I had to defend my future home....

DeniseAck

I can't believe some of the idiots out there. I just felt I had to respond to them! HereAndThereWithPatAndBob » Blog Archive » Rocky Point, Mexico – What’s Your Point?

05May2012Rocky Point, Mexico – What’s Your Point?Author: Bob

View Rocky Point, Sonora, Mexico in a larger map

We know that the Mexicans can create a world famous tourist resort from nothing. They did it recently in the Caribbean at Cancun in south east Mexico, which had a population of three and a few coconut trees until 1970. Now they are trying the same trick in the north west of the country at Puerto Penasco, or Rocky Point as it is known to English speakers. An arm of the Pacific Ocean forced its way into north west Mexico, creating a great inland sea, the Sea of Cortez. The northern extremity of this sea creeps to where Rocky Point is located, only 66 miles from the border with the United States. Pat and I visited Rocky Point in May 2012. Until the 1920s, there was nothing here. A few fishermen would sometimes drop anchor, but that was all. Then someone built the first hotel and it was near enough to the United States to attract Americans fleeing from the hardships of prohibition. Gangster Al Capone from Chicago even bought a house here. Opportunistic US realtors, including Long Realty, set up offices here as early as 1926. World War Two helped the recently founded community, when the US government built a road from its border to Rocky Point. Presumably it feared that the Japanese Navy might sail up the Sea of Cortez and attack the unguarded underbelly of America in an encore of Pearl Harbor. At the same time, a railway was built linking the Baja Peninsula to the rest of Mexico. It passed through Rocky Point.

The waters of the Sea of Cortez are superbly blue and the climate is a delight, reminiscent of southern California at its best. The beaches are abundant and sandy. There are now many hotels and restaurants in Rocky Point and plenty of condos for sale. Sams Club is building a store in Rocky Point. Do not worry if your Spanish is less fluent than you would like. English is widely spoken and there are many American visitors. US dollars are accepted everywhere. There is a spectacular golf course with its green fairways vividly contrasting with the grey of the surrounding desert. The area even has its own volcano, El Pinacate, which hasn’t even bothered to erupt for 11,000 years. This is so boring compared with Vesuvius (see this website’s item on Pompeii, Italy) which has erupted on dozens of occasions in the past two thousand years. Rocky Point has focused only for the past twenty years on the idea of becoming a grand tourist resort. Before that its fishing fleet was the major source of income, even though it tended to overfish the Sea of Cortez. The Mexican government has now decreed that fishing stops in March. At the time of our visit, we saw many shrimp boats, but they were all in shipyards having barnacles scraped off their bottoms.
So how is Rocky Point doing in its ambitions to become a second Cancun? Certainly there are positives. A small airport has been opened, even though it is used only by small private planes and no commercial airline has yet been persuaded to operate scheduled flights. Preparations are being made for the building of a passenger liner dock in Rocky Point and the Holland America and Carnival lines have shown interest in operating cruises from that dock into the Sea of Cortez. These would be seven day cruises calling at a small port every day and thereby avoiding long periods at sea. To set against these positives, there are negatives. Rocky Point reminds me of a convict, innocent of the crime for which it has been sentenced, but nevertheless guilty of other serious crimes with which it has not been charged.

It is claimed that, particularly in this border area, Mexico is not safe for US tourists because of violence generated by the drug cartels. Last summer, the US State Department even issued a travel advisory warning its citizens of the dangers of visiting Rocky Point and other border areas. There is no basis for this warning, which has unfairly damaged the tourist industry in Rocky Point. There has been no violence shown towards US citizens. The place is safe. Indeed it is a good deal safer than many US cities, such as Baltimore, where Pat and I have lived. That’s the charge of which Rocky Point is innocent. Now here’s where Rocky Point is guilty. All the well designed, expensive properties here are mixed up in every part of the town with what can only be described either as slum properties or as unsightly undeveloped land. Such land is usually enclosed by rusting fences topped with barbed wire. Many streets are unpaved and lined with litter. How can anyone, either Mexican or American, enjoy a beautiful property when it is surrounded by trash? Until Rocky Point copes with this problem, its hopes of emulating Cancun are zero.

• denise (Your comment is awaiting moderation)

With all due respect to the fact you are a very well-travelled couple, I can’t emphasize enough how negative your article is! How can you possibly say “…El Pinacate, which hasn’t even bothered to erupt for 11,000 years. This is so boring compared with Vesuvius…” How dare Pinacate for not bothering to erupt and entertain you!

