Tacos el Pablano - best al pastor anywhere

jben

When I first started coming down to RP, we found this little taco shop just north of the baseball stadium that makes the best al pastor I've ever had. We found the place by driving down Benito Juarez and just being mesmerized by the flames coming off the gyro-style spit they use to cook the al pastor.

For those of you unfamiliar with al pastor, its basically a pork schwarma. thin-sliced pork is marinated in red chile and pineapple juice and the slices are stacked on a vertical spit like a gyro. When you order, they crank up the gas flame, crisping up the outside as they shave it off. It's basically a spicy, sweet, bacon taco.

So when we came down last May, my number 1 priority was tacos al pastor. But as we drove into town, we saw the building had been knocked down and they were building something new. I was heart broken. I've spent the last 6 months trying every taco al pastor in Phoenix, trying to find a suitable replacement; and while I've had some damn good tacos, none of the them were the same.

So we come back down in October and I'm driving down Reelection towards Benito Juarez and what do I see? The SPIT!! Flaming up just like I remember it. Turns out they built a new place just across the street, much bigger and nicer. The old spot is now an Oxxo. I was so happy I almost cried (I know it's pathetic, but I can't help it).

We were down for three nights and I ate there three times (tacos al pastor make an excellent "dessert"). They have a deal with three tacos and a soda for 55 pesos (about $4.40). They also do carne asada and you can get the al pastor as a torta.

They're open until midnight and the place is usually packed with locals .. even late. Tacos el Pablano is reason enough to head down to PP all by itself.

Ate there for the 1st time on last Thursday, pretty tasty and you get a lot for the price, Now we have a problem, Taco's Brisa or Taco's Poblano?
That is a great problem to have.

GV Jack

Snorin God
FYI...Safeway now has a series of Mexican meats in package form, pre-marinated. One of these is Al Pastor so I decided to try it.

I put all my stuff together. Onions, pineapple for grilling with the meat, cilantro, tacos and limes for the taco and a green salsa for the grand finale.
They also had a special for Tres Leche Parfaits which I had set aside for dessert. Now, I mean what could possibly go wrong?

Well, I heated up the grill and opened the meat package. The aroma was great, just what I expected. Then as I tried to pull the pork out of the wrapper
it came out in multiple pieces, some large some small, some medium. I tried to grill them and it was a disaster. The large pieces didn't cook thru and the
small one charred and the few medium ones were okay. We took off everything but the large and let it cook. There really wasn't enough meat to make many
tacos, so we just chopped up the pineapple, onions cilantro, etc and ate as a main dish with the tacos for mopping. The flavor was great, but I'd rather have a
solid piece to grill and slice.

The moral of the story...Go to Tacos el Pablano and get the real stuff.

playaperro

El Pirata
There is a joke that the citizens here require a special nutritional supplement in order to thrive, and that would be Vitamin T, contained in tamales, tortas, tostadas, tlayudas, tortillas, tequila and — first among equals — their tacos

I wholeheartedly agree with the Vitamin T theory. Whenever I am there, I get plenty of it to tide me over till the next visit. I'm getting low :(
Oh how I cant wait for November ;)

gup

When I first started coming down to RP, we found this little taco shop just north of the baseball stadium that makes the best al pastor I've ever had. We found the place by driving down Benito Juarez and just being mesmerized by the flames coming off the gyro-style spit they use to cook the al pastor.

For those of you unfamiliar with al pastor, its basically a pork schwarma. thin-sliced pork is marinated in red chile and pineapple juice and the slices are stacked on a vertical spit like a gyro. When you order, they crank up the gas flame, crisping up the outside as they shave it off. It's basically a spicy, sweet, bacon taco.

So when we came down last May, my number 1 priority was tacos al pastor. But as we drove into town, we saw the building had been knocked down and they were building something new. I was heart broken. I've spent the last 6 months trying every taco al pastor in Phoenix, trying to find a suitable replacement; and while I've had some damn good tacos, none of the them were the same.

So we come back down in October and I'm driving down Reelection towards Benito Juarez and what do I see? The SPIT!! Flaming up just like I remember it. Turns out they built a new place just across the street, much bigger and nicer. The old spot is now an Oxxo. I was so happy I almost cried (I know it's pathetic, but I can't help it).

We were down for three nights and I ate there three times (tacos al pastor make an excellent "dessert"). They have a deal with three tacos and a soda for 55 pesos (about $4.40). They also do carne asada and you can get the al pastor as a torta.

They're open until midnight and the place is usually packed with locals .. even late. Tacos el Pablano is reason enough to head down to PP all by itself.

gup

Additional info; Opens at three, closed on Wed. Of course we attempted to go on this day. Maybe next time

Seems there are a few Taco's Poblano's in town, I ate at the one on Blvd. Costero just west of Benito Juarez
(street coming from the resorts that goes to BJ, Rosey's is on that street.
Ate there 2 times last trip down, it was great, went there on Saturday at 11:30 AM and it was closed. :(

MIRAMAR

SE corner Sinaloa and Morua opens at 4:00. I think this one tastes better and seems to have a more Mexican atmosphere. It opens at 4:00 pm

gup

SE corner Sinaloa and Morua opens at 4:00. I think this one tastes better and seems to have a more Mexican atmosphere. It opens at 4:00 pm
Southeast in town, better than way N. by baseball park----but more precise land mark location would be nice .(looks like N. of Lucas chicken, and what is the days it is closed?