What else is in Cholla Bay besides JJ's?

badfish

We have never stayed in Cholla Bay before and have booked a housed there in January for the RCPM show. We always go to JJ's when we go to RP but havent been any where else in CB. What else is there? Restaraunts, bars, grocery?

JJ's is the local watering hole, it has food ranging from ok to good, only serves Tecate products, Tecate, Sol, Dos XX, Indio and Coors lite beer.
Choya Market run by Ramon and Dawn Marie have a nice selection of stuff, again Tacate products.
The Ron Rico market is OK they have Corona products, from my exprience they are somewhat expensive.
Oxchiles resturant (in middle of Cholla) is decent to good for braakfast and lunch,(don't know about dinner) ,they are usually closed Tues/Wed.

Changos is a short drive, 5 miles, by the condos.
Wrecked on the Reef is also close by about 3 miles towards the Condos.
Great views and some great people are in Cholla and a few Crabby people.
It is a nice secluded area with great views of the stars.

mermaid

Xochitla's is usually open on the weekends in the fall through spring for dinner. They have good pizza and wings. A great way to start before the Roger concert.

Bob Oso

The thing with Cholla is that the people there are ( mostly ) owners so you're not going to see the hussle and bussle of trying to get everything into a weekend. It started as and for the most part is a fishing community, and most of the people know one another. I always try and make down to JJ's late afternoon to see what the fisherman have brought in.

Brokenwave pretty much sumed up the esentials, other than that relaxing is the thing to do. If you decide to wonder out in the bay to clam hunt...clam away, just don't eat them.

Roberto

Why can't you eat them?
All the homes in the area are on septic tanks and the drainage is not real geat. I iknow people who eat them but as Senor Bear says, 'I would not eat them". Rather go to La Pinta for clams, or buy them in the old port, or go to Capones and get the big bucket and eat them there !!!!

mrnoyb

Are there any plans to improve the roads or is the condition intentional to keep out everyone except the locals? The washboard effect is extreme.

Roberto

Are there any plans to improve the roads or is the condition intentional to keep out everyone except the locals? The washboard effect is extreme.
I think they like it that way. Keeps the speeding and dust down.:mexico:
:mexico::mexico:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Let some air out of your tires and if you have 4 wheel drive, use it. It stops the fishtailing.

The Cholla HOA does pay to keep the road watered down and scraped to minimize the washboard effect.
So far this week I have seen them watering the road 3 days in a row and have scraped it at least once.
The road It can be ok to aweful depending on the traffic and the scaping frequency.
The trick is to go 40+mph to stay on top of the ruts. Or drive 5-10mph to make you look like a turista. LOL

badfish

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm good with it being a quite area. I'm not looking to raise hell. We are going for my sons 13th bday. He asked to go to P.P. and Roger Clyne happens to be playing. Our family loves the band so it worked out great. I was able to get a house across the street from JJ's. Im not sure if thats going to be a blessing or a curse.

20 years ago it would be exciting to say the least. Now it will be OK.
Might see some additional cars going by and some additional whoops and hollers from the later partiers. But it would be fine.

playaperro

El Pirata
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm good with it being a quite area. I'm not looking to raise hell. We are going for my sons 13th bday. He asked to go to P.P. and Roger Clyne happens to be playing. Our family loves the band so it worked out great. I was able to get a house across the street from JJ's. Im not sure if thats going to be a blessing or a curse.
What time is the concert?

In June through August, Cholla Bay is the best place to view sunsets since the mountains block the view from Sandy Beach.
Also, JJ's with a frosty beer and a nice breeze watching the sunset in July/August is priceless.
In July/August with no breeze sitting in the car with the A/C blowing (priceless) at the boat launch (by JJ's) seeing the sunset
with a cold one and is also special. LOL

Jellyfish

All the homes in the area are on septic tanks and the drainage is not real geat. I iknow people who eat them but as Senor Bear says, 'I would not eat them". Rather go to La Pinta for clams, or buy them in the old port, or go to Capones and get the big bucket and eat them there !!!!
You can eat the clams, just go out a long way from shore to dig for them.