Aerial Video

gringorio

A Phantom 3 Pro quadcopter. Pretty good for short range... I was talking with my dad today, telling him of my visit to Rocky Point. He first took me to Cholla Bay in 1974, as he insisted on reminding me. We camped on the beach and I still remember the peaceful, pure solitude. How things have changed since then. All about profit/greed. Not to mention the plight of the vaquita and totoaba and the over-fished shrimp fishery as well as the over-priced real estate that has destroyed acres of dune habitat... As far as I can tell, Rocky Point has gone to Hell by way of human avarice and greed...

jerry

Well Known Member
Welcome to the forum if you get a chance fly over that Mormon fueled bad teenager concentration camp at San Jorge South of town.I heard a help message was made in drift wood. Just wait till that sickening Homeport gets going ( hopefully never) it will be turn the existing bad dream into a nightmare.

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hey Gringorio....

Too bad we couldn't see some before and after shots of your aerial tour. The quality of your camera work on that drone is exceptional to say the least!

My first trips to Penasco was also in the early 1970's. We camped behind the dunes at El Mirador where Av. Sinaloa goes over the hill to the beach. I hauled a 16 foot aluminum boat with an old ten horse Sears outboard all the way down there from Indio California to El Golfo then down the beach to the salt station on the rail road tracks. Then we followed the tracks through the dunes and salt flats to Penasco. I would drag that boat by hand to the beach, mount the outboard and head out. I never took it more than fifty yards offshore because I didn't feel like swimming farther than that if I had to. I would always get a big Pinto or two trolling with a Rebel Jointed Fastrac along those rock reefs in front of what now is Manny's and head back in for a delicious barbecue. At low tide you could scour those reefs and find big sun stars, coweries, rock scallops, sea horses and big cup and saucer limpets. The egg shaped depressions still visible on those rocks were made by generations of those long gone limpets. Eight or ten of them grilled in their shell made a delicious appetizer while waiting for the fish to cook. Oh well, gone are the days.

And Jerry, three weeks ago we were pickin' the beach along that stretch of Bahia San Jorge and ran into a group of those concentration camp kids. They had a old small quad stuck in the muck about a half mile out and hailed us down. They wanted us to drive our Ford Raptor out there and drag em' back to terra firma. I told em' no way Jose, better get another plan. They said they were gonna really get punished and was there anything we could possibly do for them. I said I'd be on the lookout for someone with a quad or buggy up the beach. I could tell all they really wanted to do was talk to someone. They were all very polite and very white.

JJ

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
A Phantom 3 Pro quadcopter. Pretty good for short range... I was talking with my dad today, telling him of my visit to Rocky Point. He first took me to Cholla Bay in 1974, as he insisted on reminding me. We camped on the beach and I still remember the peaceful, pure solitude. How things have changed since then. All about profit/greed. Not to mention the plight of the vaquita and totoaba and the over-fished shrimp fishery as well as the over-priced real estate that has destroyed acres of dune habitat... As far as I can tell, Rocky Point has gone to Hell by way of human avarice and greed...

Avarice? and you misspelled eye?! lol jk We use the same Drones at my work for Real Estate photography. You're a master with that thing. Great flying and shooting. Would love to see you shoot one of the Cholla Bay Community.

One last thing, do you really think Sport fishing has anything to do with the current state of the Ocean/Earth? I certainly agree on the other two and mainly capitalism in generally. One line catches 3 tuna or a long line catches a thousand.... an hour. Just for thought... Love the videos! Welcome to the forum

jerry

Well Known Member
Would have been great to of had the drone video the Intrepid nearly sinking and running aground in 15 foot waves this weekend.....man that must have been a ride!

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Hey Gringorio....

I have a proposition for you....

My marine GPS finally took a dump on me last October, along with some nearby local spots that I had stupidly never written down in my logbook. One in particular is a rock, "El Produsor", just a mile or so off of Sandy Beach. It is in 30 or 40 feet of water and can be seen from the surface on a clear calm day. Your aerial footage of the commercial boats clearly showed some of those rocks in that area. Would you, could you, maybe, have some time to meet with me and send your little spy craft out there and locate it for me? I'll pay you well for the service.

As for the "Tuna Boats" in your footage, those big blue guys with the red oxide painted bulbs on the bows are in fact Tuna Boats, but there are no commercial tuna available in the Northern part of the Gulf. We catch a few football sized Yellowfin Tuna in the late summer trolling thirty or forty miles out but never in numbers to justify an expensive outfit like theirs. Your video showed them with big heaps of nets with a smaller power boat on top. Those guys are operating as purse seiners, and their target is Sardines and Flat Iron Herring to be used as fish meal to feed commercial chicken farms farther down south. If you have ever done any beach combing down south, this is the main reason there are so many dead dolphins and sea lions rotting on the beach. No matter what anybody says, dolphins will NOT jump out and over those nets. The sea lions are just shot as pests competing with the fishing boats.