Your final paragraph, which is similar to a backhanded compliment, is intended to show how Rocky Point is safe, yet misses its mark. You continue to say” …unsightly undeveloped land…” (which is protected by fencing that offends your senses), shows an area in transition, not an area which has been abandoned. Unpaved streets shouldn’t be considered a problem, just an example of the simple life which still exists. That would be akin to beautiful, old cobblestone streets in Europe being compared to smooth blacktop. Not worse, just different. Trash, however, needs to be addressed everywhere, not just here. I’ve seen far worse on the beaches of the Riviera Maya, south of Cancun.

And “So how is Rocky Point doing in its ambitions to become a second Cancun?” is a totally false statement. It doesn’t WANT to be Cancun. It wants to be another beautiful location in Mexico, in which it has already succeeded. It wants to be a location where Americans can feel safe to visit for a weekend many times per year (not just a one-week-per-year visit). It wants to be a place where guests return for reasons more than the beautiful beaches and sea. It wants to be a place where Americans can call it a home away from home. And it has succeeded. Not as much as it would like to, I’m sure, but it’s on its way. Cancun has about 40 years of growth under its belt. Puerto Penasco has less than 10. Thirty years from now, I expect that it won’t be a little town anymore that still has space between beach towels. I hope to enjoy the area to its fullest until then.

Last edited:
Not to argue the point, but neither of the references to Rocky Point or Cancun are 100% correct. Cancun was developed as a tourist destination since day one. The Mexican government paid for the first hotels to be built. All of the planning and infrastructure was designed to support the tourism trade. Cancun’s expansion was created by tourist demand and a high occupancy of their resorts.

I agree, Rocky Point does not aspire to be another Cancun. It was, and remains a small fishing village. The proximity to the United States border created the draw for tourists. The Mexicans were very happy here without us. Despite what “Bob” posted in his original comments, there are not a number of hotels. There are few actual hotels here in Rocky Point. The recent push (by some) to make Rocky Point an upscale resort was not a government program. This push came from greedy developers anxious to fleece gringos flush with cash from giant increases in their homes value (created by false demand and loose lending practices in the real estate market). In an attempt to play to their greed, the developers of these condos further suggested that that the buyers could make a small fortune renting their condos similar to a luxury hotel once again creating a false demand but this time in the area of tourism.

The city is deep in debt as it struggles to define what it is. We do not have the demand that Cancun has. Craigslist is flooded with those offering their condos at discounted rates in the hopes of attracting customers to the area. We have a large number of unfinished projects that are holding Rocky Point back from becoming an upscale resort community (not to mention the projects that never made it past the planning stages despite taking millions of dollars from buyers). Much like a mall without an anchor tenant (anyone remember the Scottsdale Galeria) Rocky Point will not thrive until some major issues are addressed.

Read just the first few lines of the article at the link below to understand what I am saying:

“Scottsdale Galleria represents the "irrational exuberance" of Phoenix real estate development in the 1980's. It was an ill-conceived project that ended up being a major embarrassment and a "white elephant" in an otherwise healthy Downtown Scottsdale.

The Galleria had no anchors, and that is the main reason it failed. The developers believed that the mall could thrive without anchors, as it was focused on high-end luxury boutiques. The mall did have a food court, some restaurants, and a Cineplex Odeon multiplex (the first, and last, in Phoenix). The developers also promised future improvements such as a "walk-through" aquarium but never delivered"

Dead Malls dot Com: Feature: Scottsdale Galleria : Scottsdale, Arizona

Last edited:

DeniseAck

Exactly my point, David! Why would these people think PP wants to be another Cancun? Between ignorant people like this Bob and Pat couple and the US government scaring the bejeezus out of everyone else, Rocky Point will continue to have an uphill battle. And all things considered, out of the six or so times I've flown into the Cancun airport to visit the Riviera Maya, I've only spent about 3 hours visiting Cancun. It has no draw for me. I sure as hell am glad Rocky Point isn't on that path! In their comments on the video, they were outraged that their hotel room cost $100 per night. Sorry, what year are they stuck in? Hotels with kitchenettes are over $100 everywhere, let alone beachfront. Obviously I am an outsider, and my experience is very limited in Puerto Penasco, but I really love the place and feel some people just need to be set right.

It pisses me off when people get on their soapboxes without making any semblance of effort to be accurate!

Wahoo, I will concede the point on fishing vs. shrimping. In my book (which I fully admit I may be wrong) any living creature pulled from the sea by a human is fishing.

We will have to disagree on the other point. I don't doubt that Rocky Point has seen its struggles and its lean times. I do not doubt that through history more than a few gringos have contributed to the infrastructure of this city. That said to believe that the Mexicans were “happy” to have us just does not ring true. Using your own statement against you, why did the Mexican’s change the name of Rocky Point to Puerto Peñasco if they were so proud of the origins of their town?

