Recommendation for Birthday Cake? (Pasteleria)

Hello, I need to get a nice birthday cake for my wife this weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to get a cake? Thanks!

Marty

Roberto

Candy Cake about 1 block off Benito Juarez at the old bus station, It south of the baseball stdium and th Mother's park, you can see it from BJ. They also have a location on the Malecon next to Mary's and the little shrimp park. All the groceries offer cakes as well, Santa Fe, Super Ley, Bodega andjprolly several local panadarias that I do not know about. You have a lot of choices. Pastels are an important part of any Mexican celebration.

mondone

Whitecaps
Never purchased any birthday cakes in RP yet, but I was in Sam's Club last week and they sure had some beautiful looking celebration cakes in there. No idea how they taste however.

Gotta love the Tres Leches.
Super Ley is the only place I have bought one. But you prob cant go wrong most any place

Thanks to all for the advice! I stopped at Irma's and got the 3 leches since it was closest to my stopoff at Lucas for some chicken! The price seemed a tad high (150 pesos) to my wife's family, but they are from Navojoa in southern Sonora and used to cheaper prices for everything. But it was really good and everybody enjoyed it! I will try Candy Cake next time so we can compare. Thanks again to all for the feedback!

GV Jack

Snorin God
Just for my info, what is the exchange right now? Also, I'm gonna try some of that during my November trip to paradise.

Its around 13 pesos to a dollar right now, but most places will receive your dollars at between 12-12.50. So 150 pesos is probably like 12-13 dollars. I didn't seem high at all to me, but that's a gringo perspective. My wife is Mexican and they are used to non-tourist, non-border prices. So they were probably expecting 100-120 pesos or something like that.

So Rocky Point can seem high compared to that, but to a gringo I'm thrilled at the prices even if they are slightly inflated. I think there were similar complaints in the thread about cheap beer. In other parts of Mexico it would be unthinkable to charge more than 20-25 pesos a beer, but in Rocky Point 35-40 pesos can be standard issue.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Its around 13 pesos to a dollar right now, but most places will receive your dollars at between 12-12.50. So 150 pesos is probably like 12-13 dollars. I didn't seem high at all to me, but that's a gringo perspective. My wife is Mexican and they are used to non-tourist, non-border prices. So they were probably expecting 100-120 pesos or something like that.

So Rocky Point can seem high compared to that, but to a gringo I'm thrilled at the prices even if they are slightly inflated. I think there were similar complaints in the thread about cheap beer. In other parts of Mexico it would be unthinkable to charge more than 20-25 pesos a beer, but in Rocky Point 35-40 pesos can be standard issue.
I think I paid 25 pesos at Sr Amigos last time...Tecate Light

Roberto

I think I paid 25 pesos at Sr Amigos last time...Tecate Light
Well they obviously recognized you from the criminal warning posters distrubuted by Penasco's finest. They did not want any problems so they gave you the good buddy discount.