Adobe Ovens built to order

jerry

image.jpgimage.jpg So tried out my pizza oven tonight.I really need some practice but this thing cooks great. 3 hours later and left open it still is 350 degrees inside. my friends can come up and build you one in a weekend......they make the adobe blocks themselves too and can provide a truck load of cut to size mesquite when needed.

Kenny

Cooled way down from 101 high up here today. We had those evening showers this afternoon along with thunder and lighting and it's cooled down to 72 or so as of now 11:45 with a low of 62 late morning. Same tomorrow, love those summer showers and pray they fell over Yarnell way too.

Esperanza

View attachment 6233View attachment 6234 So tried out my pizza oven tonight.I really need some practice but this thing cooks great. 3 hours later and left open it still is 350 degrees inside. my friends can come up and build you one in a weekend......they make the adobe blocks themselves too and can provide a truck load of cut to size mesquite when needed.
Hi Jerry, we're looking for Adobe Blocks or the raw materials to make adobes ourselves. Can you help us out? You can pm me if you like. Thx !

So tried out my pizza oven tonight.I really need some practice but this thing cooks great.
Looks like you have a good start on those pizzas. Suggestion: Drop the plain, formed dough in the oven until lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from oven, flip, add toppings to browned side and place back in the oven.

jerry

Looks like you have a good start on those pizzas. Suggestion: Drop the plain, formed dough in the oven until lightly browned on the bottom. Remove from oven, flip, add toppings to browned side and place back in the oven.
The damn thing was so hot it cooked a pizza in under 10 minutes....hard to get it off the big wooden thing...more flour I guess

The damn thing was so hot it cooked a pizza in under 10 minutes....hard to get it off the big wooden thing...more flour I guess
I’ve read that dough sticking to the pizza peel when being transferred to the oven or grill is a common problem. That can be resolved by:
1. Forming the dough on a counter or cutting board before transferring it to the peel
2. Top it quickly (unless you do the bake-turn-top-and-bake method) because the longer dough sits on the peel, the stickier it gets
3. Sprinkle rice flour (you’d have to get it at some fancy store, but you can also grind a little white or brown rice in a blender) on the peel before placing the dough – it apparently slides right off. (Cornmeal is an alternative, but you get crunchy “gruts” in the finished product.)
I bypass all that nonsense and take slightly chilled, formed dough (so that handles easily without getting all goopy and stretchy) and throw it on the grill; then do the bake-turn-top-and-bake procedure. Works every time.

Terry C

At the pizza party in Playa Encanto the guy had a huge spatula almost the size of the pizza and would continually lift the pizza and move it around while it cooked[FONT=arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Pizza Making 101.

Pizza Making 101.
Semolina flour is good for the pizza not sticking to the peel as well as as little time on the peel as possible.
When cooking a pizza in a dome oven with wood, the oven floor temperature should be over 550 degrees with 650-750 being optimal. Up in the dome it will be 900+.

Pizza will cook in 1 1/2 to 2 minutes which is why it is rotated a few times to keep it from burning and lifted off the oven floor to have the dome heat cook
the top for 10-20 seconds. The dough will get perfect when cooked in this high of a heat. Use an infared thermometer to verify temp. of oven.

At home I have 2 stones in my electric oven, one on the oven floor and one on the top rack 3" from the broiler. I cook at 500 degrees and start on the lower stone raise to the top after 2-3 minutes and finish it there. Crust gets some crisp and char which adds to the flavor.

You can buy pizza dough at Fresh and Easy, (it's good for $1.50 per ball) or at Sprouts (frozen at $2.50) which is better and at your
local pizza place if the sell it, many will, but some refuse to.

Don't load up the toppings or you will get a really soggy pizza, and let the dough get to room temperature before stretching it.

