Totoaba poaching issue

jerry

Their must be a lot money doing that kind of shit I would never thought.
As I understand it ( just barely) you get about 1 to 2 kilos of bladders per 6 good sided fish.The three middlemen working the area have now all been arrested.Two of them were cartel guys and the third worked for a Korean in ElGolfo ( who knew they existed) At the start of the bladder boom people were getting 1500 a kilo in Desemboque.....nice money...

Gone are the days..........

June 1962 on the "road" heading South to San Felipe B.C. Mexico, one knows "civilization" is near. Monster flocks of Turkey Vultures, Black Vultures and Caracaras circle in the sky ahead. An invisible wall of 115 degree gagging stink thick enough to cut with a knife envelops the atmosphere. Don't even think about opening your mouth unless you want a free caca mosca cocktail. Mountains of huge tan colored fish carcases dot the sides of the road, covered with big black birds. Every stick, post, pole or tree has a black buzzard perched with wings spread wide. The scene: a carnal, cruel and hideous waste of thousands upon thousands of Giant White Sea Bass AKA the Totuava. Not a single carcass showing a sign of any meat being removed, the only damage a single knife cut in the belly of every fish. Why? A Mexican El Dorado, they had all posessed a swim bladder that some thousands of ignorant Asians that to this day believe is the elixer of life and are willing to pay dearly for. Here and there scattered among the rotting heaps are little grey dolphins with black noses and lots of juvenile sea lions. At least in those days those people couldn't be accused of shitting where they live.

JJ

For sure........

I had always been told that they grind the dried bladders into a powder and dip their limp chorisos in it.

JJ