Govt sets temporary ban for shrimp in the Pacific

jerry

On this forum half the members would eat the last shrimp in the Sea of Cortez then blame Obama

Landshark

The big question is will the ban be enforced and how steep will the penalties be. The shrimpers will be really mad and ignore this. Also doesn't mention anything about compensation/subsidies.

MIRAMAR

Jerry, I remember you talking about eating blue shrimp caught in the off-season:

"Jerry- no offense, but you talk about the "rape of the Sea of Cortez" (http://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/sea-watch.9075/#post-88350), so I'm kinda surprised you would eat blue shrimp in the off season, especially when Sea Watch says blue shrimp from Mexico are one of the shrimp you shouldn't eat:
http://www.seafoodwatch.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?gid=58"
I love blue shrimp from Penasco, and yours look delicious, but I'm not an exteme Sea Watch devotee- just saying."

http://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/odds-and-ends-from-the-south.9210/#post-89952

Don't be a hypocrite!

Reactions: ron

jerry

Trawlers do the damage while my local buds in their beat up pangas run into a few swirls on rare occasions and grab them.They rarely get so lucky and glad to support them....never eat trawler shrimp

MIRAMAR

With their gill nets and all their by- catch when they are supposed to be spawning?

Last edited:

jerry

With their gill nets and all their by- catch when they are supposed to be spawning
I do see your point but maybe once a year they run into some and sell it quietly,do not share GPS locations except maybe with a brother.Then things changed last year.The new cartel move into the Artisanal fishing camps now gets you beaten up at best if you catch shrimp and sell on your own.Narcos run refrig trucks out of Desemboque up and down the beaches to pick up catches from fishermen paid by the hour and provided with gas...almost slave labor with the threat of death as a bonus.The marines are paid off by the narcos to look the other way.....

I know I'm going to get the flame thrower treatment for my comment.

I wish the Mexican Govt. would also impose a ban (or a really, really short fishing season) for all fishing in the Sea of Cortes for a bit.

That way everything being harvested will have a chance to re-populate.
It's really sad that the fishing today is a pittance of what it was like 20-30+ years ago. All the old timers can attest to that.

I would really like to see permanent limits on how many large fish can be kept.
I know, It's exciting to see a boat come in with 6-8 80+lb groupers, but the downside is that there are
fewer fish to help keep the population strong.

I know, you will be hurting the local economies, the sport fishing/ fishing industry and everything connected
to them for awhile or you destroy what supports those industries permanently because there is nothing left to fish for.

OK, Off My Soap Box. I have my fire extinguisher handy. ;)

Kenny

I'm afraid it's going to take a lot more than shutting it down for a "bit" as the effect was being felt even when I was a kid at Cholla Bay in the late 50's. I remember fisherman saying they wanted to go down Guaymas way to where the fishing was still good even then. It's been a long prolonged assault and there's no quick fix.When you eliminate the apex predators at the top and rape the food source on the bottom while indiscriminately harvesting everything in between, you have a problem that just might not be fixable without water flowing into the Sea of Cortez again along with the obvious.
I know I'm going to get the flame thrower treatment for my comment.

Last edited:
When inshore gill nets were banned in California the results were spectacular. Now 25 or so years later the white seabass have returned in numbers never imagined and you see black seabass on every dive. Banning the shrimp boats should produce results but it takes a long time to see the effect.
When I was a kid, diving with my dad in Mexico, the undersea fish life looked completely different than it does today. My grandfather William Gieszl and his fishing buddy Gaynor Stover built the first cabin in Cholla Bay inhabited by Americans. They trucked it down in pieces on a large flatbed trailer and assembled it on the spot. They once caught a sailfish while fishing off the rocks on shore at Cholla Bay and I've seen family photos of huge white seabass laying on a canvas tarp on the beach that they caught while fishing from shore.

MIRAMAR

We were out in the water on Sunday, whale watching, and it was incredible: the number of birds, sardinos, dolphins, and 2 whales just 3.5 miles south of Las Conchas. I wish the fisherman would just take people out on tours rather than fishing with gill nets, but I realize they need to feed their families.

audsley

Unless somebody sees something I don't, the cheering seems premature. The ban is only temporary and will be lifted when the research is complete. I also get the impression this is done every year. Don't they always stop shrimping about this time? If a ban was enacted starting in October, that would be big news, but I believe this one is just routine.

From what I have heard is ,the captains stop because it cost as much or close to the same, for diesel , as their catch. As we all know they have over shrimped this area ,just a little bit. Leigh

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Unless somebody sees something I don't, the cheering seems premature. The ban is only temporary and will be lifted when the research is complete. I also get the impression this is done every year. Don't they always stop shrimping about this time? If a ban was enacted starting in October, that would be big news, but I believe this one is just routine.
Shrimp season closed yesterday. I ate the last one. :eek:

Along with a 25 lb. yellowtail and two 30 lb. white seabass we raped from ocean. :p

TICO-T

The fresh shrimp season is every month with an "R".