Safe in Puerto Penasco?

Is it safe in Puerto Penasco?

• Total voters

mis2810

Night drivers with high power high beams on all the time blinding you.
OMG this is so true - I actually had to come to come to a complete stop and wait on the road just passed Las Palomas last week because I was absolutely blinded by someone with their brights on in the other lane. I kept flashing mine at them but it didn't work!

RockyPointBeachBum

User is currently banned
We've been coming to Rocky Point for many years. Go down about once a month. We even have had 4 family reunion gatherings there over the last 15 years or so. Entire family ( aunts uncles, kids, parents, grand parents ). I have never had any problems visiting Penasco. I would never invite my entire family there if it was even remotely unsafe.

A lot of people don't know this but there is even a tourist assist vehicle that drives back & fourth everyday ( multiple trips ) between Sonoita & Puerto Penasco that does nothing but assist tourists if they have a flat tire, engine problems, etc.

What makes Penasco's location so perfect is the close proximity to the USA & its a fairly small town & you don't have to drive thru or even near any large Mexican cities.

Miakko

We live in PP with our two young children full time. The locals are extremely friendly and helpful and we have not had any problems at all and travel all over town. It's a great spot to go with your family and kids. Our kids attend a private school in town and we feel that it's more secure then Phoenix schools. Our boys love swimming in the ocean during the summer and at this time of the year they like to dig and collect stuff on the beach. Lots of rocks to climb on both near the malecon, Mirador and Mi Playa. There are a variety of places to eat from sit down restaurants on the Malecon to taco stands, hot dog stands and chicken. Depending on how long you are planning to stay a trip to El Pinacate (about halfway between Sonoyta and PP) is a great way to spend a day whether you just drive around or go hiking around the crater. What I wouldn't recommend you do is travel down in the dark for your first trip and do get directions ahead of time to wherever you decide to stay; there is road construction as you come into town and the signs for the detour leave a little something to be desired. As others have mentioned; don't flash cash (but you don't need to worry that someone is going to rip a purse off your shoulder); no excessively flashy jewelry; and BE NICE to others you meet. It's a great town to visit and most that try it out once quickly discover that there is a lot of unjustified media hype about it in the US. You can msg me if you have any specific questions.

jerry

From the ever excellent Defrente:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Periodico-De-Frente/109703845771031
* Performs City Council considered in the carretera Peñasco-Caborca * * municipal government uses own resources to safeguard the safety of motorists despite a State rua * * PUERTO PEÑASCO, 7 February 2014. * in an effort by safeguarding the safety of the families penasquenses that use the Caborca-rocky road, a gang of at least 15 workers of the Town Hall began with the work of considered State Rua.
Despite representing the Local State Board of paths of the Government of the responsibility for the maintenance of this important means of communication, the Government headed by Professor Gerardo Figueroa Zazueta decided to do the job to the terrible conditions of the same.
The Coordinator of Zofemat, Benjamin Ortega white, informed because of the danger that represents travel on such road, Thursday began with the work of I considered from the 40 kilometer and it will cover up to the entrance of the city since there are sections really bad.
"Concerned about the safety of the families who use this road, our Mayor turned instructions so we abocáramos to do the work of considered because today rua conditions represent a latent danger for motorists", said.
He pointed out that so far have been used 20 cubic meters of asphalt which has allowed to cover a significant amount of potholes, but there are still other road sections which have to recarpetearse because current conditions jeopardize the families who use this rua.
White-Ortega said that this asphalt is that acquired the town hall for the program of I considered of the streets of the city, however, a part is what is being used in the State road to the impassable of this means of communication.
Tasks of considered the Caborca-rocky road are scheduled be completed in the middle of next week.

jerry

So it's the condition of the road they're fixing, not the security.
Yes but good news ...good job by the mayor.......the Coastal Highway construction is headed North so it looks like the repairs have stopped on the existing road bed that will be replaced by the new road....progress is really slow

jerry

Good job El Prof. They are also actively filling in potholes around town.
Just heard from a friend heading South it is really bad.....night driving and potholes......have to do it myself next week and not looking forward to it

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Motlj, I have been coming to PP since 1966. I, too, am a single woman who drives alone to PP most of the time. I bring my 86 year old mother with me sometimes and sometimes friends and their children and grandchildren. I would never do this if I felt it was unsafe.......Don't listen to the doom and gloomers; most of them have never been here.

dwig222

We have vacationed in Rocky Point since the early 70's. Took our five children down numerous times every year. Then took one or some of our 13 grandchildren down numerous times every single year. We have never had anyone get in trouble with the police or the people of RP. I take the car and go off by myself to shop. I've stayed down there by myself in our RV for weeks at a time and have never been afraid. In all those years I got sick one time, but I don't even know if it was something I ate or drank or if I just had the flu. I bring no food. I bring no water. I buy everything down there and bring back tons of the most delicious shrimp you will ever taste. I bring back tortillas that are made on a front porch of someone's house, cookies from the bakery and tequila you can't buy in the states.

I do understand how the OP feels because when we went further south into Mexico it was unfamiliar and I was a little scared. But, Rocky Point is safe. Read the Rocky Point Times or this board to make sure you know what you can bring and can't bring. Your kids will love this ten times better than San Diego!

We are headed down on Monday morning and it can't get here fast enough for me!

I'm sorry if this offends anyone that lives here. It is not my intention at all. I'm just trying to find out as much information as I can before I decide whether or not to bring my family here for a safe vacation.

I've heard some stories and read some articles about violence and drug cartels in and around Puerto Penasco. While I understand crime is not exclusive to Mexico (we have plenty where I live), some of the stories I hear are horrid. I, also, hear that Americans are targeted frequently. I know that most people say "Don't flash a bunch of cash, don't act arrogant, be respectful of the culture and you should be fine." However, I, like many of you, have a family to protect. I know that there are some truly terrible people in this world that do not care what you're doing. They want to hurt you. I realize there is a risk of encountering people like this no matter where in the world you are. I'm trying to gauge that risk in Puerto Penasco so I know if I should bring my family to this beautiful city.

I am hoping to find some real truth, from people who live in Puerto Penasco. How safe is it? Is it a place you recommend a young family travel? Your honesty is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
The only warning I will give you is, don't go down when the spring breakers are there. It sometimes gets a little crazy ??

The only warning I will give you is, don't go down when the spring breakers are there. It sometimes gets a little crazy ??
Agree. In almost 20 years of frequent (at least monthly) visits, the only mishap I had was an ASU kid on an ATV who fender-bended my car in a parking lot.