Jellyfish stings?

Wingman

I have heard many different solutions on how to handle stings and was wondering if one is considered the best? I'm trying to plan ahead, and I'm sure my seven year old daughter would not appreciate me pee on her.

Landshark

We have discussed jellyfish sting treatments many times on here so try searching the forum. I have never been stung but from what I read vinegar is the best treatment option. They say to apply it immediately which prevents unfired cells from firing during tentacle removal from the sting area. I have a spray bottle full and ready just in case. As with stingray stings, it is suggested to immerse the sting area in hot water, basically as hot as you can stand. The target temp is 122 degrees. This will help break down the protein-based venom. Others on here will different ideas but this is what I will do if any of my family is stung.

Wingman

Sounds like video.gear is the way to go. I will have a spray bottle on hand just in case. Thanks for the suggestions.

mondone

Whitecaps
I've posted this advice a couple times before on the forum but I guess it's time to give another refresher being it this time of year:

As a person who has had considerable training and internship in Poison Control Centers, I can tell you that there are no conclusive research studies that have proved that urine or ammonia has any value whatsoever in relieving jellyfish stings. If fact, depending on the urine, it can actually make it worse. Urine contains so much fresh water, it will actually make any remaining nematocysts ( which contain the toxin that causes the discomfort) to fire, releasing more toxin. That's why we recommend using seawater only to rinse the area. Vinegar is 5% acetic acid,(CH3COOH) which has shown to neutralize unfired nematocysts so that they cannot further inject venom. Now, keep in mind, this is true for jellyfish stings, not the Portuguese Man-O-War, a jellyfish look-a-like, but different creature. Some of our studies have shown vinegar to cause their nematocysts to release venom. That is why I recommend the baking soda/seawater paste instead. There is a product you may want to want to have with you called Jellyfish Squish spray. I keep a couple bottles in my casa just in case. It's good to use after the treatments above to help the pain and discomfort.

Landshark

Good stuff Mondone. Thanks! I found a 4oz spray of Jellyfish Squish Sting Treatment on Amazon for $40. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001BJJVD6/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1307040070&sr=8-1&condition=new Sounds expensive. Is there a better place to get it?

Found this article. http://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/jellyfish-sting-treatments.97568/ What do you think about Sting Away? Price is much better.
http://www.amazon.com/Sting-Away-Jellyfish-Treatment/dp/B00CF8RUEO
I was able to buy a 4oz bottle on Ebay for $12.

mondone

Whitecaps
$40 is crazy, no way it should be that expensive. It's basically 4% lidocaine in a soothing vehicle of aloe and eucalyptus oil. The last time I purchased it on Amazon a couple years ago it was $8.31 for 4oz spray bottle. I wasn't aware of Sting Away, but essentially it has the anesthetics menthol and eugenol (a compound found in clove oil, mostly used in dental applications). I prefer using lidocaine myself. It also appears to contain ibuprofen (Motrin or Advil), but I honestly prefer to use those anti-inflammatory type drugs internally rather than use externally, which I would recommend using along with the Squish product.

BTW, I don't know if those of you who purchase from Amazon are aware of AmazonSmile. It is a new program where Amazon donates to your favorite charity when you shop. You can check it out at http://smile.amazon.com/about/ref=smi_ge_ul_lm_raas . When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the same prices and product selection as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. You can choose from nearly one million organizations to support. When I shop, a portion of my purchases goes to CEDO (Intercultural Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans) in Las Conchas/Tucson. Check it out!

Last edited: