Advice needed for first time in PP

Rob

A buddy (mid 30's) and I (early 40's) will be heading down this weekend (2/20 - 2/22). We're staying at Las Palomas. I am hoping some of you are able to help with a few questions:

Will PP be busy, dead, or somewhere in between? Will we successfully avoid the college crowd? Is there always a college crowd?

I would like to eat myself into oblivion. I certainly plan on visiting Taco de Poblano and Pollo Lucas. Are there any other places we MUST eat at? Is the food at Las Palomas actually good?

Who should we buy from at the fish market? Must I take a bottle of water to get a fair shake? Though I'd imagine if I get "ripped off" I'm still getting better shrimp / fish at a better price than the states...

In terms of nightlife, where do the college kids go? Where do the less-young adults go?

Where is it *not* safe to walk at night? Where is it not safe to walk during the day?

Reading the forums, I gather there are a number of window "washers". Would you recommend just taking taxis whenever possible to avoid the hassle?

I hear JJ's takes donations to help locals. Is this legit?

I know I'm very inquisitive. Thank you in advance for your time! :)

A buddy (mid 30's) and I (early 40's) will be heading down this weekend (2/20 - 2/22). We're staying at Las Palomas. I am hoping some of you are able to help with a few questions:

Will PP be busy, dead, or somewhere in between? Will we successfully avoid the college crowd? Is there always a college crowd?

I would like to eat myself into oblivion. I certainly plan on visiting Taco de Poblano and Pollo Lucas. Are there any other places we MUST eat at? Is the food at Las Palomas actually good?

Who should we buy from at the fish market? Must I take a bottle of water to get a fair shake? Though I'd imagine if I get "ripped off" I'm still getting better shrimp / fish at a better price than the states...

In terms of nightlife, where do the college kids go? Where do the less-young adults go?

Where is it *not* safe to walk at night? Where is it not safe to walk during the day?

Reading the forums, I gather there are a number of window "washers". Would you recommend just taking taxis whenever possible to avoid the hassle?

I hear JJ's takes donations to help locals. Is this legit?

I know I'm very inquisitive. Thank you in advance for your time! :)
You don't have to worry about the college crowd until March. Beach Girl and I always buy from Mr. Fish (Gumez), if the bottle of water is to check their scales, not recommended, take what you get and say Gracias. The vendors seem to have an uncanny memory?? Can't give you any input on where to stay away from at night don't go too far from the PDO at night, during the day, I would say you can go anywhere you want. MUST eat La Curva.

Reactions: Rob

ben21

Wrecked at the Reef or Boo Bar would be good nightlife spots for people your age. Order the Papa Rellena at Tacos Brissa for the ultimate hangover cure. It's more of a taco stand than restaurant, but you've got to do at least one taco stand anyway. Most cab drivers will know where it is. There's also some instructions it you search the forum.

http://www.rockypointdan.com/blogs/dan_monroe/archive/2011/07/14/best-tacos-in-rocky-point-mexico-tacos-brissa.aspx

There was a recent thread about the fish market and some posters chimed about "their guy." I know many people buy from the processing plant, but lets face it, that's not great option if you're just visiting. I'd rather pay the extra few bucks and be in the market. Like you said, for the amount you're probably buying, you're still probably getting better/cheaper shrimp than in the states.

As for where not to walk, there really isn't any really bad area. That being said, stumbling around calle 13 looking for blow at 4am could lead to some issues. Of course doing that has it's risks anywhere.

Oh, and don't bother eating at Las Palomas unless you have too. So many other options. Even if you want to stay on Sandy Beach and have a nice meal, go to Mar Blu. It's right down the road.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Wrecked at the Reef or Boo Bar would be good nightlife spots for people your age. Order the Papa Rellena at Tacos Brissa for the ultimate hangover cure. It's more of a taco stand than restaurant, but you've got to do at least one taco stand anyway. Most cab drivers will know where it is. There's also some instructions it you search the forum.

http://www.rockypointdan.com/blogs/dan_monroe/archive/2011/07/14/best-tacos-in-rocky-point-mexico-tacos-brissa.aspx

There was a recent thread about the fish market and some posters chimed about "their guy." I know many people buy from the processing plant, but lets face it, that's not great option if you're just visiting. I'd rather pay the extra few bucks and be in the market. Like you said, for the amount you're probably buying, you're still probably getting better/cheaper shrimp than in the states.

As for where not to walk, there really isn't any really bad area. That being said, stumbling around calle 13 looking for blow at 4am could lead to some issues. Of course doing that has it's risks anywhere.

Oh, and don't bother eating at Las Palomas unless you have too. So many other options. Even if you want to stay on Sandy Beach and have a nice meal, go to Mar Blu. It's right down the road.
Thank you! Read a lot of good things about Boo Bar on the forums, so we'll have to check that out.

Papa Rellena at Tacos Brissa is now on the list, though I think I'll be more stuffed than hung-over for most of the trip. Are they open in the morning?

And no plans to stumble around Calle 13 at 4AM. If we let our poor decision making skills take over and decide to go to Gau Gau (?), we'll take a taxi. :D

Is Blue Marlin worth a visit?

