Fish Identification?

I only got the 1 pic but I can't seem to find it in the puffer family pics in the Mexfish data base. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Bullseye Puffer Sphoeroides annulatus.....

A deadly little treat. Mexicans use em as fly killers throughout the east side of Baja California. They split em open and hang them over their doorway next to the dried up "DIABLOS" used to ward off espiritos muy malo. The diablos are juvenile Shovel Nosed Sharks that have been carved up to look like they have four limbs and a long tail. The really creative people even paint em red.

As for the puffer, you will sometimes see them skinned and dressed up in the Fish Market in the Old Port advertised as "POLLO". Personally, I'm not into the game of Russian Roulette therefore would never eat one. And as a matter of fact try tossing one to a pelican, they will spit it out in an instant. Also, with hose four buck teeth that they have, they can cut a steel hook in half with ease.

JJ

Estero

I only got the 1 pic but I can't seem to find it in the puffer family pics in the Mexfish data base. Any ideas?

Sphoeroides Pachygaster or Blunthead Puffer or Mexican Blowfish. They sell them at the fish market and they call them Chicken fish. I don't eat them.

Awesome ty for the ID, and yes it broke the hook trying to get it out. Was like trying to remove the sword from the stone if you catch my drift.

Yeah, I knew it was a puffer and had no intention of chopping it up. I tried to get the pics quick and then get the hook out, as I said it broke but he was less than impressed by me. You can even see in his eyes he was pissed off lol.

Kelney

My boat's bait tank intake tube was clogged. Once I tore it a part I found this little guy stuck in an elbow fitting. Only puffer I have caught.