Telmex help

I looked at all the options, Telcel 3G card, Satpuertopenasco, and Telmex. Sounds like Telmex DSL is the best option for us.

Can someone tell me where do I go to get DSL connected to my house in Las Conchas. What do i need...electric bill, address?

Roberto

I looked at all the options, Telcel 3G card, Satpuertopenasco, and Telmex. Sounds like Telmex DSL is the best option for us.

Can someone tell me where do I go to get DSL connected to my house in Las Conchas. What do i need...electric bill, address?
You have to have a local phone and can get the service and equipment at the Telmex office in El Centro.

El Centro is little out of the way...wheres the Telmex office in Rocky Point?

I currently dont have a phone...do i go to the same place to start that? What are the start up costs?

As Roberto mentioned you will have to have pay for a phone line and then pay for the DSL in addition. I have it on sandy beach and it costs $60 a month for both. You will go to the same place for both. They will need to have someone come out to your house to set up the phone line and you can have them do the modem at the same time. However, installing the modem is pretty easy.

As Roberto mentioned you will have to have pay for a phone line and then pay for the DSL in addition. I have it on sandy beach and it costs $60 a month for both. You will go to the same place for both. They will need to have someone come out to your house to set up the phone line and you can have them do the modem at the same time. However, installing the modem is pretty easy.
Ran by the main Telmex office the last time down...they were advertising a phone line and DSL for 372 pesos per month....which is under $30 per month.

Roberto

El Centro is little out of the way...wheres the Telmex office in Rocky Point?

I currently dont have a phone...do i go to the same place to start that? What are the start up costs?

Ah, ahem, sorry, El Centro is downton Puerto Penasco !! Look for the tall microwave tower, on the left side as you come into town on Benito Juarez (that's the main street) about 2 blocks off the main drag. That's the Telmex/Telcel office and you can do all your business right there. They have, or I should say have had, all the equipment on hand for immediate delivery. I do think they ask for a utility bill, won't hurt to have one along. Don't recall that there was an upfront cost. I seem to recall the modem is supplied with the contract. My monthly phone bill is $574 MP, but I think Ana set up a plan where you can phone all over Mexico at no additional cost. I think there is a cheaper plan.

When you get the DSL, you can get a Majic Jack with a phone number in your home community and you'll be in like Flynn. Unlimited calls anywhere in the US and the folk at home call a local number. Works great for me. I had Vonage, but their monthly charge is the same a Magic Jack's annual, I think they had a deal $50 for 5 years too. All you trailer trash can do the same thing if you stay where there is WIFI, I think.

Ah, ahem, sorry, El Centro is downton Puerto Penasco !! Look for the tall microwave tower, on the left side as you come into town on Benito Juarez (that's the main street) about 2 blocks off the main drag. That's the Telmex/Telcel office and you can do all your business right there. They have, or I should say have had, all the equipment on hand for immediate delivery. I do think they ask for a utility bill, won't hurt to have one along. Don't recall that there was an upfront cost. I seem to recall the modem is supplied with the contract. My monthly phone bill is $574 MP, but I think Ana set up a plan where you can phone all over Mexico at no additional cost. I think there is a cheaper plan.

When you get the DSL, you can get a Majic Jack with a phone number in your home community and you'll be in like Flynn. Unlimited calls anywhere in the US and the folk at home call a local number. Works great for me. I had Vonage, but their monthly charge is the same a Magic Jack's annual, I think they had a deal $50 for 5 years too. All you trailer trash can do the same thing if you stay where there is WIFI, I think.
Oh I know which building your talking about...thanks!

I had planned on getting Magic Jack...most of neighbors have it and love it.

Roberto....does anyone in the Telmex office speak english? My spanish sucks....

My neighbor already has a phone line, and she would let me put in the dsl and a router so that I could get a wifi signal.....do you know what the requirements are to get the dsl....phone number? phone bill? Any deposits required if you already have the phone line?

Roberto

Roberto....does anyone in the Telmex office speak english? My spanish sucks....