Rob

You don't have to worry about the college crowd until March. Beach Girl and I always buy from Mr. Fish (Gumez), if the bottle of water is to check their scales, not recommended, take what you get and say Gracias. The vendors seem to have an uncanny memory?? Can't give you any input on where to stay away from at night don't go too far from the PDO at night, during the day, I would say you can go anywhere you want. MUST eat La Curva.
Thank you! I will put La Cuerva on the list and go see Mr. Fish.

playaperro

El Pirata
What kind of Happy hour do they have, wings nacho's, marg's specials, how bout beer prices, don't care to much for can or bottle beer?! Capones has beer on tap..

I cant remember all items on hh but wings were for sure...they were under $5 i believe. Beer and margs 1/2 price...so was like $1.50 beer/2.50 marg. and pina coladas. They periodically play a happy hour song and if you reconize it drinks were buy 1 get 1 free. It was 3-6. There regular menu prices are good too. Our food was delicious.

Landshark

Lots of other activities to do in Penasco other than the restaurants, bars, & clubs. Do yourself a favor and check out the area. There is a great place to visit in Las Conchas called CEDO. http://www.cedointercultural.org/ For a great lunch experience check out one of the several oyster farms along the edge of the estuary. They are the freshest you will ever find. Also many boat tours available. The EcoFun does tours, there are whale watching tours, fishing, sunset cruises, even a pirate ship cruise. For more info on this stuff just search the forum.

fjrjon

What kind of Happy hour do they have, wings nacho's, marg's specials, how bout beer prices, don't care to much for can or bottle beer?! Capones has beer on tap..
$2 National Beers, Half priced margs, $3 wells. $4 Wings, nachos and a couple other items. Sun -thurs 3-6pm

InkaRoads

cronopiador
and then of course is the real Mexico taste however it means getting off the tourists main streets and the well known tourist places, I personally will tell you DO NOT waste your time and money at La Curva, texmex at its worst is what you will get!! instead you can try La Cita Cafe for a better and more original flavor located in Cuahutemoc and Sonora, or tell the taxi driver to take you there! best birria in town, a little out of the way Birrieria Sinaloa Ahome on Simon Morua, same street as ACE hardware, it is about a mile from Benito Juarez across from the school it is open 6:30am to 2 pm everyday and if you are hangover you better get there, believe it or not after years of tasting around I found the best fried fish is at BooBar!! the whole fish AWESOME!! it is a must try if you go to RP and of course "Chon's" bacon wrap hotdogs in Constitucion just north of Benito Juarez (The main street that comes from USA) then again nothing has been written about colors or tastes each person has their own, mine is more Mexico when in Mexico!! hope you enjoy and experience Mexico for what it is and not for what the media tells you!!

dmcauley

I don't know why anyone would tell you not to eat at La Curva, or to eat at an italian restaurant in Mexico ( mar blu) but my wife (a RP native) and myself love La Curva' Nice to hear Boo Bar has good fish because besides Al Capones, a good fish meal can be hard to find. Inka is definitely right about eating on the streets, that is where some of the best food is to be found.

El Gato

Pane e Vino has great food and understand they do a Sunday brunch now. It is not Mexican food but it is a fun place to go and Luca & Karina are fantastic. A lot of the local people eat there. There are so many places to try and things to do that you'll have to keep coming back over and over. One problem you will discover is that you get someplace, you are having such a great time talking to people and relaxing, that the day has disappeared. Our grand kids were just down and were determined they were going kayaking this time - has been on their to do list for I don't know how many trips. They walked to Wrecked At the Reef - you guessed it, they are planning another trip down in order to get in the kayaking and other items on their to do list - like going to Bird Island.

Have a wonderful time - enjoy yourselves - and get lots of relaxing in - that is what Penasco is most famous for :)

audsley

I don't consider La Curva Tex-Mex. I also don't consider La Curva anything real special, just good Sonoran-style Mexican food like you can find at Tucson's family-owned Mexican restaurants, which is saying a lot. I see you're from Tucson. You can get someting real similar to the La Curva food experience at Mi Niditos and several other places around Tucson.

Not being a seafood connoisieur, I hesitate to make seafood recommendations, but I've always been happy with The Lighthouse and slightly prefer it to El Capitan. You can also get a good plate of Sonoran-style Mexican food there. The Point on the Malecon has also served me some good-tasting fish.

playaperro

El Pirata
Mi Nidito is world famous even Pres-Clinton has his special plate on the menu, Been going to La Curva for over 20 years and would agree with ya audley. I don't know why they tossed Happ's a$$ out of there LOL,

dwig222

Wrecked at the Reef on Sandy Beach was closed last week for remodeling. Their new location across from the penasco del sol hotel is now open. We always eat at LaCurva (good green chili burritos), Lolita's for breakfast, Capones and Ramon's . The restaurants at the resorts can't compare to the little joints in town when it comes to the food, the experience or the prices.

Rob

I'm here and loving it. Went to Blue Marlin. Pretty good fish and shrimp tacos, and their cilantro dressing was delicious. Service was absolutely outstanding. Headed to Señor Amigos, Boo Bar, and The Something? Frog. Good drinks and friendly at all bars. Frog made one of the best Long Island Iced Teas I've had. Not most alcoholic, just best tasting.

Going to browse the forums to see where I can get a good massage.