I'm planning my 1st trip to Rocky Point!

El Gato

Even if you come down by yourself you will have a wonderful time. It is soooo easy to meet people here wherever you go. Everyone (town people & visitors) almost always talk to each other. I don't think I've ever stood in line at Super Ley and not gotten into a conversation (sometimes I'm not sure that I've actually understood the whole conversation - but smiles cover a lot of ground). One day at Super Ley my friend and I were trying to load a 50 lb bag of dog food into the cart when a lady and her child indicated we should stop - the young girl ran off and quickly came back with her father - who loaded the sack for us. They are the types of people you meet here. Walk the beach and some child might show you a wonderful find, like a baby octopus, they just found in a tide pool. We know a lot of people who drive down by themselves - and there is always the shuttle since you don't want to drive around anyway. The weather is beautiful and the water warming up.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Fayemoon,
I drive down by myself most of the time.... and no caravanning either...... Just not at night anymore......You will have a great time!

audsley

Fayemoon,

Rocky Point is best visited with a car and friends. Part of the fun for new visitors is exploring the town and various beaches. I'd hate to see your first visit be a bust.

It's ridiculous that your friends are bailing on you, but not surprising. Perceptions invariably trump reality.

There are right ways and wrong ways to visit Rocky Point. I've known people to go down there and stay in a hotel and tell me they didn't particularly enjoy the place. That's because they did it all wrong. The wrong way, in my opinion, is to be stuck in one place unless maybe it's a luxury home on the beach at Las Conchas and you bring everything with you and accept the fact that you are only getting a small part of the RP experience. I wouldn't suggest a 4-day stay in any hotel without the use of a car. RP is easy to drive around in.

What many of us Arizona touristas do is go in a group to a rented house (Las Conchas neighborhood is best by far for the idyllic ocean tranquility scene) and split the rent, take an ice chest with a few food items and supplement at the Super Ley (big grocery store in RP). You'll want to check out Cholla Bay (about a 5-mile drive to the north), the Malecon and Old Town, the bar/nightclub scene in Mirador, and various beaches, although the beach at Las Conchas is as good as any for the laid back beach experience. There are websites that advertise beach home rentals in Las Conchas (gated community, fantastic atmosphere, perfectly safe.) There are a few minor attractions in and around Las Conchas (CEDO, oyster farm at Marua estuary, the acquarium just inside the Las Conchas entrance, etc. Just remember that I did say minor.)

You still have some time to work on your friends. Or maybe make some new ones with a little more adventure in their blood.

Last edited:
Fayemoon....check out this "Meetup" group....... http://www.meetup.com/Weekends-in-Rocky-Point/events/17463470/ They have a planned trip to Penasco for that weekend and the Roger Clynne concert. Maybe you can hook up with them to caravan down and also not be in town by yourself.

I know there are several people from this forum who will also be there for the concert. If you are on Facebook, check out the Roger Clynne page....there will be people posting about going down...

Google's map for Puerto Penasco is decent....

El Gato

Don't miss the fun of licking a large Thrifty ice cream cone and strolling along the Malecon in the old port. It is one of the places we take all our family and friends and they have always loved it. Looking over the side at the "beach???" at the old port you can see how Rocky Point got it's name :)

AZ ROB

I would suggest getting there early and seeing if you can get enough people to ride the Rus Buss and do a Taco Tour..

north

That sucks your friends are bailing on you. I go by myself sometimes, no worries. Sometimes with friends. If we go that weekend you can hang with us.

AZ ROB

Looks like the friends that were going to stay at the Spa bailed out on us guess I will party at both places now...

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
I have been so many times. This year, we have been 6. Everytime we plan to leave by two pm, we end up driving down in the dark. :-((

There have been no incidences whatsoever each time in the last 30 years after dark of any kind that I recall. Now knock on wood for that. I think its easy to tag up with others along the way.

Go. Just Go. Believe me if you haven't made it in ten years you are missing out on an experience not to be forgotten. Have fun, keep eyes peeled, watch your back, count your change, come bearing gifts of beans, rice and oil (you just might meet a local or two), tip well and bring your camera and take photos of everything you like and post on this forum.

I wish it was my first time and had the support you are getting.

You will like it, and won't wait long before your back down again...!!

have fun!

thanks for all of the insight! I'm still planning on coming down the weekend of the 10th, & I'll have at least 1 (maybe 2 or 3) friends with me. I would also really like to meet up with some people here in Phoenix & caravan down together, so if anyone is going down that weekend & would be okay with this, please send me a message, or you can hit me up on facebook: www.facebook.com/kfhudson I'll also check out that meet up site. I want to leave here early Friday morning, & come home on Monday.

mr.phx

Al Pastor Locator
I know you will ply your car full of treats and whatnot, but I traveled to RP since the 80's and no one told me about the duty free shop in Lukeville. Perfume, ciggs, sunglasses, english chocolates (from time to time), AND of course A L C O H O L tax free. You probably won't regret the stop. Located on the WEST side of the road, across from the goons and the U S port of entry. Look for POST OFFICE and its in the corner. If you purchase, you must pass go, enjoy $200 of fantastic merchandise (joke), and go on to Mexico. You can however, on your way back, after US port of entry, if you have declared nothing, can purchase and then walk back around fence line on the MX side back to the US (60 seconds or less), check in as a pedestrian once again on the US side and walk back to your vehicle and go home. Keep in mind, rule of thumb: PER PERSON: Upon returning to the US 1 Liter of booze, or 1 six pack of beer, or 1 bottle of wine. No exceptions. Hope that helps!

Its good to hear you are going! Wahoo! Check out my albums in the photo section. Have a blast! Bring noodles or floaties of some kind for the ocean, you won't regret it!:bunny:

Attachments