Roosterfish

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I read Stuart's report from Lobos (and checked out the awesome pics/vid on Ted's website) and I was wondering how far up the coast north from Lobos anyone has ever caught large Roosters?

Roosterfish are interesting because they are a shallow, surf feeding species, but they are primarily only found in areas where that particular beach has nearby access to cooler, deeper water. I wonder if that is why big ones are never caught near RP...?

Ayone ever caught them near Desemboque?

we hooked and released this little guy while making bait out in front of the malecon... and I have seen another while swimming at the mouth of the port, they are up here but they are not of any great size... they are very cool to see underwater I wish I could have gotten a video of it...

Rooster Fish.jpg

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Yeah I've caught a couple that size in La Marua as well...

what I want to know is how far down the coast does one have to go to catch REAL roosterfish...?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
moore you have caught some of these at Marua estuary, using lures, not live bait.
Correct, 3/4 ounce silver kastmaster that I was throwing at a mixed school of shortfin corvina and leatherjacks (and baby roosterfish)

we hooked and released this little guy while making bait out in front of the malecon... and I have seen another while swimming at the mouth of the port, they are up here but they are not of any great size... they are very cool to see underwater I wish I could have gotten a video of it...

View attachment 1357
Well now that I'm here, I might as well ask. Does it make good eating?

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Moore, they are here, I just do not think this type of fish is targeted in Puerto Penasco.

If there were adult Pez Gallo in Penasco then they would be getting caught- I would think shorefishing guru's like Kenny and Don would have a history of catching them.

Now, with the reduction in totoaba and other apex shoreline predators, perhaps a niche will open up that could bring the roosters up from the south, but I still think they are most likely to be found along beaches that are in close proximity to deeper water-

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Pez Gallo is not hightly regarded table fare (the strong, gamey flavor has been compared to Horse eye jack or Jack Cravalle from the gulf of Mexico)

Plus, Roosters are sort of revered for their beauty by Mexican Fishermen, kind of like Golden Grouper (Reina)

no, but some do, (~) would you eat a gold fish?

Kidding aside it is all muscle, dark meat, not for the plate.

These are precious "fighting" fish, catch and release.
It's certainly beautiful. That's why I asked, because it doesn't even look edible.

Kenny

There is no doubt that many species of fish have been moving north, and for some time now. I've even read a post on another forum of Snook being caught in the Sea of Cortes, with a picture. And fish that are normally only caught here, are now being caught on the Pacific side.

Last edited:

Kenny

They are not targeted by locals.
No, but we've all seen them swoop into the estuaries, and round up anything and everything in there nets though. It's a mystery, that's for sure. Where are the adults, if there is starting to be a number of Juveniles in the estuary's?

Hi Rosie... I have eaten one at one of the fish fries with the local guys at la bajada (municipal boat ramp) and it was delicious... kind of reminded me of eating deep fried bluegill (which I love)... I especially liked the crispy fried fins and tail... yes they are yummy...

Pez Gallo is not hightly regarded table fare (the strong, gamey flavor has been compared to Horse eye jack or Jack Cravalle from the gulf of Mexico)

Plus, Roosters are sort of revered for their beauty by Mexican Fishermen, kind of like Golden Grouper (Reina)
Well I guess we all have different tastes... and I never turn down a fresh cooked fish when it is offered to me by one of my local amigos...

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
It comes down to a matter of personal conviction and taste as far as what fish to eat. A lot of people have told me marlin is good to eat, but I've always released them and wouldn't think of eating one. Same goes for roosterfish. Other people hold bonefish in high esteem as a sportfish, but I use them for bait. Even though it's illegal, turtles are prized by the Mexicans as eating fare. I could never bring myself to eat turtle soup if it was offered, even though I understand it is supposed to be very delicious and has been part of Mexican culture forever. This past weekend, we released oodles of huge triggerfish, even though they are good eating. With two grouper, sierra, and a dorado already on ice, why even think of eating triggerfish? If the fishbox was empty, the triggers would have made good tacos, but I was just as happy to see them swim back to the bottom of the sea.

playaperro

El Pirata
Machaca

Well I guess we all have different tastes... and I never turn down a fresh cooked fish when it is offered to me by one of my local amigos...
Hate to tell you amigo you must of been starving, yes the locals do catch them but only
ground them up and make "Machaca". These guys must of been from another region and
know how to cook up the dark meat fish.:ham:

Hate to tell you amigo you must of been starving, yes the locals do catch them but only
ground them up and make "Machaca". These guys must of been from another region and
know how to cook up the dark meat fish.:ham:
They fried it up in a disco... and I'll try anything once as long as I know what it is... I won't eat sea turtle...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I do not know how they breed, but adults must come to Rocky Point to spawn and leave their fry.

They might make short spurts up the Sea of Cortez (RP) and to the estuaries and then back down to deeper and cooler waters. But they must arrive, May and June is my guess. I still do not see shore fishers daily, which would give one a true picture of what comes to Rocky Point to Breed. They are not targeted by locals.
Regarding spawning, Roosterfish, being Jacks, are pelagic spawners, and not substrate spawners. This means that their eggs float freely in the water column after spawning, and then they hatch into planktonic larvae which continue drifting on the open water for weeks after hatching.

I'll agree that it's possible that adults might migrate toward Penasco to spawn, but again, I would think that if this was happening then more adults would be caught in the northern parts of the Sea when they are in the area (especially by guys like Scott and Doug who are out there fishing 250 days out of the year :razz:) .

I've fished shore from La Choya out to La Pinta during every season of the year over the past 20 years, and in that time I've only ever caught 2 of these micro 10 inch guys (both in one 20 minute timeframe in one spot)

I think it is more likely that the eggs (or the larvae) ride the tide/wind currents north and drift into Penasco waters. This would make Penasco a nursery area for the young, who then migrate back south as they grow.

Perhaps the small ones we've seen in Penasco could grow larger and remain local, but maybe Kenny's cast-netting locals are reducing the population of small ones to the point that they never get to grow up. Or, maybe the young hang around Penasco for a month or so after hatching, and then boogy back south for deeper waters.

Perhaps I have a thesis subject for a Master's degree in Marine Biology, although the thought of going back to college in my 40's makes me {shudder}, and frankly it's not worth it to me to lay out 50-60 grand to answer this question... :razz:

Kenny

This means that their eggs float freely in the water column after spawning, and then they hatch into planktonic larvae which continue drifting on the open water
That's exactly what I was thinking, but I hadn't had time to look it up yet, thanks. That was the only logical explanation for the fact that no one has caught a mature fish...that we know of.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Thanks, Robert your insights add immensely to this discussion on "Roosters in Rocky Point"
Thanks. I just read a lot about fish. I also have a 200 gallon saltwater aquarium at home.

You'd think some of this knowledge would make me a better fisherman, but alas, there's no substitute for practice.