A few Newbe questions about the border

Hi
We are a Canadian couple who are coming down to Rocky Point for the first time in December for six months.

We are currently in Nevada. We bought a car here, with Nevada plates. I was wondering if being Canadians, and having a car with Nevada plates, we would have a problem getting the car back across the border into the USA, six months later.

When you enter Mexico do they stamp your passport as good for a six month stay?

What is the best and safest crossing point Lukville AZ?

Much appreciated
Chris

I am canadian and own condo in rp. Lukevile is safe to cross but would travel during daytime hours. No, they do not stamp your passport going in to rp @ lukeville border but will scan coming back into usa. I am not sure on nevada plates coming back to usa as we have canadian plates. I would call usa border. Lucky you going to rp for 6 months..cant wait until thats us!! Great place!

Roberto

I'm a full timer here, have been for 6 years or so. I don't cross much but talk to lots of people that do.

I think if the registration and title are in your names you should not have a problem with the vehicle. Be sure to get you Mexican Vehicle insurance from Rosie at Pro Alliance insurance here in Penasco. She is a great asset to visitors. You can get it onlline.

You should stop on the Mexican side at the border and get an FMT, Mexican Tourist Visa. Easy and simple, need a passport, cost a few bucks, you pay at the bank across the street. Just pull over to the right after you pass inspection and go into the building that would be on your right as you cross, immediately adjacent to the inspection area. Just go in, fill out the paperwork, open all hours that the border is open, no problems.

Lukeville has been a very safe crossing. Very few problems reported. Traffic can be a little busy but the signage is good to Penasco as you pass through Sonoita. Seems there is more hassle on the US side than on the Mexican side with inspections and slight delays so don't be too surprised. Please also be aware the both Ajo Arizona USA and Sonoyta, Sonora, Mx. are speed traps. Watch the signs carefully and obey carefully. The Sheriff's in Ajo may get right up on your bumper even though you are not speeding. Patience is the key. I will pull over and let them pass if they do that. The Mexican side is in KMPH and is set very slow. Locals will be passing you and riding close but ignore that and stick to the limit. Here it is not the patrol vehicles but radar. There is typically a radar guy operating as you exit Sonoita so watch for that.

The highway between Sonoita and Penasco is better than the highway down from Ajo. Here people tend to fly so don't be surprise to get passed a lot. Mostly AZ plated vehicles in my experience. Little to no speed enforcement here.

As you approach Penasco ther most likely will be a military stop. They have been very polite and are just doing their job of inspecting vehicles both ways.

The winters here are cool, but mild compared to the North Country. Lots of sunny days, maybe a little breezy from time to time and perhaps a shower or two as December is the rainy month here. All in all be prepared to relax and enjoy Penasco. You can find a wealth of information here on this forum and a large number of people willing to answer dumb questions too.

GV Jack

Snorin God
Two things..

1) Do not ask him (Roberto) for directions and....

2) When driving in town, watch out for the stop lights. :hairout: They are usually on the side of street signs, up in the air and hard to see.

We hope you enjoy it there as much as we do. Eh?

Roberto

Yes, In Penasco watch out for stop signs, stop lights, people on bicycles, vehicles with no lights, loco taxi drivers and a certain visitor from Green Valley, AZ. I give detailed, comprehensive, excellent directions BTW !! Just that SOME people do nto pay adequate attention.

What part of canada are you from?
Toronto, but we left Canada about 5 years ago, expats ever since. Spent 4 and a half years in the Caribbean (Don't want to ever do that again) been in Las Vegas 4 months. We have to leave the US because as Canadians we can only stay max 6 months. So looking forward to Rocky Point!

was just at INM on friday. 26 USD for the FMM you can pay it right there if it is in dollars, pay at the bank if you have pesos. sign on the door said 8a to 12:30p friday thru monday ?

Rhino

Should you not already have living arrangements for your Rocky Point stay (which you no doubt do) please let me know. I have a beautiful 2 bedroom condo in Bella Serena on Sandy Beach which just became available. Good luck and enjoy!

Should you not already have living arrangements for your Rocky Point stay (which you no doubt do) please let me know. I have a beautiful 2 bedroom condo in Bella Serena on Sandy Beach which just became available. Good luck and enjoy!
We already signed a contract for 6 months through Long Realty Rocky Point. We did it sight unseen it's a 2 bedroom at the Sonoran Spa. I hope we made the right decision. We faxed the rental agreement about a week ago (very lengthy I might add) and I heard from the agent we should hear back tomorrow.
Do you know anything about that property? Is it Ok?
Thanks Chris

garyd

was just at INM on friday. 26 USD for the FMM you can pay it right there if it is in dollars, pay at the bank if you have pesos. sign on the door said 8a to 12:30p friday thru monday ?
I forgot they changed the term from FMT to FMM thanks for clarifying.

garyd

We already signed a contract for 6 months through Long Realty Rocky Point. We did it sight unseen it's a 2 bedroom at the Sonoran Spa. I hope we made the right decision. We faxed the rental agreement about a week ago (very lengthy I might add) and I heard from the agent we should hear back tomorrow.
Do you know anything about that property? Is it Ok?
Thanks Chris
Great property. Depending on the price for the 6 months you may want to check out Puerta Privada for your next trip. There are no weekend renters there and it tends to be less noisy on the weekends.

mis2810

Great property. Depending on the price for the 6 months you may want to check out Puerta Privada for your next trip. There are no weekend renters there and it tends to be less noisy on the weekends.

That's because Puerta Privada is basically the local mortuary. It seems like people go in there and then they're never seen again! LOL

DeeDee

You don't need the FMM if your staying within the 100km free zone. As I'm sure you have your Canadian Passport.

Roberto

By law anyone staying in Mexico more than 72 hours is required to have a FMT (FMM)?

Free zone or not.
FMM or higher, Imigrado or Imagrante, that's what I was told by the folks a the Immigration office. BTW, they are a good crew there.

playaperro

El Pirata
If visiting for any amount of time you will never be asked for one here in Penasco, If you are buying a property or working yes they will ask for one.

Roberto

If visiting for any amount of time you will never be asked for one here in Penasco, If you are buying a property or working yes they will ask for one.
That is pretty true accurate and also true that the law requires that you have one. Ya makes yer choice, ya takes yer chances. The difference between Mexico and the US on this is pretty interesting. Tells you a lot.