Tales of the grave, Pto Penasco

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Funny how this case pops up every now and then. As far as I know, Yesenia Patino is still in Mexican prison. If not, she may be the dreaded "Black Widow" (kidding). Dan Willoughby is still in Florence, but is probably innocent. After Dan's conviction, Yesenia later testified on video that she killed Trish Willoughby all by herself, but again recanted and went with her original testimony at Dan's retrial. The whole thing is still a big sordid mess - jaded lovers, transvestites, murder.

I believe I actually met Yesenia years ago in San Carlos. She used to work at a popular tourist restaurant bar there called "Bananas" before coming north to Penasco.

A couple of interesting links:

Turning Tale - Page 1 - News - Phoenix - Phoenix New Times

Innocent In Prison Project International (IIPPI)

And the "lovers" in happier times at the beach.

Attachments

This was the sad and shocking story buzzing around RP and in the AZ papers at the time. Because killings in RP were so rare, a gringo was a first for the area. The Phx area news was just buzzing about this. I guess sex, murder and stories about transsexuals are what the news media loves. Well 20 years later it's now, is RP safe? and news about drug cartels. Oh and sex, murder and Jodie Arias. Guess news reporting hasn't changed much at all.

Page 13, nothing juicy about a simple hanging, would have gotten to page 1 with a little sex angle to the story. :happens:

playaperro

El Pirata
Funny how this case pops up every now and then. As far as I know, Yesenia Patino is still in Mexican prison. If not, she may be the dreaded "Black Widow" (kidding). Dan Willoughby is still in Florence, but is probably innocent. After Dan's conviction, Yesenia later testified on video that she killed Trish Willoughby all by herself, but again recanted and went with her original testimony at Dan's retrial. The whole thing is still a big sordid mess - jaded lovers, transvestites, murder.

I believe I actually met Yesenia years ago in San Carlos. She used to work at a popular tourist restaurant bar there called "Bananas" before coming north to Penasco.

Man did I dodge a bullet there, bought her a couple mai tai's at the vina del mar when she was hanging at the pool bar. Thank God I was not acting like a drunken sailor (lol).

rplarry

I have seen this story as well on "Forensic Files" on TV and on the web. Tried searching for a video link somewhere, but I guess it is too old now and has been pulled.

It was strange watching it because it showed different roads and homes in Las Conchas where the murder occurred. I believe it was in the Cedo/Las Olas area of Las Conchas.

Puerto Penasco Blog: 'Forensic Files' to dramatize Gilbert woman's slaying

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Man did I dodge a bullet there, bought her a couple mai tai's at the vina del mar when she was hanging at the pool bar. Thank God I was not acting like a drunken sailor (lol).
And that, my friend, is exactly why I remain true to my dear, sweet, great fisherwoman wife! I mean, I know a couple of guys that have strayed, played, and then paid (usually a pretty high price). I'm not willing to do that. You don't always know who knows who. Word gets around.

It's one thing to go to Guau-Guau or a club, have a few drinks and laughs with the guys, drop a few dollar bills and LOOK, but not TOUCH. Whole different thing when it moves to dates, lovers and between the sheets. I wouldn't do it anymore in Rocky Point than I'd do it right here in Tempe. I think this has to do with A) the location of the male brain at times and B) leaving the real brain on the American side of the border (as in "What happens in Mexico stays in Mexico --NOT!)

El Gato

At the time it happened my Dad said that the husband was suspected immediately by the Penasco police. Quite a few years before then a Claremont college student was killed - his body washed up. The papers jumped all over it - blaming Penasco/Mexico. The police were well aware of what had actually happened but couldn't do anything about it as the 'kids' involved had already crossed the border by the time the body was discovered. They had been having a party on the beach, very drunk, a fight ensued and the one kid was killed during the fight. They all panicked, threw the body in the sea and took off immediately for the border. A retraction was never published.

My DH wrote a highly fictionalized version of the Willoughby case, "Murder in Pueblo Del Mar, a Bailey Crane Mystery", loosely based on the original murder.

WOW!
I don't remember anything about this. What a bizarre story. I wonder what ever became of the kids.

Hello! The kids are doing amazing. The son served in the Army and is now out. Living life to the fullest. The 2 girls have gotten married and loving life with their husbands and raising their families. Dan is still in prison, still dragging us kids thru trials- 3 total now. It would be so nice if he just quit trying to get out and not keep dragging us thru this crap over and over again. Yes, I said us kids. I am the oldest daughter. "It" is still in prison in Mexico. To the above comments, that Dan is innocent. Trust me, he is not innocent of anything in this case. Dan was a suspect even before the rest of the family was contacted the next day. It was awful to go thru it.

There was also a comment about the Forensic Files episode.
here is the link. There is also a few more shows about it too. Snapped did 2 episodes and ID network Scorned did one also. Both my sister and I were interviewed on that show. There were also 2 books written too.

jerry

Hello! The kids are doing amazing. The son served in the Army and is now out. Living life to the fullest. The 2 girls have gotten married and loving life with their husbands and raising their families. Dan is still in prison, still dragging us kids thru trials- 3 total now. It would be so nice if he just quit trying to get out and not keep dragging us thru this crap over and over again. Yes, I said us kids. I am the oldest daughter. "It" is still in prison in Mexico. To the above comments, that Dan is innocent. Trust me, he is not innocent of anything in this case. Dan was a suspect even before the rest of the family was contacted the next day. It was awful to go thru it.

There was also a comment about the Forensic Files episode.
here is the link. There is also a few more shows about it too. Snapped did 2 episodes and ID network Scorned did one also. Both my sister and I were interviewed on that show. There were also 2 books written too.
Marsha, you deserve the best...I admire your style