Driving down to Cabo San Lucas

garyd

I want to drive down to Cabo but would like to get some info from folks in the know. What do I need to get a car permit? If the car is financed can I drive it down? Is it better to go by way of Hemosillo and take the Ferry or drive down the Baja? Any other info would be welcome.

Our son drove down from California when he moved there. When he moved back to the US he took the ferry to Guaymas - said the ferry was MUCH easier!

We drove the mainland toll rd and took ferry across to la paz...was a great trip and ferry was nice. We got a room on it and it wasnt big but had a bathroom. The toll highway was great and the cities you go thru are very nice. Friends do the baja too and say it is beautiful scenery but the roads are narrow and a little scary...

I would stay off the road at night (of course) the Mexican truck and bus drivers are terrible and inconsiderate. All of the local people along the way are wonderful. Plan your trip to have fun and see the sights along the way. Above all don't rush!!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
One word - fly. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache and gray hair. Mex 1 is hideous; have driven it. We beach camped down Baja for three weeks a few years back and while I loved the experience at the time, don't think I'd do it again soon.

But, to each their own sense of adventure! :puff:

garyd

One word - fly. You'll save yourself a lot of heartache and gray hair. Mex 1 is hideous; have driven it. We beach camped down Baja for three weeks a few years back and while I loved the experience at the time, don't think I'd do it again soon.

But, to each their own sense of adventure! :puff:
Not looking for an adventure but am moving to Cabo and need my car

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Not looking for an adventure but am moving to Cabo and need my car
Ahhhhhh, obviously I misunderstood! Thought it was vacation!! Well, might as well make the most of it, then!

I recommend this: Drive over to Temecula and cross at Tecate. This route takes you through the northern Baja wine country and is very pretty, dumps you out south of Ensenada, if I remember correctly, and you miss the nightmare that is Tijuana. Then it's a drive down the coast. San Quentin, always worth a stop at the Old Mill for overnight and their absolutely killer crab claw and clam dinner! From there, it's a long stretch south past Bay of LA and down to Guerro Negro. You will need a car permit at that point. Baja Norte, not required. Baja Sur - yup, you'll need it. I got mine at Lukeville the month before we made our big beach camping trip. After Guerro Negro, you transit to the Sea of Cortez side and pass the Tres Virgenes volcanos and transit down a scary, hairy, switchback snakepath into Santa Rosalia. Another great place to take a break. South from there, it's Mulege, then Loreto, and on down to the East Cape and Cabo.

I know there's more Pemex stations now than there used to be, but as a general rule in Baja Norte, if you saw a Pemex, stop and fill up! There were some loooong stretches with no gas, but I understand there is now a Pemex at the Bay of LA turnoff, which used to be the longest stretch with no gas available at all.

Other advice? You may want to go over to the Vagabundos forum/site and check for recent updates and news there; they are much more Baja centric and usually have very current info from those that have just come back from points in Baja.

:puff:

garyd

Ahhhhhh, obviously I misunderstood! Thought it was vacation!! Well, might as well make the most of it, then!

I recommend this: Drive over to Temecula and cross at Tecate. This route takes you through the northern Baja wine country and is very pretty, dumps you out south of Ensenada, if I remember correctly, and you miss the nightmare that is Tijuana. Then it's a drive down the coast. San Quentin, always worth a stop at the Old Mill for overnight and their absolutely killer crab claw and clam dinner! From there, it's a long stretch south past Bay of LA and down to Guerro Negro. You will need a car permit at that point. Baja Norte, not required. Baja Sur - yup, you'll need it. I got mine at Lukeville the month before we made our big beach camping trip. After Guerro Negro, you transit to the Sea of Cortez side and pass the Tres Virgenes volcanos and transit down a scary, hairy, switchback snakepath into Santa Rosalia. Another great place to take a break. South from there, it's Mulege, then Loreto, and on down to the East Cape and Cabo.

I know there's more Pemex stations now than there used to be, but as a general rule in Baja Norte, if you saw a Pemex, stop and fill up! There were some loooong stretches with no gas, but I understand there is now a Pemex at the Bay of LA turnoff, which used to be the longest stretch with no gas available at all.

Other advice? You may want to go over to the Vagabundos forum/site and check for recent updates and news there; they are much more Baja centric and usually have very current info from those that have just come back from points in Baja.

:puff:
As always, thanks for your help. GD