Las Palomas update?

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Hmmm....he or she is from Vegas.....on an Olympic sport committee which makes me think he or she is a 'Nudes on Ice" producer and an Olympic Ice dancing instructor....good jobs both if you can get them...The Dubai this is a bit of a puzzle...maybe I'm wrong and a English school administrator is more like it...
good research, impressed....
1. I like the olympic dancing instructor comment- that was funny. Any involvement would not be directly affiliated with a sporting events organization.
2. Dubai, somewhat of a sore subject today. I had moved on some property at the right time, however held on to 1 property that I should have sold (occupancy levels clouded my judgement at the time).
3. I could never qualify to be an English school administrator- can't spell and grammar is horrible. Thus the reason why I need help from others to proof my correspondence. Unfortunately I am too embarrased to have anyone proof my posts on this site.

This is a little off the topic, but this thread seems the best place to air what I was told last week by an owner at Las Palomas. I was surprised that the situation regarding LP's 'check-ins' had degraded to this point. I hope this was an isolated incident. I have two friends that are going to enjoy our condo (I hope) free of charge shortly, and I wouldn't want this to happen to them.

I was talking to an owner at LP while watching basketball at a local bar, and they told me that they had family friends use their condo. The family friends went to the Front Desk to get their wristbands, account set up, etc., then were pulled aside into another, separate room and questioned about a number of things. They were asked how well they knew the owners, if they had paid them money to stay in the condo, how they obtained information about the condo, and if they found out about the condo through the Internet (vrbo, craigslist), etc.

The friends that used the condo answered everything fine and were 'released'. According to the owner, they had a great time, but let the owner know that they were asked these questions. The owner had just found out about the interrogation, but it was the weekend, so they couldn't go to their HOA until the following Monday to find out why their friends were asked these questions. I don't know what explanation LP could give about this situation.

What I'd like to know is, has this happened to anyone else checking in at LP?

AZ ROB

We just got a letter from the Sonoran Spa stating that all guest of owners need to check in at the HOA office in order to get the keys....:rofl: I think all of my guest will just get the keys from me here in Phoenix...

az-dan

My Two Cents

This is a little off the topic, but this thread seems the best place to air what I was told last week by an owner at Las Palomas. I was surprised that the situation regarding LP's 'check-ins' had degraded to this point. I hope this was an isolated incident. I have two friends that are going to enjoy our condo (I hope) free of charge shortly, and I wouldn't want this to happen to them.

I was talking to an owner at LP while watching basketball at a local bar, and they told me that they had family friends use their condo. The family friends went to the Front Desk to get their wristbands, account set up, etc., then were pulled aside into another, separate room and questioned about a number of things. They were asked how well they knew the owners, if they had paid them money to stay in the condo, how they obtained information about the condo, and if they found out about the condo through the Internet (vrbo, craigslist), etc.

The friends that used the condo answered everything fine and were 'released'. According to the owner, they had a great time, but let the owner know that they were asked these questions. The owner had just found out about the interrogation, but it was the weekend, so they couldn't go to their HOA until the following Monday to find out why their friends were asked these questions. I don't know what explanation LP could give about this situation.

What I'd like to know is, has this happened to anyone else checking in at LP?
This is just another example of how a few people who do not want to follow the renting rules of the majority places additional scrutiny on those that do follow the rules. I believe that everyone should check in including owners and if they are a “non paying guest of the owner” they should sign a paper attesting that they have not paid anyone for their stay. I just wonder how many renters that paid the owner would be surprised that they were involved in cheating. Cheating owners cheat the management company, they cheat the HOA (every owner) out of impact fees, they cheat the government both Mexican and American out of taxes and because they cheat they can offer discounts that make it difficult for honorable owners to compete with. Owners and renters who lie and cheat the system hurt all of us. If anyone has a better idea of how to verify that “non paying guest” are really non paying without making everyone check in please speak up. Remember it’s the cheats that have made this process more difficult for all of us. Just the opinion of a Sonoran Sea owner.

jerry

Dan you are so busy calling touch fouls that you miss the bigger point.More people come to town,,,have fun...they then come back bringing extra people with them.Maybe next time rent a nicer place and spend more money. The best way to deal with this is look the other way unless it's blatant.The constant rental of the units that are angering you will soon degrade them to the point no one will want to rent them.

az-dan

My reply was not anger I was just explaining why the additional scrutiny that we all have to go through are because of cheats. I’m sorry but looking the “other way” or cheating has never been in my character and I believe that would apply to most people. How does one decide which rules or things to look the other way on? Times are tough, rentals are bad and cash flow sucks so how does looking the other way benefit anyone besides the cheats. How many renters of cheats have there been that had a problem with the unit and was stuck? How about the renters that gets a unit that the cheating owners do not take care of? What will they say to friends and family about RP then? The management companies for better or worse are our partners, and we need them. If they cannot make a profit then they will not be our partner long and how will we ever find another one when we have nothing to offer them because we (the owners) chose to look the other way. We have impact fees that all renters pay per night to help pay for the additional wear and tear on our complex. Losing those fees means that all owners (renting or not) must pay more for HOA fees. If there are rules that I don’t agree with I chose to work with other owners that have the same interest and make changes. If I’m stuck and don’t like the rules then I sell and buy where I can abide by the rules.

