Keys

ben21

Don't want to hijack this thread, but it reminds me of a story from a long time ago...

I was 18 and in RP with a group of about 5 friends. We were driving on the main road crossing the railroad tracks, when out of nowhere car hit us trying to make a left from where there was a fruit stand. The collision wasn't really serious, but within 5 minutes there were several police trucks on scene. Needless to say we were a little nervous. Unbeknownst to me at the time, when there is an accident they take both cars until fault is determined. So they took my car away and told me to show up at the station later that evening for some sort of court appearance. At the time, this was the building where you make a left to go to Las Conchas.

Of course we were all very skeptical as to what was going to happen when we got there that evening. Was this a scam? Will I ever get my car back? So we show up at the station and they hold some sort of "trial". Basically we each said what happened and then had to answer questions directed at us. My Spanish was very poor at the time so I didn't really know what was going on. Finally it appeared that a decision was made and that we were not at fault and that the lady needed to pay for damages to my car. It turns out the lady at the juice stand gave a statement to the cops backing me up. I didn't really care about the damage to the car that much, and I definitely didn't want some local lady to have to pay what was most likely 2 months salary to fix it. So I thought, great we're on our way, lets go drinking!

Well you're probably wondering, "What does this have to do with keys?"... Well as we get ready to leave the station, one of the cops goes to get our keys. After a few minutes, they still can't find them. Before we know if there's at least half a dozen cops sifting through drawers, trash cans, etc looking for the keys. Of course I'm very skeptical about the whole process at this point. After about a half hour they tell me that they have no clue what happened to them, but they'll get a locksmith out there first thing in the morning. Needless to say I had my doubts and thought that there was a good chance the car would be gone come the next morning.

At this point there was nothing left to do other than go to Manny's and hope for the best the next day. Upon our arrival the next morning, not only was my car still there, there was actually a locksmith working on the trunk lock to make a key! About 10 minutes later we had a key and the police informed us that we can go on our way. Before that event I always had a preconceived notion about how things happen in Mexico based off of dumb things that people say (most of whom have never been to Mexico). I know not everything is perfect, but this experience really taught me a lot. So long story short... If you need a key made, try the cops!

TICO-T

Don't want to hijack this thread, but it reminds me of a story from a long time ago...

I was 18 and in RP with a group of about 5 friends. We were driving on the main road crossing the railroad tracks, when out of nowhere car hit us trying to make a left from where there was a fruit stand. The collision wasn't really serious, but within 5 minutes there were several police trucks on scene. Needless to say we were a little nervous. Unbeknownst to me at the time, when there is an accident they take both cars until fault is determined. So they took my car away and told me to show up at the station later that evening for some sort of court appearance. At the time, this was the building where you make a left to go to Las Conchas.

Of course we were all very skeptical as to what was going to happen when we got there that evening. Was this a scam? Will I ever get my car back? So we show up at the station and they hold some sort of "trial". Basically we each said what happened and then had to answer questions directed at us. My Spanish was very poor at the time so I didn't really know what was going on. Finally it appeared that a decision was made and that we were not at fault and that the lady needed to pay for damages to my car. It turns out the lady at the juice stand gave a statement to the cops backing me up. I didn't really care about the damage to the car that much, and I definitely didn't want some local lady to have to pay what was most likely 2 months salary to fix it. So I thought, great we're on our way, lets go drinking!

Well you're probably wondering, "What does this have to do with keys?"... Well as we get ready to leave the station, one of the cops goes to get our keys. After a few minutes, they still can't find them. Before we know if there's at least half a dozen cops sifting through drawers, trash cans, etc looking for the keys. Of course I'm very skeptical about the whole process at this point. After about a half hour they tell me that they have no clue what happened to them, but they'll get a locksmith out there first thing in the morning. Needless to say I had my doubts and thought that there was a good chance the car would be gone come the next morning.

At this point there was nothing left to do other than go to Manny's and hope for the best the next day. Upon our arrival the next morning, not only was my car still there, there was actually a locksmith working on the trunk lock to make a key! About 10 minutes later we had a key and the police informed us that we can go on our way. Before that event I always had a preconceived notion about how things happen in Mexico based off of dumb things that people say (most of whom have never been to Mexico). I know not everything is perfect, but this experience really taught me a lot. So long story short... If you need a key made, try the cops!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
in Mexico when in doubt always ring the bell or knock in the door, you'll be amazed at the results you get, it is a completely different culture when it comes to Home Business!!

mis2810

There is also a hardware store that makes keys on No Reeleccion just before the railroad track on the right hand side as you're driving toward Sandy Beach.

Years ago my father locked his keys in his car. We went to the front desk and asked if they could call a locksmith, which they did, sort of. A few minutes later a cab pulled in the driver got out with a bag of slim jims and had the car open in less than five minutes and 20 dollars later ?? So if you lock your keys in your car hail a cab !

gup

While reporting a stolen Honda generator, at police station (futile results), a young local Mx. girl helped in translation to chief of police. After the above session, I asked her what she was doing here? She had witnessed a minor car accident, in which it was obvious that the Mx. driver was at fault, but had raved about all the money that was to be coming his way, from the gringo.
She said that she was going to use her translation help, to tell the true course of events as she saw them, to the police.
I didn't hang around for the results, but I'm sure that true justice prevailed.

At this point there was nothing left to do other than go to Manny's and hope for the best the next day. Upon our arrival the next morning, not only was my car still there, there was actually a locksmith working on the trunk lock to make a key! About 10 minutes later we had a key and the police informed us that we can go on our way. Before that event I always had a preconceived notion about how things happen in Mexico based off of dumb things that people say (most of whom have never been to Mexico). I know not everything is perfect, but this experience really taught me a lot. So long story short... If you need a key made, try the cops![/QUOTE]