Fishing Newbie looking for help

BootNHat

I a bit reluctant to put this up. Put downs seem to be the normal here.

I am looking for a particular type of help on a regular basis. I recently bought a 24 ft. fishing type boat. It is a Wellcraft, 5.7L V8, stern drive, center console, small cabin, with a large area of covered open deck. I still have some work to do but that will never end.

The boat came with a GPS/fish-finder full of locations loaded by previous owner. My problem, and need for help, arizes from the fact I don't know squat about saltwater fishing. I am looking for one or more mentors willing to fish at least once a week. All I ask is help with the gasoline. Boat is in the water at Safe Marina. I have accumulated some rods, reels, and a bit of other stuff. I live here permanently, but will probably escape soon after the 4th of July.

Mel Sloan

TICO-T

I am looking for a particular type of help on a regular basis. I recently bought a 24 ft. fishing type boat. It is a Wellcraft, 5.7L V8, stern drive, center console, small cabin, with a large area of covered open deck. I still have some work to do but that will never end.

The boat came with a GPS/fish-finder full of locations loaded by previous owner. My problem, and need for help, arizes from the fact I don't know squat about saltwater fishing. I am looking for one or more mentors willing to fish at least once a week. All I ask is help with the gasoline. Boat is in the water at Safe Marina. I have accumulated some rods, reels, and a bit of other stuff. I live here permanently, but will probably escape soon after the 4th of July.

Mel Sloan
Are you Mel Sloan, attorney from Chicago?

Mel Sloan
Following, having a lot of the same questions. Hope to learn a lot from this. Thank yo for posting

BootNHat

Not attotney from Chicago; if I was I would just hire local guided like some at Safe Marina. Just retired, living on the cheap.

BootNHat

Actually, it just occurred to me that anothet newbie willing to learning together is also an acceptable optoon.

YumaJames

Well, don't know if this will help you guys out much, but hopefully it will. I bought a 26 foot cabin cruiser and took it out to Rocky Point for the first time 3 years ago, knew absolutely nothing about salt water fishing. So I know where you're coming from. Fortunately I was able to hire Felipe a couple times, he was a local private guide that worked out of Safe Harbor, he was very reasonable and showed you where to go and what to do, he fishes pretty much only the 50 mile area. Unfortunately I don't think he's available anymore, last I talked to him a few months ago he works only for Coyote. I'm sure you've done this, but I'd suggest talking to Miguel, Arturo, Salvador, Obet, the guys at Safe Marina and see if you can hire one or them or if they can recommend someone.

I still keep my boat in storage at Whale Hill, but I haven't had it in the water for about 6 months because have been so busy. But am really hoping to get out there in the next few weeks. Perhaps we can get together and buddy boat. I have tons of GPS coordinates and I don't mind sharing, so if you want em just email me at [email protected].

By no means am I an expert on fishing in Rocky Point, still have a lot to learn. But over the years have picked up a few things and am willing to share. For those who know more feel free to correct me. In my opinion in the winter months its better to fish the deeper waters 40-50 miles out, in summer months you're better off staying closer. There are a lot of reefs 10, 20, 30 miles out of Rocky Point, some of them west/north towards El Golfo. Last summer we went out a few times on these closer reefs and did well.

Biggest concern is safety. Weather is everything, windfinder.com is a great resource. Looks like you have a single engine boat, that's tricky. The marine radios and your cell phone only work so far out, other options include buddy boating, I carry a Delorme satellite texting device so I can contact the guys at Safe Marina if I run into problems.

You mentioned your boat has a small cabin, my favorite is to spend one or two nights out there if the weather cooperates. We've spent a few nights out at the 50 mile marker, Bird Island, Caballo, and we've run into some great fishing early morning, late evening, even at night. One of my most memorable nights was when we tied into a herd of sharks, was a blast pulling them in, and had no clue they tasted so good. Nothing beats sleeping out on the boat and waking up to fresh cup of coffee.

Perhaps run into you out there the next few months, best of luck, be safe, and hopefully you can find others to help you.

I wouldn't mind a few coords YumaJames, I've taken the liberty to email you. Thank you in advance.
Rudy

Also, does anyone know of any reefs close to shore, specifically kayak accessible near Peñasco del Sol (which is where my wife and I usually stay)? I would like to do some fishing off of my kayak, while my wife sun bathes at the beach, so I want to stay near her or at least in view of the shore.. Any suggestions? Peñasco is near the port where all the boats are.

Thanks!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I wouldn't mind a few coords YumaJames, I've taken the liberty to email you. Thank you in advance.
Rudy

Also, does anyone know of any reefs close to shore, specifically kayak accessible near Peñasco del Sol (which is where my wife and I usually stay)? I would like to do some fishing off of my kayak, while my wife sun bathes at the beach, so I want to stay near her or at least in view of the shore.. Any suggestions? Peñasco is near the port where all the boats are.

Thanks!

Launch at La Bahia right across the harbor from that hotel. You can fish the rocks all along the inlet to the harbor around to Penasco Del Sol or you can fish the rocks across the water and around the corner right in front of the bars on the Malecon. Stay close to the rocks though because a lot of commercial boat traffic so it is rather chaotic. I did it once for fun. Fished right in front of Boo Bar and fished the POINT RESTAURANT at high tide but had no luck. I looked like a bad ass doing it though. Had people from the restaurant and bar cheering me on. That whole point holds fish but I think you need to get out a little further and troll or there are a few rocks that are in paddle distance if you can get the coordinates. There is a rock right out in front just to the south of Manny's about a mile out. Cholla Bay has the best fishing from the kayak in my opinion and you wont get killed by other boaters.

