1990 Suzuki Samurai

Terry C

I am having problems with keeping it running after a ½ hour or so driving around. It seems to be running out of gas. I turn it off for a while and it runs ok for a bit.

I have undone the fuel line under the frame and it is pumping gas.

I did the computer diagnostic per the manual and no code comes up.

It is fuel injected.

Checked all the wires, plug wires etc.

I don’t want to bring it back to the states. Any help would be appreciated where I could get it fixed in RP

It will be sometime in September before I am able to get down

Thanks Terry

Kenny

It must have a fuel filter, replace it. If it has any rubber fuel lines, replace those as well. Sometimes after you shut it off the particles settle and clear themselves in the filter.. With the rubber fuel lines, the flow will cause cracks (for lack of a better term that I can think of right now) to close up, and when you stop and it relaxes, it opens up again..

Last edited:

Kenny

The gas is pumping through the filter when I unhooked it under the frame.
I've had two Toyota's that would run after they sat, but would get clogged up after the gas flowed for awhile. It was just like running out of gas. I discovered the first one on a cross country trip from Washington state.. It would stop, I'd get out and tap the filter, and I was good for about 100 miles, and then I'd have to do it again..It's cheap, and worth a shot.

Roberto

Another possibility is vapor lock in the fuel line. AS the engine heats up this problem will appear. Check the fuel lines and make sure none are close to a high heat source, like the exhaust pipe or manifold. When it quits, wrap a wet cloth around the fuel line and see if it will start after a minute or so.

Terry C

Thanks Roberto,
It never has died on me just sputters when you give it more pedal. Put it in neutral and it idles fine.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I just changed the fuel filter in my toyota, which was doing the same thing, sputter but run fine in neutral, took the old filter and tap it and you would not believe the amount of crap that came out of it!!!
unlike Kenny I could not reach my fuel filter to tap it in line otherwise I would have gotten another 500 miles, two trip to PP, damm it if I would've known!!!

Last edited:

rikyt

Put a fuel pressure gauge in before the carburetor or if it is injected put a gauge on the Injection fitting on the rack so you can read the fuel pressure. Put the gauge under the hood with a hose and put it by the windshield so you can read it when driving and this will tell you if you are loosing fuel pressure. If it is injected you can use a A/C gauge and hose to read the fuel pressure because they use the same type fitting and it doesn't hurt the gauge.

P

Penasco Pirate

Have you checked the catalytic (sp?) converter, O2 sensor, mass air flow sensor, etc. Yours may or may not have these, is it TBI injected? It woould likely only have the O2 sensor and cat. The TBI regulator could be bad, O2 sensor shot or maybe the cat partially clogged. Check pressures first...see if maybe you can find someone with a snap-on code reader...if it's pitching a code, you'll know right where to look!

Jim

You could call my buddy Steve "Mcgyver" Moreno. I can't tell you how many people have taken their vehicles to him after having them "fixed" by another local mechanic. He owned the Speedy Racing shop in Marana for many years and finally moved here full time. Just this morning he came over because my 4x4 didn't want to kick in yesterday. He fixed a vacuum hose and was done in 5 minutes - no charge. He really is a good and honest guy. He also bartends for us at the Camel Toe Cantina on Thrusday-Saturday nights. He has all the tools and computer code stuff. Let me know if you want his number.

JimMcG

You could call my buddy Steve "Mcgyver" Moreno. I can't tell you how many people have taken their vehicles to him after having them "fixed" by another local mechanic. He owned the Speedy Racing shop in Marana for many years and finally moved here full time. Just this morning he came over because my 4x4 didn't want to kick in yesterday. He fixed a vacuum hose and was done in 5 minutes - no charge. He really is a good and honest guy. He also bartends for us at the Camel Toe Cantina on Thrusday-Saturday nights. He has all the tools and computer code stuff. Let me know if you want his number.
Good to know.

B

bandicoot

Have you checked the catalytic (sp?) converter, O2 sensor, mass air flow sensor, etc. Yours may or may not have these, is it TBI injected? It woould likely only have the O2 sensor and cat. The TBI regulator could be bad, O2 sensor shot or maybe the cat partially clogged. Check pressures first...see if maybe you can find someone with a snap-on code reader...if it's pitching a code, you'll know right where to look!

I just happen to know a guy that has a Snap-on Scanner:-D

B

bandicoot

Yes, unless someone added a filter there should be only one. I would try replacing that first.

B

bandicoot

Another thing is to remove the fuel cap when it starts acting up. I've seen fuel pumps that are getting weak (but not totally bad) do this.

P

Penasco Pirate

Hey crash (Bandicoot), I was thinking of you but we are in the states...he's in our second home, time for another trip....hhmmmm?