Insurance question

danieT

We got down this last weekend and we decided to change our insurance on our Sandy beach condo due to we got a bunch of new stuff. We got the insurance about 5 m0nths ago. Jimmy asked me to take care of it while he was fishing. I went to the Caborca highway office first that's where we bought the insurance, The people there sent me to the other office on the main street highway. They had our file there. When they opened it the cash we gave them for our insurance months ago was inside the file on a paper clip. I asked the woman about this but she would not say anything and said the boss would call us. Never heard from him.

We are worried about this. Does anyone have knowledge about insurance in Mexico? If we get broke into, will we have insurance? What happens if they lose the money? Is this normal?

JWT

User is currently banned
I ran this by my ex father in law in Tucson who has been in insurance for a long time. He laughed and said it might be a old scam. He says the salesman can keep the cash and if no claim he gets all the money and nobody knows anything. Maybe the folks at ProAll have heard about this and can explain all this? What happens if we get broke into and lose a bunch?

So it has been two months since the news broke about the bogus insurance policies many of us had for , in my instance for at least two years that I investigated. I was promised answers and have not gotten them. Now I am bringing this issue up again however I would ask that this not get ugly like the last thread on this issue. I questioned Paty if ProAlliance receives notice when an insurance policy is cancelled and I was told no. How can that be? What happened to the money of those canceled policies? What is the corporate office of the insurance company saying? I don't expect monetary reimbursement. I just want some answers.

ben21

I hear what you're saying, but unfortunately in Mexico, these types of things are par for the course. Whether you were ripped off, or it was an honest mistake, it won't be investigated to the extent that it would in the states. As was mentioned before, this type of thing would most likely lead to immediate revocation of a license in the US.

SeaSwell

Headin' to the Bezch
This is becoming a scary topic. We had a policy with a company down there and someone got into our garage through a window and stole several things. There was no significant damage to the window so we assumed that maybe the lock was open or broken. The insurance company told us to go back and break a window. Uh no! We switched companies. I hear so many horror stories and pray that if something really bad happens I will be covered.

It is sad because you want to support the town but not to the point of losing your money and not getting the product delivery

This is becoming a scary topic. We had a policy with a company down there and someone got into our garage through a window and stole several things. There was no significant damage to the window so we assumed that maybe the lock was open or broken. The insurance company told us to go back and break a window. Uh no! We switched companies. I hear so many horror stories and pray that if something really bad happens I will be covered.
By having evidence of a forced entry (a broken window) makes it much easier to submit and process a claim.

In Mexico the claim process is different compared to the USA.
In the USA, I have had friends who had things stolen from their garage no sign of forced entry and it was covered, in Mexico it wouldn't have been covered.

I have had to do claims with Allstate (USA) and AXA (Mexico) and the Allstate claim was processed with much less effort.
In my Mexico claim an almost forced door wasn't covered but broken windows were.
The AXA adjusters tried to dismiss many of the stolen items and damage from the break in.
My word of advice is take pictures, have copies of receipts for everything and be prepared to have everything depreciated to 50% of it's value.
I don't know if any of the Mexican insurance companies do replacement value coverage.

I had a claim a few years ago, that the longtime RP agent added 50-150% to an item's value just to get a fair settlement from the insurance adjuster, because the adjusters job is to minimize the claim. So my insurance agent was looking out for his customer.
Hint, it wasn't Pro Alliance.

For my recent claim, Pro Alliance was my agent, Paty and Rosie were able to deal with the adjusters so my claim settlement was processed mostly fair.
Fortunately I had photos and receipts from on-line purchases to support much of my claim.

The thing many people don't fully realize is that in a robbery/break-in "it's just stuff and it can be replaced", unlike a violent crime or accident where
somebody is hurt badly or dies.

Last edited:

apricot

I hear what you're saying, but unfortunately in Mexico, these types of things are par for the course. Whether you were ripped off, or it was an honest mistake, it won't be investigated to the extent that it would in the states. As was mentioned before, this type of thing would most likely lead to immediate revocation of a license in the US.
I hear what you're saying too, but really, what most of us want is an explanation from Rosie to the community as to what happened (and it doesn't need to be witty).