Advice or suggestions

I'm sure most of you know Marla and Santana, the owners of the Shark Bite bar on the malecon. If you know them, than you know they are good people and Marla is a sweetheart. Marla has been trying to obtain a tourist visa for a couple of years and has been denied each time. They would like to be able to travel to Utah to see Santana's family.
My question is, does anyone have experience in obtaining a tourist visa? Anything someone that has be turned down can do improve their chances of being approved? Do you think if several U.S. citizens wrote letters of recommendation would help? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Roberto

There is a lot of local 'conventional wisdom' about this. I went through it 3 times with Ana. Here's what she though was important: 1. A bank balance in her name. 2. Proof of a good work history in Mexico or student statue. 3. Lots of family ties in Mexico. She never got the visa though. I think there is a profile and I think some of the negatives for women are 1. Child bearing age 2. Unmarried.

If they are married, or intend to get married in the US there is a special visa for that.

Marla and Santana have been married for several years and they own a business in Mexico. Plus they have 2 children that have dual citizenship. The reasons for denial have been vague at best. She is not someone trying to get in to the Country illegally. Thank you for the suggestions.