My neighbor already has a phone line, and she would let me put in the dsl and a router so that I could get a wifi signal.....do you know what the requirements are to get the dsl....phone number? phone bill? Any deposits required if you already have the phone line?
There is usually someone there that will help you struggle through ! I'd take the phone bill along and I don't recall paying any deposits, but that was 3 years ago :-o

I think I'm going to check it out next time down. I have my neighbor's bill and hopefully there isn't any additional wiring that needs to be done since she already has the phone line in.

gail

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the chance would be of Telmex allowing us to hook up a DSL modem for one month. We have a land line with them already for our Cholla Pinto Pt house -- that's I think about $15/mo. We're really only down for the months of Oct and May and very occassionally at other times during the year so I'm reluctant to add a larger monthly charge but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to be without the internet for a month at a time (Gad, I can't even cook anymore without running to the internet for a recipe). Does anyone know if they allow turning it on and off. I know we have a Verizon modem/wi-fi that we use periodically for the RV and they allow us to use it one month and not the next. They only bill for the month that its used. I imagine even asking the telmex people this question when we speak so little Spanish is going to be pretty difficult.
-Gail
PS RockyPTJoe, Did you ever get the DSL for your neighbor's phone and attach a router? How did that work out? How far did the signal travel? Maybe I could find someone near us that would be willing to have their DSL paid for for a month and let us use their signal. Hmmmmm....

I don't have any information on what you're asking about, but your comment about the recipes' cracked me up. I have a gazillion recipe books', file folders', etc. full of every recipe imaginable, but I'm alway's going to the computer to look up a "new one"..........so I know how you feel about your "recipe book", LOL!!!

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the chance would be of Telmex allowing us to hook up a DSL modem for one month. We have a land line with them already for our Cholla Pinto Pt house -- that's I think about $15/mo. We're really only down for the months of Oct and May and very occassionally at other times during the year so I'm reluctant to add a larger monthly charge but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to be without the internet for a month at a time (Gad, I can't even cook anymore without running to the internet for a recipe). Does anyone know if they allow turning it on and off. I know we have a Verizon modem/wi-fi that we use periodically for the RV and they allow us to use it one month and not the next. They only bill for the month that its used. I imagine even asking the telmex people this question when we speak so little Spanish is going to be pretty difficult.
-Gail
PS RockyPTJoe, Did you ever get the DSL for your neighbor's phone and attach a router? How did that work out? How far did the signal travel? Maybe I could find someone near us that would be willing to have their DSL paid for for a month and let us use their signal. Hmmmmm....
Gail....no I didn't...I'm still tapping into my neighbors wifi.....as long as he has it active, I think I'll keep doing that. It's cheaper than paying the full amount. His rv is about 200 ft. away, and I get a strong signal. The newer N type routers have even a better range. Why don't you scan for signals in your area....maybe someone already has one, and you can also share (split the costs)????

BTW, when I went down to the Telmex office, the person at the front desk spoke english very well. My spanish is also very limited!

gail

Thanks, Well, sounds like I'll make a run at the Telmex office when we get down this week and see what happens. The problem I see with catching a wi-fi signal is identifying the person/house that the signal is be coming from in order to approach them. I'll post the outcome.

MIRAMAR

My father went to the Tel Cel by where the old Jim Bur was- Gloria's Pharmacy just north of Fremont on Benito Juarez. He gets the card that plugs into the USB port on his laptop, and gets internet for about $30 dollars a month. He just bought 2 months worth and I think he said he paid $600 pesos. He said the service is good, but gets a little slower after 6:00 pm when everyone gets off work. Hope that helps.

Gail....an alternate would be to go neighbor to neighbor (that is, if you know any of them them), and since you already have the phone line, ask them if they want to share and split the cost...and you put in the internet and control the WPA/WEP security. I believe that the modems that TelMex is using already have a wifi router. The last time I checked, it was something like 380 pesos per month for the phone line and internet (1 mbps).