Longer visa?

We have always gotten FMM's at the border. We come down erratically for varying periods of time. Once our FMM's expired while we were in the US (illness had kept us 'up' longer than we had planned for) and we told we could be fined for that when we crossed and got new ones. Is there a document that we could get that would last longer than the FMM? Can we get it here in RP? Thanks for any info!!

Roberto

We have always gotten FMM's at the border. We come down erratically for varying periods of time. Once our FMM's expired while we were in the US (illness had kept us 'up' longer than we had planned for) and we told we could be fined for that when we crossed and got new ones. Is there a document that we could get that would last longer than the FMM? Can we get it here in RP? Thanks for any info!!
You can apply for an FM3, now called Inmagrado I think. Good for a year but moe hassle and more expensive. The FMM is good for 6 months, cheap and easy to get right at the border whenever the border is open. I'd stick with that if I were you.

You can apply for an FM3, now called Inmagrado I think. Good for a year but moe hassle and more expensive. The FMM is good for 6 months, cheap and easy to get right at the border whenever the border is open. I'd stick with that if I were you.
Where do I go at the border to get an FMM? How much does it cost? Thank you.

Roberto

The office is in the building immediately on your right hand side after you cross. Go in and complete the required paperwork, pay at the bank across the street, go back and pick up the FMM. 6 months is less than $30. No you cannot get the FMM in Penasco.

Cortez2

You do not need a visa for Penasco it is in the free zone which now extends to Caborca. The only reason you would need a visa is to conduct business as buying a property. You can stay in the freezone indefintely

You do not need a visa for Penasco it is in the free zone which now extends to Caborca. The only reason you would need a visa is to conduct business as buying a property. You can stay in the freezone indefintely
I'm sorry, Cortez, but that simply isn't true. Foreigners cannot stay indefinitely just because it's the Free Zone. The Free Zone has to do with trade importations and car permits ( Mexico Law Free Zone ) and nothing at all to do with visas or staying in Penasco. There are people who stay indefinitely without visas, but that's only because enforcement is lax and we'd rather have them here than not.
According to law, if you're staying more than 72 hours, you need either an FMM or your Inmigrado.
I don't foresee you having a problem, but it's conceivable that if something happened (bad accident, for example), you might be asked to show proof of status here, just like they would ask in any country in the world.

Roberto

I'm sorry, Cortez, but that simply isn't true. Foreigners cannot stay indefinitely just because it's the Free Zone. The Free Zone has to do with trade importations and car permits ( Mexico Law Free Zone ) and nothing at all to do with visas or staying in Penasco. There are people who stay indefinitely without visas, but that's only because enforcement is lax and we'd rather have them here than not.
According to law, if you're staying more than 72 hours, you need either an FMM or your Inmigrado.
I don't foresee you having a problem, but it's conceivable that if something happened (bad accident, for example), you might be asked to show proof of status here, just like they would ask in any country in the world.
That is my understanding also after a discussion with the head of the local immigration office. He said if you are here for more that 6 or 7 days they would like to see an FMM and that they were working on being able to provide them here.

garyd

That is my understanding also after a discussion with the head of the local immigration office. He said if you are here for more that 6 or 7 days they would like to see an FMM and that they were working on being able to provide them here.
It was easier when you could get them in PP

roky

greetings, and thanks for all the helpful info on this forum -- i am writing this from our favorite spot in penasco, dream weaver, having arrived last night -- and although we would love to stay longer, we also have a bit spontaneously decided to continue father south, to desemboque, puerto lobos, perhaps even guaymas -- using the new coastal highway for part of the way -- i didn't realize that i can't get the fmm here -- it would appear that we must go back to the lukeville/sonoyta crossing to obtain one? -- well, sometimes spontaneous doesn't work out so well, i guess

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
FYI, when you go to Sonoyta for your FMM, the bank (Santander) across the street from the immigration office, will not accept U.S. dollars for any immigration papers, so you need to stop and sell some dollars for pesos, before you arrivive. It's only logical you would need to apply in Sonoyta, your point of entry into Mexico, I bet there are alot of Mexicans that wish they could drive 60 miles into the U.S. before they had to apply for they're visas. The immigration office also can take, the payment if they are in the mood too, but more than likely they will send you to the bank.

roky

the pesos are no problem, as that is all i have, other than $20 us, although i thought i had read on another forum that as long as i didn't go south of empalme, or east of rt. 15, there was no charge?

you're right, it is fortunate to be able to come to this area with no fmm -- however, since the sonoyta crossing is only 30 miles from our home, i think we will continue on home, to return soon when we are better prepared, with our fmm

a funny story, related to all the mexican horror stories going around up north: -- we left why, az on such short notice because of a disagreement i had with a new neighbor in our rv park, the result of which he threatened to shoot me -- as you probably know, a lot of people(not me) in az are "packing" -- after 40 yrs working in mental health, i will suggest that this guy is unstable, and dangerous -- the sheriff's response, after i summoned them, was that i should buy a gun -- my response was "where can we go where it is safe?" -- mexico was the answer -- and so, here we are

i realize that there are bandits on both sides of the border, and i can deal with that risk -- its knowing that when i walk on sandy beach here, and pass a gringo, he's not armed -- anyone is welcome to disagree, of course, but based on the extent of mental illness in our culture, i feel much safer here

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
You are probably right about Empalme, I went fishing in Lake Novillo a few years ago.....no car permit, no visa but it was only a 48 hour trip, the limit in Mexico as mentioned before is 72 hours, without a visa. What are you doing in Why, that place in the winter is full of pikers, the people are the tightest (cheapest) in the world, the men are so tight, when they blink it pulls there foreskins back.

roky

i will admit, you might be talking about me -- lets just say that we live on a tight budget -- 2 travel trailers, solar, an old chevy van, do all my own repairs, last time i hired anyone was about 1970 -- carried water from a hand-dug well(my hands) for years, crapped in an outhouse -- as far as my ability to do for myself, i maybe more mexican than american, which is the way the us used to be -- again, in my humble opinion

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
i will admit, you might be talking about me -- lets just say that we live on a tight budget -- 2 travel trailers, solar, an old chevy van, do all my own repairs, last time i hired anyone was about 1970 -- carried water from a hand-dug well(my hands) for years, crapped in an outhouse -- as far as my ability to do for myself, i maybe more mexican than american, which is the way the us used to be -- again, in my humble opinion
There you go, whats wrong with that, thats the way it is in a lot of places. I was raised on a ranch too, El Ranch Market. I have seen outhouses that with the lime you throw on top of the pile that look like a vocano about to go off.

roky

i loved that outhouse, only replaced it with a septic system at my then-wife's request -- i later said if we all had to dig the leach field by hand, we'd all stick with an out house -- a lot of digging for a leach field, plus the gravel, etc. -- and a well maintained out house is just fine

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
We have our outhouses in Lagrimas, built out of light weight plywood, so when they fill up, we just move them, onto the new hole we dug. Pretty cheap alternative to septics and leach lines, I finally just this year put a solar panel on one to run a fart fan, the ladies in lagrimas really appreciated that one.