Official Groundbreaking Ceremony for Home Cruise Port

El Gato

I understand that Governor Padres is attending the official groundbreaking ceremony for the Home Cruise Port today. If anyone on the forum attended would love to hear your report and see pictures. According to AccuWeather it looks like it is a beautiful day for it. Thank you.

Landshark

Wow, our jetty just took on a whole new identity. I thought it was going to be a pier. Looks to me like they intend to build a small city on it! Black mountain should be scared!

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Russ, did they give a schedule for the course of construction for the port in addition to the general plan? thanks

El Gato

They will obviously need a safe, secure location - fenced and guarded - so that people aren't afraid to leave their car for 7 days. It is so close to AZ, CA, etc., that those people would find it easier and less expensive than flying in for the most part. Also assume they will have shuttles coming down.

ADR

They can park in my Penasco garage for a low low price of $100 a day, and a free car wash, and ride to / from the port included. :)

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
From RP 360 a summary of the event yesterday!

At approximately noon on Jan. 29th, accompanied by Port and Merchant Marines Coordinator Guillermo Ruiz de Teresa, and numerous state and municipal officials, Sonora Governor Guillermo Padrés Elías paid a visit to Puerto Peñasco to review progress on breakwater construction of what will become the city’s Home Port.

Fotos: Comunicación Social Estatal

After hearing technical details about the project, which began in earnest on January 3rd of this year following the project launch in December of 2013, Governor Padrés made assurances this would boost employment and tourism both for the port and Sonora itself. Investment in the project will reach nearly 600 million pesos. “This will be a catalyst and trigger for the ongoing growth of Peñasco, as well as sustaining Sonora well above the national average in the creation of jobs,” he stated.

Guillermo Ruiz de Teresa, Port and Marine Merchant Coordinator, expressed this project is an example of how imagination can become set in stone, transforming into a Home Port that will create jobs.

“This is what imagination can create: money, jobs, development, and tourism. This is imagination set in stone. Yet, this project also requires rooms, [and] supply areas; it is not just a dock. We are going to develop a dock, but all the rest as well,” remarked Ruiz de Teresa.

The Home Port, as detailed by State Coordinator of Tourism Promotion Javier Tapia Camou, will eventually have the capacity for up to three cruise ships with a 880 meter protection dock reaching 13 meters deep, along with the departure and arrival terminal for cruise goers and their luggage.

Once the Home Port begins operations in [late] 2015, expectations are for an economic boost of $330,000 dollars at each cruise ship stopping point, and double this at departure points such as Puerto Peñasco.

**On edit, I was told that this trip was a precursor to a trip planned by the Mexican President later. The President was to be here in December but had to cancel as he traveled overseas for Madelas memorial.** ** 2nd edit - the financial dedication to the project is huge first investment 195 million pesos, and the second step 300 million pesos, this is just for 2014.**

Last edited:

Landshark

I hear you Joe, but I hope this deal really works out. The rendering looks really cool and if completed would be a great addition to SB. It would have to create lots of new jobs for the people of RP and put a lot more money in the local economy which has been struggling for years. Anything good for the locals and the town is a good thing. Hopefully the government funding will continue long enough to get this deal built because it gonna be really, really expensive.

ben21

. Hopefully the government funding will continue long enough to get this deal built because it gonna be really, really expensive.
Agreed... I couldn't help but notice all those towers in the rendering. Wouldn't you agree that any funding for that (if it exists) should go towards finishing the skeletons already on Sandy Beach?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Hola Ben, I'll chime in if that's ok.....The towers could be finished but as everyone knows there will be no one to buy them, they were built in an overheated economy and it was not sustainable.
The creation of the home port, as part of the overall plan is to raise interest in our port worldwide. This in turn will attract investors and buyers or renters to the condos.

There is no doubt that the building frenzy was over the top. This seems to be a good idea to me but I guess it could be a chicken and egg thing.

Time will tell.

dry heat

Pigeon coup coordinator
Often times these rendering are meant to show what is planned over a 10-20 year period. This particular rendering is showing the finished project. We could be talking about multiple phases over several years. I assume the 1st phase will probably be the home port, terminal and maybe 1 hotel (not sure that is even in phase 1 of the planning).

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I believe phase one is the construction of the port to an operational state. The thought is that the hoteliers will follow the lead of the Federal government who is showing a vested interest in this project.

ben21

I believe phase one is the construction of the port to an operational state. The thought is that the hoteliers will follow the lead of the Federal government who is showing a vested interest in this project.
If hotels are in the works, then a developer should look into purchasing one of the unfinished condos and convert it.

On a side note... Wasn't there word that the government had an interest in Las Palomas? Couldn't finishing phase 3 as a hotel/vacation rental be wrapped into this? Kill two birds w/ one stone?

mis2810

. Hope all this new construction does not hurt my view from my penthouse at the Acropolis
http://rockypointexposed.blogspot.com/2008/01/rockypointexposedcom.html
Also lets remember the past as we look to the future...Are the Martinez brothers playing a part in this endeavor?
OMG. That's the first time I'd ever seen that video. If I were that guy I'd be ashamed. Who is he? The building in the background is the Sandy Beach Urgent Care Center, correct? Also, the "Mykonos" tower would have been built directly behind the clubhouse of Las Palmas. That's the only view of the water that would have been possible, unless you had a condo in the Mykonos tower above the 9th floor or so, to clear the top of the Las Palmas buildings. The whole video was embarrassing - you take people up on what's basically scaffolding and ask them to put money down?