I suspect that your viewpoint is from the gringo and/or colonialist perspective. We came here, we made it better, how can they not be "happy" to have us. The problem facing Rocky Point today is that RP has been built up by Americans and now the city is deep in debt trying to create what Americans expect from a municipality. The city has bent over backwards to accommodate our gringo needs while a great number of condo owners avoid their taxes (rental taxes) drawing from the illogical conclusion that if they are not Mexican, they don't have to pay.

It may surprise you to learn that my Mexican wife and many others that I have talked with in Rocky Point don’t enjoy having to pay substantially higher prices for almost everything due to the influx of gringos and our green money. There is a fine line between tolerance (acceptance) and being “happy” with our presence.

The point of my previous post is that Rocky Point is suffering from an identity crisis. It can’t quite seem to figure out what it is. It is not intending to be nor will it ever be a Cancun.

And for the record, this is not a personal issue...I am just expressing my thoughts and opinions on this subject just as you are expressing yours.

Real Estate investments was again the salvation of this town, locals had destroyed shrimping.
In addressing your most recent statement above, if you use this as an argument for our continued presence in RP, wouldn't you also have to lay blame on the gringos for the current economic woes? Is it your argument that the number of luxury condos in Rocky Point (both fully built and partially built) is appropriate for the size of this shrimping village? Your argument simply can't work both ways!

Kenny

History of Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point) And Cholla Bay, Sonora, Mexico

History of Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point) And Cholla Bay, Sonora, Mexico

With a Synopsis of Silvestre Gustavo Brown Sr.'s Early Life

Rocky Point is located just 66 miles south of the US border on the North and East end of the Sea of Cortez in Mexico.

Approximately 20,000 years ago in the Ajo Valley and continuing to Puerto Peñasco nomadic tribes and their more adventurous members started trading routes along the Sea of Cortez area.

Regular encampments, tools, etc have been found all along the hills and mountains that run from Ajo to the Sea of Cortez. Found in these sites are materials from tribes far to the north and south of the area. During these times the area supported many plants, animals, and water sources that have long since disappeared from the landscape. The downtown mountain nicknamed The Whale, has long acted as a magnet for the different cultures that have settled there.> http://www.orsonprattbrown.com/angela-silvestre.html

Be sure to check out the chat section.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Approximately 20,000 years ago in the Ajo Valley and continuing to Puerto Peñasco nomadic tribes and their more adventurous members started trading routes along the Sea of Cortez area.
I remember that. Actually, we weren't nomatic, were were curious and got lost. We were known as the Fugawes.....I'll leave it at that.

DeniseAck

Hey now, I posted Bob/Pat's blog and my response as a feel good, how much we all love this place kind of post. Why so negative? I hope PP doesn't become a Cancun, or a Miami for that matter. If I wanted those areas, I'd go there. I just didn't like the tone of these people's blog post and the comment they made about Pinacate was just rediculous and I felt I had to defend the area.

Wahoo, you say "You really have never experienced what this is until you enter a Riuu or Palace, why leave? Rocky point could never command that, it just does not have that kind of beauty sorry to say." I disagree.
I hope it doesn't turn into an all-inclusive destination. I absolutely think the area is just as beautiful as anyplace I've visited throughout the Carribean or in Mexico. I've visited them, and I've worked at them. The people who never venture off the resort aren't really getting what the locale has to offer. It could be anywhere. That's all too sanitized and cookie-cutter for me. Clearly it is the right choice for some as evidenced by the successes some of these resorts have. To each his own.

playaperro

El Pirata
Puerto Penasco vs. Rocky Point well you can always tell who the new people are, then they start to pronounce the name, it gets good after that!

DeniseAck

Wahoo--I'm not understanding you: "The Mayan Place is 10X more luxurious than the local Mayan." and "You can not imaging the trash that accumulates on an beach, but that beach needs to be like a new day every day." Please explain.

I despise litter. I wish for nothing more than everyone to dispose of trash properly and make an effort not to make as much as we currently do. We've made it our family habit to pick up trash on beaches wherever we go. Unfortunately, lots of boats/ships litter overboard and it washes up wherever the tide takes it. It's truly a sad sight to see such natural beauty marred by garbage. It was a pleasure to see beaches in PP "littered" with seashells instead of garbage. And where we were walking, you could tell the beaches weren't clean because a crew went around at dawn to rake the sand.

I'm glad PP "
could never and will never be like Cancun". Thank God! If I wanted American stores, the Hard Rock Cafe, and Starbucks, I'd stay home. We visit Mexico because I love the culture, the natural beauty, the food, and the warmth of the locals (with whom I can converse in Spanish pretty fluently). Honestly, it's a much easier flight from NY to go to the Carribean. But I fell in love with the low-key feeling in PP, and I haven't found that in a long time. I just hope it lasts.

FYI. The Riuu family owns beachfront land in Las Conchas, bought in 2007 with plans to develop in the future. I was going to tell you what they paid for it, but maybe that shoudn't be public information. Anyway, it was a lot, and as you can imagine, people like that don't spend money like that without doing some homework. The land is just before Tessoro. Some on this forum might recall that I was the Realtor on that transaction.

Denise makes a valid point that much will change/improve in the next 2 or 3 decades. I love this forum, but keep in mind that while the experts on here are arm-chair quarterbacking, there are some people working hard to bring about improved infrastructure, cleaner streets, better education and less corruption...just like in your own communities back home.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Hey Wahoo...Is there a Costco in RP? If so, where?

Denise, I grew up in the fifties, where life was so much simpler. Doin the Shag, Sock Hops, Chevrolet, Apple Pie, you know, the good old days.
Those days are long gone, but you know, things weren't so perfect then either. Lake Erie was dangerous to swim in. Fish dying in the lake and
the Cuyahoga River actually caught fire. Drugs were Asprin and Goodies Powder. The few teenage girls that got pregnant disappeared for a while.
Now the lake is clean and a great fishing area, the river is clean, but it comes with a price. The steel mills are gone, forever.

I guess what I'm saying is that in the world, life is in constant flux. Some things change for the better, some not. I went to the Walmart RP store a
couple weeks ago and it was at least 97% locals shopping there. If they can save money and get good products, more power to them. Frankly,
I prefer Super Ley, Santa Fe and the other mom and pop stores in town. I buy my meat at local small carnacerias that most Americans probably
wouldn't step in. Usually, great steaks.

The hardest part about all this is making adjustments. The older we get, adjustments become more of a chore. My first trip to RP about six years ago,
I was paralyzed in fear. I gradually got over it and after joining this forum, I really learned what life in RP is all about and I enjoy it to the Max's and
wish I hadn't been such a dolt those previous years. Would I like cleaner beaches...you bet. But what I'd really like is to have more RP friends, both local
and visitors.

Unfortunately, time and finances are going to limit my being able to do that, but you know what, here's my attitude about that. As General Custer said,
"Damn those torpedoes, full speed ahead."

I went to the Walmart RP store
I agree with your above sentiments but I have to ask why almost everyone in RP refers to Bodega Aurrera as Walmart? You poke fun at Wahoo for saying there is a Costco here but I don't see any Walmart.

It is not a Walmart, it is a grocery chain that is owned by the parent corporation of Walmart. So is Sam's, VIPS, Superama, Suburbia and many other stores. To me this is like calling AJ's a Bashas or calling a Lexus a Toyota...Can people not pronounce or remember the name? I don't see too many people calling Ley a Safeway so would someone please enlighten me as to why this occurs.

Kenny

I agree with your above sentiments but I have to ask why almost everyone in RP refers to Bodega Aurrera as Walmart? You poke fun at Wahoo for saying there is a Costco here but I don't see any Walmart.

It is not a Walmart, it is a grocery chain that is owned by the parent corporation of Walmart. So is Sam's, VIPS, Superama, Suburbia and many other stores. To me this is like calling AJ's a Bashas or calling a Lexus a Toyota...Can people not pronounce or remember the name? I don't see too many people calling Ley a Safeway so would someone please enlighten me as to why this occurs.
Or calling Disneyland Walt Land, or a nit picker, a nit picker?

GV Jack

Snorin God
Can people not pronounce or remember the name?
BINGO......But once a Walmart, always a Walmart.

Sorry Dis,
Didn't mean to offend you, Wahoo, Bodega or Lexus. And I was asking Wahoo a question, not poking fun.

Also, I can never remember how to spell Bodega Auurrrerrra. Besides, I thought an Aurrerea was something in an opera.

And as far as I'm concerned, a Lexus is a Toyota and AJ's is a Basha's..they're just two overpriced versions of the originals.

But, hey, thanks for agreeing with the sentiments in my post. Have a wonderful day.

BINGO......But once a Walmart, always a Walmart.

Sorry Dis,
Didn't mean to offend you, Wahoo, Bodega or Lexus. And I was asking Wahoo a question, not poking fun.

Also, I can never remember how to spell Bodega Auurrrerrra. Besides, I thought an Aurrerea was something in an opera.

And as far as I'm concerned, a Lexus is a Toyota and AJ's is a Basha's..they're just two overpriced versions of the originals.

But, hey, thanks for agreeing with the sentiments in my post. Have a wonderful day.

You did not offend me, it has just been driving me crazy hearing this from everyone, even my own mother does it. I truly enjoy all of your posts.

Kenny

I don't know of too many people who refer to Disneyland as "Walt Land"...maybe it is the company we keep or the circles we run in.
I'm sorry to hear that you run in circles, but it sounds like you have company "we", good. I guess it's nice to be going nowhere as long as you have company?