Last edited:

jerry

Maybe if you guys started your own rental company and kicked out the crooks that seem to be stealing money from your fellow owners (looking the other way on this one Dan?) things might work out better.Charge 25% instead of 40 and nickel and dime the renters to get the difference.

My reply was not anger I was just explaining why the additional scrutiny that we all have to go through are because of cheats. I’m sorry but looking the “other way” or cheating has never been in my character and I believe that would apply to most people. How does one decide which rules or things to look the other way on? Times are tough, rentals are bad and cash flow sucks so how does looking the other way benefit anyone besides the cheats. How many renters of cheats have there been that had a problem with the unit and was stuck? How about the renters that gets a unit that the cheating owners do not take care of? What will they say to friends and family about RP then? The management companies for better or worse are our partners, and we need them. If they cannot make a profit then they will not be our partner long and how will we ever find another one when we have nothing to offer them because we (the owners) chose to look the other way. We have impact fees that all renters pay per night to help pay for the additional wear and tear on our complex. Losing those fees means that all owners (renting or not) must pay more for HOA fees. If there are rules that I don’t agree with I chose to work with other owners that have the same interest and make changes. If I’m stuck and don’t like the rules then I sell and buy where I can abide by the rules.

ernesto

Are you the Dan that recently sent out an e mail with statistics on occupancy levels in the resorts on Sandy Beach?

I’m sorry but looking the “other way” or cheating has never been in my character and I believe that would apply to most people.
Funny how some people always feel the need to speak for other people. That is how the LP SC works. No need to ask opinions or take votes. Also, it is ok to infringe on everyone's rights, because the "cheats" have to be controlled. So what if this creates a huge inconvenience for others or in fact hurts the customer experience.

If you cast a wide enough net, you will catch more fish. You will also kill dolphins.

az-dan

Wow how do you stretch "what I believe" into "speaking for other people". I don't speak for anyone but myself. Any renter who books though the management company or through the owner and management company shouldn’t have a problem. The problem is with “non paying owner guest” and yes they now have to be inconvenienced because all owners are now suspect because of the cheats. What rights are being infringed on? When we purchased we had the right to inform ourselves of the rules, we had the right to go somewhere else if we didn’t like them, we have the right to change the rules that we don’t like, we also have the right to enforce those rules and we have the right to sell if we cannot live with the rules. Living in a community that has and HOA is a choice, some like it and some don’t. I don’t know of anyone that didn’t have the right to purchase wherever they could afford. Again this is my opinion as an owner at the Sonoran Sea.

The problem is with “non paying owner guest” and yes they now have to be inconvenienced because all owners are now suspect because of the cheats. What rights are being infringed on? .
So "reserving as guest" is kinda like "driving while black". You are assumed guilty until you prove yourself otherwise.

I think you have answered you own question on what rights have been infringed on.

az-dan

Maybe if you guys started your own rental company and kicked out the crooks that seem to be stealing money from your fellow owners (looking the other way on this one Dan?) things might work out better.Charge 25% instead of 40 and nickel and dime the renters to get the difference.
At the Sonoran Sea the HOA is working with and has oversight of the management company. The problem is cash flow, more going out than what is coming in, that is a problem that “I believe” (again my opinion) most of us have. There is no “looking the other way”. It is best for us to unite and work together with the management company to work through this problem so that we all get paid, enforce the rules and agreements that we have all agreed to and have a resort that we can be happy with (again just my opinion).

az-dan

So "reserving as guest" is kinda like "driving while black". You are assumed guilty until you prove yourself otherwise.

I think you have answered you own question on what rights have been infringed on.
I think the better examples would be more like people drive drunk and believe that they do not have to obey that rules, then we as divers are stopped at road blocks and questioned. Or being a US citizen driving down a road that I paid taxes to build has to stop to answer questions about my citizenship.

ernesto

Wow how do you stretch "what I believe" into "speaking for other people". I don't speak for anyone but myself. Any renter who books though the management company or through the owner and management company shouldn’t have a problem. The problem is with “non paying owner guest” and yes they now have to be inconvenienced because all owners are now suspect because of the cheats. What rights are being infringed on? When we purchased we had the right to inform ourselves of the rules, we had the right to go somewhere else if we didn’t like them, we have the right to change the rules that we don’t like, we also have the right to enforce those rules and we have the right to sell if we cannot live with the rules. Living in a community that has and HOA is a choice, some like it and some don’t. I don’t know of anyone that didn’t have the right to purchase wherever they could afford. Again this is my opinion as an owner at the Sonoran Sea.
Any owner who booked thru the rental co. was ripped off for thousands of dollars at LP. Something you conveniently ignore.