Those boats can change their methods overnight depending on what is on the agenda for a big kill. Sometimes we will see them with dozens of huge orange balls on deck. Those balls are used to suspend a hundred miles of gill nets used to randomly kill sharks, the intended prey, along with Olive Ridley Sea Turtles as well as anything that can get it's head stuck in the invisible monofilament net. Sometimes they will have several hundred smaller floats and huge drums on deck with a hundred miles of baited hooks known as "long lines". This setup is a first class killer as well, just imagine it for a moment.

The smaller boats, commonly known as "shrimp boats" are also multi-method killers. These are "bottom trawlers". They drop barn door sized planks of wood to the bottom and drag them along with the intent of stirring up any critter in their way, kinda' like using the twenty foot wide blade of a road building earth mover to scour the bottom. If times are lean they run a fifty foot wide length of battle ship chain in front of the trawl just to make sure anything buried in the sand gets kicked up too. These boats can change their methods overnight as well, long liners one day, gill netters another day. Most people don't know or refuse to acknowledge the fact that for every ten pounds of shrimp netted by those boats, more than one hundred pounds of dead bycatch AKA "collateral kill" is dumped overboard.

Let me know if you want to get together in the next few weeks, I need to do a Grouper Kill like really BAD!

Thanks,

JJ

jerry

Well Known Member
Hey Gringorio....

My marine GPS finally took a dump on me last October, along with some nearby local spots that I had stupidly never written down in my logbook. One in particular is a rock, "El Produsor", just a mile or so off of Sandy Beach. It is in 30 or 40 feet of water and can be seen from the surface on a clear calm day. Your aerial footage of the commercial boats clearly showed some of those rocks in that area. Would you, could you, maybe, have some time to meet with me and send your little spy craft out there and locate it for me? I'll pay you well for the service.

As for the "Tuna Boats" in your footage, those big blue guys with the red oxide painted bulbs on the bows are in fact Tuna Boats, but there are no commercial tuna available in the Northern part of the Gulf. We catch a few football sized Yellowfin Tuna in the late summer trolling thirty or forty miles out but never in numbers to justify an expensive outfit like theirs. Your video showed them with big heaps of nets with a smaller power boat on top. Those guys are operating as purse seiners, and their target is Sardines and Flat Iron Herring to be used as fish meal to feed commercial chicken farms farther down south. If you have ever done any beach combing down south, this is the main reason there are so many dead dolphins and sea lions rotting on the beach. No matter what anybody says, dolphins will NOT jump out and over those nets. The sea lions are just shot as pests competing with the fishing boats.

Those boats can change their methods overnight depending on what is on the agenda for a big kill. Sometimes we will see them with dozens of huge orange balls on deck. Those balls are used to suspend a hundred miles of gill nets used to randomly kill sharks, the intended prey, along with Olive Ridley Sea Turtles as well as anything that can get it's head stuck in the invisible monofilament net. Sometimes they will have several hundred smaller floats and huge drums on deck with a hundred miles of baited hooks known as "long lines". This setup is a first class killer as well, just imagine it for a moment.

The smaller boats, commonly known as "shrimp boats" are also multi-method killers. These are "bottom trawlers". They drop barn door sized planks of wood to the bottom and drag them along with the intent of stirring up any critter in their way, kinda' like using the twenty foot wide blade of a road building earth mover to scour the bottom. If times are lean they run a fifty foot wide length of battle ship chain in front of the trawl just to make sure anything buried in the sand gets kicked up too. These boats can change their methods overnight as well, long liners one day, gill netters another day. Most people don't know or refuse to acknowledge the fact that for every ten pounds of shrimp netted by those boats, more than one hundred pounds of dead bycatch AKA "collateral kill" is dumped overboard.

Let me know if you want to get together in the next few weeks, I need to do a Grouper Kill like really BAD!

Thanks,

JJ
"If I had a rocket launcher some sob would die". is about right....great summary for the tourists and boosters who keep their heads in the sand

gringorio

Wow! Thanks everyone for your stories and input! Very interesting... I'll be back next week sometime and will hopefully capture more stunning video. Stay tuned!

gringorio

Hey Gringorio....

Thanks,

JJ
Thanks JJ for the interesting information! I would have never known this. Killing the sea to feed chickens? Yuk... I'll let you know when I'm headed down next and maybe we can meet and search for El Produsor...

Last edited:

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
Second video is my favorite area to explore around. I have tons of video going through the trails around the golf course all the way out to Laguna shores.
I would love to get arial footage of our group of sand cars and quads through those areas.
Very nice video.