Memorial Weekend Derby/Fish Fry

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Since pickings were slim for you on the last trip what is the leading fish in your division?

Kelney, I don't even think they have any other kayak entries. I know a boat or two brought in 2 40lb Pinto... That's big for a Pinto to my understanding. The one I caught in Santo Tomas had to have been 30lb (unconfirmed). I could barely hold it up and I work out so I have a decent idea of how much weight that would have been.

I was trying to catch a flounder inside the bay from Tucson beach east because the water was fairly calm but no luck. Water temp was hovering around 78 79 so I think it's a little warm for the flounder now... I got some good bottom scampi jigs for Memorial. We'll see what happens.

You know it's funny, I was born and grew up in relative close proximity to the ocean for the (slightly) greater part of my life (Cuba until age 11 and Florida until age 17), and NEVER, I mean NOT ONCE, did I go or considered going fishing... it really is sad lol..

It wasn't until after living in AZ, and going back to Cuba to visit family in 2010 that my cousin, well her husband, took me on a deepsea fishing trip lasting 2 days that I experienced the joy and adrenaline of catching (a) fish!! We were hand-lining as this is far more prevalent in Cuba..
Well.. long story short, I came back to AZ hooked on fishing, and it is now one of my greatest passions in life.

Needless to say, I never bothered to learn about tides, tide tables, solunar charts, etc. Btw, thanks for the above links Joe, that's what got me reading about tides.. that second link does a great job at explaining them :)

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the best fishing in June should take place on or around Sat, Jun 4th..?

Kelney

Well MJ if I was not headed to the mountains that weekend I would try to give you a little competition from my float tube. I have been craving to sling some iron. My float tube is not very conducive to keeping fish though. I'll need to work on that.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Well MJ if I was not headed to the mountains that weekend I would try to give you a little competition from my float tube. I have been craving to sling some iron. My float tube is not very conducive to keeping fish though. I'll need to work on that.

Sometimes the mountains are just as nice. July through September I like to go up there instead. Have fun. Hopefully I'll be able to post some good news when I get back.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
You know it's funny, I was born and grew up in relative close proximity to the ocean for the (slightly) greater part of my life (Cuba until age 11 and Florida until age 17), and NEVER, I mean NOT ONCE, did I go or considered going fishing... it really is sad lol..

It wasn't until after living in AZ, and going back to Cuba to visit family in 2010 that my cousin, well her husband, took me on a deepsea fishing trip lasting 2 days that I experienced the joy and adrenaline of catching (a) fish!! We were hand-lining as this is far more prevalent in Cuba..
Well.. long story short, I came back to AZ hooked on fishing, and it is now one of my greatest passions in life.

Needless to say, I never bothered to learn about tides, tide tables, solunar charts, etc. Btw, thanks for the above links Joe, that's what got me reading about tides.. that second link does a great job at explaining them :)

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the best fishing in June should take place on or around Sat, Jun 4th..?

Q

Yes, theoretically of course. The thing about tide coefficient and in particular the weekend you're speaking of is that the tidal coefficient is high that weekend because the difference between the high tide and low is at it greatest difference which tells us that it is going to be an extreme high tide and very low tide. That means a lot of water displacement so the current tends to be extreme as well. It's hard to get bait down to the bottom if you're not using 4 - 8oz of weight. If you're out in 30 feet of water in the panga or kayak you need at least 4-6oz to get on the bottom on these weekends. Add wind, add more weight because the wind is going to make even more of a difference. You cant go out in the yak or panga and be dropping 1 and 3/4oz jigs and expect to get on the bottom.

Good example, this past weekend the tide coefficient was low because it was a slack tide. Very low difference between high and low tide so not much water coming and going during the tide swings... now it was windy AF so that made it horrible in itself but if it wasn't windy you could have been fishing with 1 and 3/4oz jigs in 30 ft of water no problem.

Theoretically the more water coming and going the more shit gets stirred up, more food source for every part of the food cycle which means more of the fish were trying to catch. So, that with the solunar tables which I know nothing about and moon phase they're able to create some kind of probability. I think it's pretty cool. I think much of it may be anecdotal but I have actually caught all of my fish on high or fairly high probability weekends...

However, I think the wind is more of a determining factor when it comes to fish productivity in Rocky Point.

