

I think I am fairly easy to get a long with. lol
I am actually looking forward to meeting him and you others. This forum has been a nice find.

ernesto

When we go down we are always at a lack of communication when I am am out exploring because our phone service is off.
I purchased what are supposed to be a nice set of 2 ways and am wondering how well others have worked down there.
They are supposed to be 36 miles line of sight... but if I get even 5-7 miles I would be happy. Not a lot of obstruction down there so I have high hopes.
Please post your experience with yours if you have used any.

Well it seems in hind sight I should have posted before buying the 2 ways. Though they still could come in handy(making myself feel better for spending $50).
Thanks for the replies all.

My 2 way VHF radios were advertised as 12 mile range, I could never get more than 2 miles and that was traveling on Highway 85 flat areas.
Within hill areas maybe 3/4 mile.

azdiva

VHF Marine, VHF 2 meter or UHF family radio or GMRS are all line of sight. All can reach satellites. Higher the more range. Obstructions, very low range.
There is also a repeater around El Golfo for amateur frequencies.

The model I picked up were number 3 in Consumer reports review, for what that's worth. I still have high hopes for them to work if the family is running to Super Ley or from the Malecon to Sandy beach or Cholla.

Midland GXT1000