Don't understand 'El Pinacate reserve' concept at all

Estella

Ever sense I started visiting Penasco, local people would talk about El Pinacate and now with recent events giving even more glorification to that place, I really don't see why all the hype.
1. It is the harshest and driest part of lower sonoran desert but it is not unique, lower sonoran is a large desert.
2. Very low quality habitat and very fragile habitat for any wildlife, so it is not that the place is thriving with different wildlife that you can't find in other parts of sonoran desert.
3. Black volcanic rock is different and the spot can be seen from space, ok.
4. There is a crater or few of them, ok.
5. It is supposed to be some sort of a reserve for flora and fauna but not much of a reserve if people keep hiking there stressing out the very fragile habitat.

If I was to take a portion of Sonora and reserve a part for wildlife it would probably have to be the 'upper sonoran' desert in the state. It has the riches variety of flora and fauna.

Last edited:

InkaRoads

cronopiador
"This place is the antithesis of a tourist trap. It’s the kind of place that draws extreme adventurers like astronauts needing a place to train in lunar-like conditions. But in these seemingly desolate, pockmarked surroundings, Pinacate is booming with biodiversity. Fringe-toed lizards skim the sizzling sand and the Costa’s hummingbird braves the desert to suck from native, nectar-filled ocotillo plants, alongside close to 300 species of mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians, not to mention over 500 plants. In fact, the area gets its name from the foul-smelling Pinacate beetle." (Discovery Channel)

Adventurous spirits will want to start their trek to Pinacate from its sister park at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in Arizona, where the staffs of both parks keep a protective eye on the Sonoran pronghorn."
Estella, as you can see the place is thriving with live however as in any desert that gets hot you only see the fauna at dusk or dawn, unless it is not summer, you should visit the park on February or March or any time before it gets hot and you will be amazed of what you'll see

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Pinacate group 3-4-10 150 (Medium).jpg Pinacate group 3-4-10 135 (Medium).jpg Pinacate group 3-4-10 090 (Medium).jpg baby birds.jpg bighorn.jpg bighorn2.jpg borrego.jpg desert beauty.jpg education.jpg mule deer.jpg When I guide my groups into the Pinacate they are all amazed by it. It is totally a special place. It may not fit your idea of a park and that's OK, I have never heard a negative comment about the trip. I suggest a visit may change your mind.

Pinacate group 3-4-10 150 (Medium).jpg [/ATTACH] [/ATTACH]
[/ATTACH] Pinacate group 3-4-10 135 (Medium).jpg Pinacate group 3-4-10 090 (Medium).jpg
The land is a sacred place for the Tohono Oodham people who have lived in this area for thousands of years and still do. This place goes way beyond what a park is, it's history is rich!

Last edited:
It is a very special place, I love the contrast of colors there.
The stark environment is brightened up with the occasional color burst of red, yellow and orange from what was blooming.
I've been to the volcano summit 2x and loved riding my quad's in the dunes. (did it without trashing anything).

Last time to the volcano peak on a Memorial day weekend 10 years ago it was 90 degrees (9AM) at the entrance,
when we got to the summit it was already 115+ degrees that really surprised me.
I would hate to be in there during the summer months. The black lava and sand really absorbs the heat. I bet it would be 130-140 degrees.

I am glad they are protecting it, but miss the quad riding in the sand dunes.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I suspend my tours to the park June July August and September because of the heat. To me the idea that animals and plants can live there at all is a testament to the value of this place.

tortuga

I go out there once or twice a year and it is a different experience each time. In the spring after a wet winter it is unbelievable. To scientists and geologists it is one of the most exotic and diverse bio systems on the planet.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Add to all of the above....Tomorrow night Friday May 23rd 2014 we will be going out to the visitors Center to experience the new meteor shower. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/05/22/first-ever-meteor-shower-may-burst-into-meteor-storm-friday-night/
I am taking my van and have room for only 10 people at 25 usd per person. It will fill up fast so send me your email [email protected] to reserve, only 10 sorry, byob, wine beer, soda no problem. No light pollution, no stress just lots and lots of stars meteor shower flyer.jpg

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
It ain't Central Park in NYC, that's for sure. Personally, I'm glad it's not! But, I'm all about all things desert. Was fascinated with it as a child growing up in PA. It speaks volumes that Mexico recognizes such an important heritage and bio-diversity to preserve the place for future generations.

Add to all of the above....Tomorrow night Friday May 23rd 2014 we will be going out to the visitors Center to experience the new meteor shower. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/05/22/first-ever-meteor-shower-may-burst-into-meteor-storm-friday-night/
I am taking my van and have room for only 10 people at 25 usd per person. It will fill up fast so send me your email [email protected] to reserve, only 10 sorry, byob, wine beer, soda no problem. No light pollution, no stress just lots and lots of stars View attachment 6804
Some day, I would love to bring one of my many telescopes and do some viewing from there, it is really dark there.
I won't be down until late Sat. so maybe next time.
Have fun Russ.

jerry

Russ you will be hustling for a buck until the end.Why not take a break and go out there in peace.On your death bed you might remember this as one of the greatest things you ever viewed.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
You miss the point for me Jerry. I do this so others can experience the experience. This is something that many probably would not do on their own, they should but they don't. I love showing off a different way of doing things. I charge for it so there is ownership in the experience. If money was the end all I couldn't do it. I can and do this sort of stuff all the time, I want to encourage others to do the same, maybe the first time they need a guide, the second, probably not. Viva life, viva experience, viva Mexico!

MIRAMAR

How was the meteor shower Russ? We got up early in the morning in Penasco(2 am) on Saturday, and I only saw one meteor.