Kelney, I don't even think they have any other kayak entries. I know a boat or two brought in 2 40lb Pinto... That's big for a Pinto to my understanding. The one I caught in Santo Tomas had to have been 30lb (unconfirmed). I could barely hold it up and I work out so I have a decent idea of how much weight that would have been.

I was trying to catch a flounder inside the bay from Tucson beach east because the water was fairly calm but no luck. Water temp was hovering around 78 79 so I think it's a little warm for the flounder now... I got some good bottom scampi jigs for Memorial. We'll see what happens.
Joe, My brother in law is taking his kayak down next weekend, does he need a license to fish out it? Thanks Vern

The 61st Cholla Bay Sportsmens Club fishing derby finale/ fish fry is only a week away. The 10 day wind report has come out with initial projections for calm seas and hopefully good fishing. The homework's done, read up!
Joe, What are the dates for the Mem. Day Derby? Thanks Vern
@Tides4Fishing

http://www.tides4fishing.com/mx/sonora/puerto-penasco

@WindFinder

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/bahia-la-choya

Tight lines!

ChollaBay4Life
The 61st Cholla Bay Sportsmens Club fishing derby finale/ fish fry is only a week away. The 10 day wind report has come out with initial projections for calm seas and hopefully good fishing. The homework's done, read up!

@Tides4Fishing

http://www.tides4fishing.com/mx/sonora/puerto-penasco

@WindFinder

Tight lines!

ChollaBay4Life

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Joe, My brother in law is taking his kayak down next weekend, does he need a license to fish out it? Thanks Vern

Vern, to my understanding, no fishing license is needed out of a kayak or from shore. I think the basic rule is if it has a motor get a fishing license. I have never been asked for one and the Marines have seen me on more than one occasion. Once in Cholla Bay I was anchored next to the marines eating for a minute and the guy told me to put on my life jacket but nothing about a fishing license and I have 3 or 4 rods on the kayak every time.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Good to hear we will be in town at5 the right time. The weather and wind are going to rock. Good luck all.
Berto, you going to swing by Cholla Bay? I should be tooling around Saturday and Sunday. Wind report is making me want to vomit but screw it, coming anyways.

me and my wife bought kayaks and will be down over memorial day weekend. what can i expect to catch from a kayak and where would be the best spot,we always fish from shore from the the reef and usually kill em, caught a good size porgy last weekend and a bunch of good size cabrilla.

AZRob

me and my wife bought kayaks and will be down over memorial day weekend. what can i expect to catch from a kayak and where would be the best spot,we always fish from shore from the the reef and usually kill em, caught a good size porgy last weekend and a bunch of good size cabrilla.
Your best bet would be to type kayak in the search bar at top right and read all the old posts.

AZRob

I only fished in Las Conchas and couple times on sandy beach. Best fishing was in Las Conchas for me.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Love the avatar of Beetlejuice! Lol Howard Stern original from back in the day. The best bet is to head over to Cholla Bay and launch at JJ's . The fishing is going to be around the corner to the SW near Tucson beach and Pelican Point. If the wind report holds up and stays true the point would be considered EXPERT paddler and I wouldn't recommend going out there. If the wind report stays true you wont be able to fish the point but because the wind is going to be out of the south the bay will be nice and calm so again, the bay is an excellent place to get the yaks in the water. Regardless of wind Cholla Bay is an excellent place to put the yaks in and start from. Paddle around to the south side of Cholla and the fishing can be quite good if you know what you're doing.

Anytime you want to fish/swim/snorkel/kayak think Cholla Bay...

The wind report is starting to look bleak

ChollaBay4Life

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Love the avatar of Beetlejuice! Lol Howard Stern original from back in the day. The best bet is to head over to Cholla Bay and launch at JJ's . The fishing is going to be around the corner to the SW near Tucson beach and Pelican Point. If the wind report holds up and stays true the point would be considered EXPERT paddler and I wouldn't recommend going out there. If the wind report stays true you wont be able to fish the point but because the wind is going to be out of the south the bay will be nice and calm so again, the bay is an excellent place to get the yaks in the water. Regardless of wind Cholla Bay is an excellent place to put the yaks in and start from. Paddle around to the south side of Cholla and the fishing can be quite good if you know what you're doing.

Anytime you want to fish/swim/snorkel/kayak think Cholla Bay...

The wind report is starting to look bleak

ChollaBay4Life

Who's the wind god? I need to pray to that character immediately.