Peso/US dollar exchange rip off in RP restaurants.

Estella

Tourists being ripped off in Puerto Penasco on exchange rate is nothing new, it has always been going on. PP well established it's reputation for that and it is a shame. Have been going to PP for 22 years now, but this is the first time I read something as ridiculous as peso to dollar then back to peso rip off scheme. At the beginning I was taken advantage of when I did not know Spanish and used only Dollars. Few years later I learned Spanish and I always exchange dollars to pesos and present myself in Spanish and use pesos only and I have never had problem sense, even if the menu is in dollars and pesos.
I really wish PP will become popular place to visit again for Arizona residents but it has to start with great tourist reception and behavior that will make tourist think they are wanted there.

Tourists being ripped off in Puerto Penasco on exchange rate is nothing new, it has always been going on. PP well established it's reputation for that and it is a shame. Have been going to PP for 22 years now, but this is the first time I read something as ridiculous as peso to dollar then back to peso rip off scheme. At the beginning I was taken advantage of when I did not know Spanish and used only Dollars. Few years later I learned Spanish and I always exchange dollars to pesos and present myself in Spanish and use pesos only and I have never had problem sense, even if the menu is in dollars and pesos.
I really wish PP will become popular place to visit again for Arizona residents but it has to start with great tourist reception and behavior that will make tourist think they are wanted there.
Sadly, PP becoming the place for AZ people to visit will take awhile to happen. Many of the business owners are too short sighted
and only care about what they make today and less about the future. A serious moral change will have to occur with some of the business's.
PP has lost some of it's luster from 10-15 years ago and it has a lot of competition from other places to go.

Peso rip offs and gas station pumps ripping people off is what it's all about, making $$. It's being done to visitors and the locals that live here.

I have dealt with many honest and fair business's here, but have also seen my share of greedy dishonest places as well.
Unfortunately you will always hear more about the bad places vs the honest ones.

MIRAMAR

Order and pay in pesos. Don't make the restaurant accept the risk of arbitrage. When in Mexico, use the legal tender or be willing to pay for the convenience

We went to La Curva today and had a nice lunch, bill came to $19.96 or 253 peso's which works out to 12.7 to 1, I used Peso's since I just got 15.65 to 1 at
Banorte one hour earlier, saved $3.80 or 19% which paid for the tip. La Curva has been updating the prices on the menu a lot since they were at least 3-4 layers
deep of stickers with higher prices. They only had 1 sticker on at my New Years trip, I am sure it's like that everywhere.

Pretty quiet in town for an ASU and a few grade schools Spring Break week.

JimMcG

We went to La Curva today and had a nice lunch, bill came to $19.96 or 253 peso's which works out to 12.7 to 1, I used Peso's since I just got 15.65 to 1 at
Banorte one hour earlier, saved $3.80 or 19% which paid for the tip. La Curva has been updating the prices on the menu a lot since they were at least 3-4 layers
deep of stickers with higher prices. They only had 1 sticker on at my New Years trip, I am sure it's like that everywhere.

Pretty quiet in town for an ASU and a few grade schools Spring Break week.
Oddly enough, we ate there the day before you and were presented with an identical bill to yours, to the peso.
Even with the 3% credit card surcharge we still figure that we will be about 15/16% ahead than if we had used US dollars, given the poor exchange rate. That was the first time we had been there in years.
They did have great wifi however.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Order and pay in pesos. Don't make the restaurant accept the risk of arbitrage. When in Mexico, use the legal tender or be willing to pay for the convenience
here we go again!!!!!! when in Rome do like the romans and pay in pesos, been saying that for years and still is the top thread in this forum and the same people discussing it and complaining about how much they got ripped off!!!!!! AGAIN TRY TO PAY IN PESOS IN USA!!!!!!!! see where it takes you.......