10-7-20 Report

estevan

Monday and Tuesday evenings from about 20 min before sunset to dusk provided some great orangemouth corvina fishing from shore. I threw on the headlamp, a black clouser minnow and shuffled my way out past the reef. Fish were super active. Unfortunately the window to catch them was short and the low tides with lots of seaweed weren’t ideal for bait fishing. That being said, I was geared up and ready to go this evening, but nothing... I saw a few jump and my BIL got a hit just before sunset, but there was very little action compared to the previous 2 evenings. Not really sure what changed. Weather, tides, wind and temps were all similar. If any of you have some insight, please share. Maybe low pressure moving in?

Boat fishing was good during the day. Strangely we only caught one large needle fish and a couple dozen trigger. Not even a rock bass and trolling only produced more trigger, a couple of which got a hook in the eye when they came in too close for a look.

Attachments

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Monday and Tuesday evenings from about 20 min before sunset to dusk provided some great orangemouth corvina fishing from shore. I threw on the headlamp, a black clouser minnow and shuffled my way out past the reef. Fish were super active. Unfortunately the window to catch them was short and the low tides with lots of seaweed weren’t ideal for bait fishing. That being said, I was geared up and ready to go this evening, but nothing... I saw a few jump and my BIL got a hit just before sunset, but there was very little action compared to the previous 2 evenings. Not really sure what changed. Weather, tides, wind and temps were all similar. If any of you have some insight, please share. Maybe low pressure moving in?

Boat fishing was good during the day. Strangely we only caught one large needle fish and a couple dozen trigger. Not even a rock bass and trolling only produced more trigger, a couple of which got a hook in the eye when they came in too close for a look.
There was an October in 2016 where I couldn't troll more than 10ft without getting slammed by some pretty big Cochi. I wonder if October is their month? That Cochi in pic two is a biggin. My friend got his jet ski fixed just in the nick of time. He's headed down this weekend to try his luck.

estevan

I know certain fish have their season, but the common catch seems to always be changing. Early this year it was Sierra, now it’s cochi. I didn’t catch many corvina for years but for the last year or so I’ve been able to go out and catch 10-15 in an evening with the right conditions. And the bonefish and leatherjacks I caught so many of early last year seem to have all but vanished. You gotta love the variety of the sea