Mexi-Joe........

I usually troll a deep diving spoonbill along the Malecon down to Vina del Mar and along Whale Hill before coming back into the harbor in the afternoon. Almost always get two or three Leopard Groupers in the five pound class on that strip.

JJ

Mel Sloan

Mel,

I have a couple of friends who live there permanently, one of whom owns two boats and knows his way around those waters, and another one who isn't as knowledgeable but also knows his stuff and both LOVE FISHING.. I will mention it to them, maybe you can go out a few times, either buddy boating (which is a new concept to me, but one that certainly makes sense to do if fishing 10+ miles from shore), or you guys can maybe alternate boats. I know he sometimes captains another boat for a buddy of his whenever the guy visits RP, and he fishes a lot.

Another good idea might be to advertise your trips here a few days or weeks in advance and either have locals or visitors pitch in for gas in return for a fishing trip (just make sure at least one of them know what they're doing so that you guys are safe out there), just disclose the date, time, length of trip, and distance of fishing grounds (to calculate gas requirement and therefore charge per person), and stipulate that you need one of them to be knowledgeable and to also look up tide, wind info etc. (and maybe charge that individual a bit less than the rest, or to make it even more enticing, don't charge him anything).
You get to go out fishing without burning a hole in your pocket while at the same time learning the ropes.. And the guys who take you up on your offer get to go out on a real deep sea fishing trip at a fraction of the cost it would actually be if they were to charter or even split a charter.. Win-win for all parties involved IMHO.. Just my 2 centavos.. I would gladly be one of those tourists haha, good luck and keep us posted on progress.. Cheers!!

Qban-

Launch at La Bahia right across the harbor from that hotel. You can fish the rocks all along the inlet to the harbor around to Penasco Del Sol or you can fish the rocks across the water and around the corner right in front of the bars on the Malecon. Stay close to the rocks though because a lot of commercial boat traffic so it is rather chaotic. I did it once for fun. Fished right in front of Boo Bar and fished the POINT RESTAURANT at high tide but had no luck. I looked like a bad ass doing it though. Had people from the restaurant and bar cheering me on. That whole point holds fish but I think you need to get out a little further and troll or there are a few rocks that are in paddle distance if you can get the coordinates. There is a rock right out in front just to the south of Manny's about a mile out. Cholla Bay has the best fishing from the kayak in my opinion and you wont get killed by other boaters.
Awesome Joe, thanks for the info! I bet it WAS badass to fish right off of Boo bar, those bars usually have an exciting crowd.. What kind of kayak do you fish currently? I saw in one of your pics you have a cobra explorer in yellow..how did/do you like fishing out of it...? I actually have the same one in light grey.. Itsolder and more beat up looking, but it floats and very little water gets inside the hull...I have to patch it up and maybe replace the silicone in both hatches... Bought it used for $175 with a small hole that the guy tried to patch... It's really nice for the money, and it looks cool as hell, compared to other sit on tops...but I've always wondered how it performs at sea...

Buddy up with Yuma James for a good safe trip. I fished with him and he is a good safe fisherman. He knows where to go to get fish and when not to go.
We only o to PP for the winter and sure want to go out with him again. I was with him when we got into the sharkes.

BootNHat

Not necessary to tell anyone when I'm going to be here. I live here except for 2-3 months starting mid July. I can save someone a lot of money.

If anyone is interested.......

I have two Hobie Mirage pedal kayaks for sale. The only time they have ever been in the water is in my pool here in Yuma.

I bought them new from the Fastlane Sailing Center in San Diego in April of 2009. Hauled em to San Carlos and then to Bahia San Francisco in Baja. Both times we were totally blown out never even got em off the truck. Then I had a total hip replacement and can't sit at the pedal angle any longer. These kayaks are faster than anyone can possibly paddle by hand. I rented them a few times and tooled around Mission Bay and was blown away by the speed.....perfect for trolling! The two that I bought are the Mirage Sport at 9' 7" and the Mirage Outback SUV at 12' 1". I have the beach launch karts, the truck transport rack, a huge rolling storage chest with all of the gear, the big one has an Eagle Fish Finder, both have numerous rod holders, in-hull fish boxes in the bows, both can be fitted with sails and an outrigger for stability, they steer with a rudder controlled by your left hand. The foot powered Mirage drive pulls up and out of the water thru the hull for beach launching. The two piece paddles store out of the way on the gunnels.

They have been stored off the ground in in the shade in my boat house ever since I bought them.

Check em out online! I'll let em go as the pair with all of the gear for a STEAL!

You can call me at 800-494-5597 in Yuma.

JJ

YumaJames

Buddy up with Yuma James for a good safe trip. I fished with him and he is a good safe fisherman. He knows where to go to get fish and when not to go.
We only o to PP for the winter and sure want to go out with him again. I was with him when we got into the sharkes.
Thanks Bill, we had a good trip. Sorry didn't make it out there again, just been so busy the last few months. But we'll keep in touch and when you get back next winter we'll have to go out again. Take care, have a great summer!