Food brought into Mexico

We have never had any problems coming into Mexico regarding food we bring. We have a fifth wheel trailer so we do bring some of our own food and dog food (because they require a special kind. But lately I have heard about people having problems with meat. We will be heading down there in April and I just want to make sure before I go grocery shopping. Any one have any experience//knowledge about this??

badfish

I also would like to know if we got caught with beef and dog food at the border. We want to make corn beef on saturday for st. Patt'ys day. We also feed our dogs high end non allergenic dog food. I do not want to feed them alpo. Would they just take the beef and dog food or give us a ticket?

AZ ROB

I have never brought down any beef as I think the meats in R.P. are better than any meat I can find in the states. As for dog food we have been stopped with the food and told as long as it is for personal and porportional it wasn't a problem. Just bring enough food for the time you are down here and it should be ok.

We have been going to RP for 20 years and have never even been asked if we have any food. So it has never even been a question but I have heard lately of people who have been stopped and asked. Also yes we do buy alot of our food at Ley in fact most of it. But still we like to have alittle in our rv for the first couple nights so we dont have to worry about going to the store and can relax and unwind the first couple of day. We eat out alot too and really enjoy all the little restaurants we have been too:) But these are just for the nights that we are too tired from playing at the beach all to to leave!!!

jerry

If you cross when the Ag. Inspectors are there you will be told (as of last week) no beef...personal amounts of pork and chicken...no meal (aka dry dog food) if you have been warned before you could get a fine but hey it's a friggin 5th wheel,I bet you lose stuff in it all the time

Roberto

If the agriculture inspectors are working they will look over what you bring and probably confiscate beef and dog food. A friend just came through and she got inspected and dog food confiscated. She had 4 bags plus canned food.

Will you get inspected? No one knows. Will your dog food get confiscated? No one knows, but bring just what you need. Mexico has certain laws restricting what can be brought into the country, just like the US. Beef and dairy seem to be the biggies. Bring food in original packaging showing USDA certification. Shop in Penasco and avoid the uncertainty.

If you do a search on the forum, this subject has been discussed many times and a lot of information is here if you look.

The wife and I were there over Pres day weekend. Read some posts about bringing in own Beef prior to our trip. We had never had an issue in all times we have went in the past.
After reading all the positive comments about the quality of the beef there, I finally convinced her we would be buying our steaks there. We had the best rib eye I have had in years.
On a side note: whoever it was that recommended the Carniceria on 48th and Southern.........good call. I love that little market. Felt like I was taking a little trip to PP.
Great Carne Asada. Thanks for the tip.

GV Jack

Snorin God
TTodd...Out of curiosity, where did you get the rib eyes in RP?

My last two ventures to the market on Bravo were not very satisfactory.

I would appreciate good directions, not like the ones Roberto provides. None
of this around the corner, look for a tower stuff. I was so busy looking for a tower I
ended up on the Mexican Most Wanted List.

TTodd...Out of curiosity, where did you get the rib eyes in RP?

My last two ventures to the market on Bravo were not very satisfactory.

I would appreciate good directions, not like the ones Roberto provides. None
of this around the corner, look for a tower stuff. I was so busy looking for a tower I
ended up on the Mexican Most Wanted List.
I believe where we ended up was at Cedasa. If you are driving down Benito Juarez (towards Malecon) The street we ended up on was either Sonora y o Sexta or Leon de La Barrera y o Quinta. Keep in mind, I am getting this from Google Earth, so I don't know how accurate the street names are. It is the street that "T's" right in line with Pollo Lucas, so you can only turn East off of BenJuarez.
It will be on the right side of the street you are on...(think its Sexta) about .25 mi. If you get to Francisco Eusebio Kino, you may have gone too far. If anyone has better directions, please jump in. I actually found it on accident while trying to find it. Hope this helps.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
On a side note: whoever it was that recommended the Carniceria on 48th and Southern.........good call. I love that little market. Felt like I was taking a little trip to PP.
Great Carne Asada. Thanks for the tip.
That would be me. I get all my ranchera steak there. Best in the valley.

That would be me. I get all my ranchera steak there. Best in the valley.
Made another stop the last Friday.....mmmmmm SOOOO GOOOOD
There is also a great little seafood place next door, Mariscos Sinaloa I believe it is called. Had a shrimp and scallop ceviche. If you like ceviche, this is a great place. Lots of people there. Very much reminded me of being in PP.

mondone

Whitecaps
Made another stop the last Friday.....mmmmmm SOOOO GOOOOD
There is also a great little seafood place next door, Mariscos Sinaloa I believe it is called. Had a shrimp and scallop ceviche. If you like ceviche, this is a great place. Lots of people there. Very much reminded me of being in PP.
Mariscos Sinaloa is a great place to go in-between PP visits when you feel like having PP-like seafood. They used to belong to Restaurant.com and we went there all the time with the vouchers we purchased online. It was a great deal, but we haven't been back since they dropped their membership.

toetrx

Stuart, Is the market on 48th St or 48th Ave. and Southern and which corner? I was at 48th Street and Southern today and didn't see any market, just a food city...