Now I really want a dome oven for my backyard.

jerry

Pizza Making 101.
Semolina flour is good for the pizza not sticking to the peel as well as as little time on the peel as possible.
When cooking a pizza in a dome oven with wood, the oven floor temperature should be over 550 degrees with 650-750 being optimal. Up in the dome it will be 900+.

Pizza will cook in 1 1/2 to 2 minutes which is why it is rotated a few times to keep it from burning and lifted off the oven floor to have the dome heat cook
the top for 10-20 seconds. The dough will get perfect when cooked in this high of a heat. Use an infared thermometer to verify temp. of oven.

At home I have 2 stones in my electric oven, one on the oven floor and one on the top rack 3" from the broiler. I cook at 500 degrees and start on the lower stone raise to the top after 2-3 minutes and finish it there. Crust gets some crisp and char which adds to the flavor.

You can buy pizza dough at Fresh and Easy, (it's good for $1.50 per ball) or at Sprouts (frozen at $2.50) which is better and at your
local pizza place if the sell it, many will, but some refuse to.

Don't load up the toppings or you will get a really soggy pizza, and let the dough get to room temperature before stretching it.

Now I really want a dome oven for my backyard.
thanks man! This was just the info I needed.. Mine must have been 700 degrees and the trader Joes crust tasted great.I have the Brooklyn Pizza crust secret recipe too but it is for huge batches.....

Terry C

jerry, if that doesn't work out you can always call in an order to Domino's pizza in RP. They deliver ya know? May take a day or two to get there on those little scooters....

jerry

jerry, if that doesn't work out you can always call in an order to Domino's pizza in RP. They deliver ya know? May take a day or two to get there on those little scooters....
Sorry Terry I am now a pizza snob.....because you know I do have my own outdoor pizza oven. I also plan to grow my own basil and tomatoes,make my own cheese and grow mushrooms in the mineshaft behind my ranch.The pepperoni will be avoided at all costs.

Pizza Snobs Unite,
Something funny we discovered is that the Domino's Pizza in RP has better tasting sauce than at the ones where we live.
My daughters make us get Domino-crap as I call them 2-3x per year. Other wise it is my pizza or pizza from a couple of Brooklyn style joints near us.
Heck even when we are on vacation in California I will always find a good NY style pizzeria near where we stay. (Yelp is good for this)

Landshark

Sorry Terry I am now a pizza snob.....because you know I do have my own outdoor pizza oven. I also plan to grow my own basil and tomatoes,make my own cheese and grow mushrooms in the mineshaft behind my ranch.The pepperoni will be avoided at all costs.
Better be careful with the "mushrooms" you got growing in the mineshaft!

jerry

image.jpg
Better be careful with the "mushrooms" you got growing in the mineshaft!
I was hiking with my dog one day up high in The Chircicahuas and spotted this cow pie.One deadly,the rest edible except for the"magic" one. i eat one and say to my dog who at this point isn't talking back but looking a bit worried "what can go wrong". So were sitting there starring at my hand leaving trails in the air and a rattle snake comes within 2 feet of me...thank goodness I didn't sell back the old snake gun in the gun buy back,

Roberto

Hi Jerry, we're looking for Adobe Blocks or the raw materials to make adobes ourselves. Can you help us out? You can pm me if you like. Thx !
GOOGLE CINVA Ram. Simple technology to make compressed earth blocks. There are several layers of clay in Lopez that you could mine. Alternatively look up making adobe bricks. No ram needed, sun dried, mix by hand or with a cement mixer.

Esperanza

GOOGLE CINVA Ram. Simple technology to make compressed earth blocks. There are several layers of clay in Lopez that you could mine. Alternatively look up making adobe bricks. No ram needed, sun dried, mix by hand or with a cement mixer.
Thanks Roberto, but making the adobe bricks is not the problem...... Finding the Clay is the problem. You say there are several layers of clay in Lopez, but all we've found is SAND !!! You know, you could come out and dig some up for us if you like...LOL. We have dug down and found caliche, but that's about it. If all else fails, we'll have to resort to block construction.