7 Killers of a tourist arrested. Be careful where you go!

Bendog

It's a good point. I know my fear is not that I will be targeted by the cartel, or that the police will somehow just throw me in jail... my one fear is that I will be at the wrong place at the wrong time and get caught in some crazy crossfire. I realize the chances are low, but that is what my fear is when going to rocky point (note that I'm not hunkered down every time I go, or peeing myself from fear... it's just one of the fears I can't shake in my head).

So this is a good article that shows it happens everywhere, and you have to let go of the fear. I haven't heard of any tourists getting caught in crossfire and killed in RP, but now I have in San Francisco. So should I fear SF? Nope. Hence I don't have a rational fear of rocky point.

Braden_909

Design & Marketing Gringo
With Border

Without Border

Oh oops, is a border more than just a black line on a map? Oops.

audsley

While it will seem ridiculous to Americans, this incident could have some effect on tourists coming to the US from Europe. Europeans aren't used to the idea of teenagers openly blasting away at each other in the streets. (Urinating, yes, but not shooting.)

Not too many years ago the European press was making a big deal about the dangers of crime in Miami. Floridians were quick to point out that because Florida competes with southern Europe for tourist dollars, the press had a conflict of interest and was in the tank for its own continent. Lately it's been suggested that other interests competing for tourist dollars are dong the same thing to RP, and there could be some truth to that. We should be able to rely on the press to be objective and thorough about such matters, but they seem to welcome any controversy someone will feed them. When potential tourists read that one of their own kind has been murdered in a foreign country, the competition immediately gets an effective poster child.

Most people, even educated people, seem to operate more on emotion than by figuring probabilities, especially with subjects with which they aren't real familiar and aren't sure how to navigate through all the variables. Most Americans aren't real familiar with Mexico and especially not with the situation in Rocky Point, and they simply don't see any reason to take chances. I've had several people turn down my invitations to join us for a Rocky Point excursion, and that's been their reasoning. (Along with the fact that some of them may regard me as something of a risk-taker and aren't sure they'd be in the safest hands to begin with.) Even one senseless murder of an innocent tourist in Rocky Point doing what most of us do will likely be enough to take American tourism down to about half its present level, which is already struggling. That's not how it should be, but it's how it is.

Last edited:

El Gato

I wonder if the State Department is planning on issuing an alert for traveling to San Franciso this summer! lol

Braden_909

Design & Marketing Gringo
Hey guys, the bad media doesn't even matter. With all the time we sit around complaining about it, it won't make any difference, they'll ALWAYS be telling US residents crap about Mexico because they want to keep their dollars. Instead of getting hung up on that, and trying to change what will never be changed, its time to focus on where our market and economy is in Rocky Point now, and that is, NATIONALS. Businesses need proper marketing strategies more than ever in a market that has changed so much. This means completely changing their approach. This is now a Mexican market, maybe that is what it should have been all along. Americans are tourists and should be treated with respect, but Americans are NOT Rocky Points economy, not anymore. American style business tactics appeal to Nationals because it's different, it's also for the most part more clean and fair, but that does not mean that American businesses should be focusing on Americans.

apb739

Safety Tips for Vacation Season

Vacation time!! While making hotel and flight reservations are important, vacationers should also plan for other problems such as theft or injury. Using common sense and taking safety precautions can help travelers enjoy a safe vacation.
Physical Safety:

• Always stay with people you trust.
  • Do not go anywhere with a stranger -- even during the day.
  • Carry a cell phone at all times in case of an emergency.
  • Call home periodically to let family members know you are safe.
  • Keep your identification with you.
  • Be aware of local laws regarding alcohol.
  • Do not drink and drive.
  • Always lock and bolt your hotel room when you are inside it.
Property Safety:

• Always keep your hotel room locked.
  • Try to leave valuables at home.
  • Lock any valuables you do take in the hotel safe.
  • Beware of scam artists or pick pockets.
  • If your cell phone or credit card is stolen, report it immediately and cancel service.
  • Do not carry or accept packages from strangers.
Beach Safety:

• Always use sun block.
  • Never swim alone and only swim when lifeguards are present.
  • Do not consume alcohol when swimming or operating boating equipment.
  • Take strong current and riptide warnings seriously.
Traveling Out of the Country:

• Keep your passport in a secure location.
  • Bring a photocopy of your passport.
  • Know that laws and safety standards may be different.
  • Leave a copy of your itinerary with family or friends at home.
  • Familiarize yourself with local laws and safety concerns at the State Department website.
  • Register your travel plans with the State Department through a free online service at https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/ .

A

angelinastones

Oh! This is scary! They should really be arrested. What's their motive on killing people? It won't help them, this just made them suffer. Crime is really the top of economic crisis. Hope it won't increase. The government must focus on this, because there are many unemployed people.

You guys keep putting these "gotcha" titles up here, but you have no idea how many people just read titles and don't bother to click on the link. You just throw the link and, well, at least after the title you could say, "NOT MEXICO" or something.

I don't think so many threads with this sort of sarcastic themed title are doing any good. I get your point, but at least preface it with the words "reality check" once someone actually gets to the thread. or beforehand. This isn't The Onion, you know? People aren't expecting sarcasm, and with the new rules, they have to create an account before reading the actual thread. How many times have you left a forum after they asked your email, password, etc...

Anyway, food for thought. Your joke is getting old, and your message is dead-on, but at least put a warning in front of it for newbies.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
OMG THIS THREAD IS ABOUT TO BE A CRAP STORM!!! lol GOOD THING IM LEAVING FOR A WEEK! MY ONE FEAR IS NOT GETTING KILLED BY NARCOS BUT GETTING SLAMMED HEAD ON BY SOME DRUNK MOTHER SUCKER DRIVING THE WRONG WAY!! I WOULD RATHER DRINK AND DRIVE IN MEXICO THAN GET INTO ANYYYYYYYYY CAB IN ROCKY POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY LIFE IN MY HANDS NO ONE ELSE. ALL OF US ARE FAR MORE LIKELY TO DIE IN A CAR ACCIDENT DRIVING TO OR FROM ROCKY POINT THAN TAKE A BULLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSS MATES

AZ ROB

Joe the sad part is I have been going to Rocky Point every 2 weeks for the past year and a half and as I try to recall I have never seen any car accidents in Rocky Point. I have seen some pretty bad ones going to and from. Just my observation...

Joe the sad part is I have been going to Rocky Point every 2 weeks for the past year and a half and as I try to recall I have never seen any car accidents in Rocky Point. I have seen some pretty bad ones going to and from. Just my observation...
Rob....I had one with my 3 month old truck several years ago....almost got t-boned by a kid with no license (is that so rare in Penasco) speeding down a side street (dirt)....fortunately I saw him the last second and was able to turn my vehicle so it was more of a side swipe! I now "assume" that the locals will not stop at a stop sign or red light!

The police impound yard is up past Mark's place....just check it out some time for all the wrecks. Maybe Rosy will pipe up with some recent statistics!!!

Kenny

I posted that exact same observation a few years ago, and more than a few agreed. You would think I would have seen a lot of wrecks in town in all the years I've been going down, but no... Now I have seen a lot of quad accidents involving stupid Americans.

And like Mexico Joe said
"MY ONE FEAR IS NOT GETTING KILLED BY NARCOS BUT GETTING SLAMMED HEAD ON BY SOME DRUNK MOTHER SUCKER DRIVING THE WRONG WAY!!"

Last edited: