Ajo Ambulance

fasteddy

I heard over the weekend from a friend that if you or your family are injured while in Rocky Point that you can call Ajo and they will send an ambulance to get you. Is this true? If it is we should get the number out to everyone.

fasteddy

I heard it's about $200 (paid in advance) for an ambulance ride from Rocky Point to the border, does that sound right?

B

bahiatrader

A few years back I rolled my pickup between Sonoyta and Rocky Point rendering me unconscious. A Cruz Roja ambulance hauled me to the border where it was met by the ambulance from Ajo which took me to St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix. All without my conscious direction. My insurance paid for the Ajo ambulance ride. The Cruz Roja said there was no charge, so I made a donation. Since then I always donate to The Cruz Roja when they are soliciting donations on the streets and encourage others to do so. Incidentally, I do NOT recommend St. Joseph's Hospital.

playaperro

El Pirata
Wrecked Truck!

What happened to your pick up? Did you face any charges or have to pay any damages. Also how are you doing?

B

bahiatrader

My pickup, a pretty new Chev 3/4 ton 4X4 was totaled. It took me over a year to collect the insurance money on it. A complete set of sockets and wrenches mysteriously disapeared intact. It took a few hours to straighten things out with the authorities when I returned a couple of weeks later. I had to pay about $50.00 for taking a divot out of the pavement or some such thing. I required several stitches and took a bump on the head that put me out in la la land for a couple of days. My wife was appalled at the treatment and lack of cleanliness at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix. Maybe they were busy, but I was hospitalized for at least a whole day before they cleaned the dirt and gravel out of my wounds and stitched me up. I was still wearing the same dirty, bloody swim shorts when she arrived at Phoenix two days later. Nobody knew who I was for two days including me because my wallet was in the console of the pickup when I wrecked. Scarring was minimal. I don't know if I will ever be mentally correct, but that may have been a pre-existing condition.:???:

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Leenie

I beleive that the one stop clinic on freemont can arrange for ambulance services and airvac. http://www.proalliance.com.mx/1stop.html After we rolled our pickup truck this year we looked into the whole ambulance thing. I know once the american border knows of the accident they can have airvac ready for once you get to the border. The MD I had at John C lincoln was the wife of the MD who runs the trauma services for Organ Pipe National Monument. He is often the first MD someone sees if there is a very serious accident near RP. She informed me the border is well prepared for servious trauma and car/atv accidents.
I was driven out of Mexico and as soon as I reached the border the border guards wanted to call an ambulance for me. We declined since it would be faster for me to drive to phoenix than wait for an ambulance to drive me to phoenix and the person who met us at the border was a nurse.
Rollovers suck!!...wear your seatbelt even if your on a sandy road and you are only driving for one mile.

B

bahiatrader

I don't know how it was arranged, but the Ajo ambulance was waiting for me when Cruz Roja delivered me to the border. I vaguely remember a US Customs agent asking me a couple of questions before they transferred me to the ambulance on the US side. It might be different now with the passport/ID requirements, but the exchange only took a few minutes.

fasteddy

Did any of you have to pay for the ambulance on the mexico side prior to them delivering you to the border? my friend said they wouldn't take his injured daughter anywhere unless he paid $200 in advance. He doesn't contribute to the roadside collections any longer because of that day.

fasteddy

I don't think he expected it for free, it was the "pay now before we go anywhere" regardless of the severity of injury. If the ambulance ride is being paid everytime in advance by everyone what is the purpose of the roadside collection?

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Well, I've never had to deal with any of that in the 43 years I have been going down, knock on wood, so I don't know. I'm sure someone else on this forum will have the answer.

fasteddy

I agree with you Lady, I would however like to be prepared in the event of an injury. I even talked to my wife about leaving a safe at our place with "emergency cash" only in it. does everyone else keep emergency funds and if so how much?
Sorry for all the questions but unfortunatley my wife overeacts to everything she hears about Mexico and I would like to get some knowledge from people who have much more experience about the way things are done than I.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
I don't keep emergency funds but I have local friends who would loan me whatever I needed or help me in any other way that was needed in the blink of an eye. That's a blessing! You can also get money in pesos out of the ATM in the banks with your debit card. I've done that before. It's unfortunate what has been done to Mexico, all the scare tactics and what not. It is no more dangerous now than it has ever been. Just stay out of the drug and other bad areas, don't flash money nor flaunt expensive jewelry. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

fasteddy

I agree, the chances of me getting hurt are slim. I sit on my balcony, wander down the beach and enjoy the atmosphere. I was more or less just seeking advice or info. rule of thumb for me will always have $200-$300 for emergencies.

L

Leenie

My total costs for ambulance and the doctors visit(ambulance from the accident to the clinic, IV pain meds, fluids neuro check, removing glass from my head) in mexico was $214. They asked for payment after I was seen and declared stable. I have nothing bad to say about the treatment or care I recieved for this accident(there is one, having the paramedics TRY to start an IV while driving on the roads in RP really really Hurt!). I am also a nurse so I can generally tell what is good and bad medical care and what I got in mexico was comparable to the states.
We didnt have the cash on us so my husband had to go to the ATM. There were no hassles at all and the pateintly waited for my husband to return from the ATM. We even got a reciept that we could give to our mexican insurance company

Since I had a head injury I needed a CT I had to get to the states for that. My bill with insurance in the states was alot more(and I mean ALOT!!). I got stitches, a Ct scan, an x ray of my wrist, some IV fluids and pain meds.

The red cross ambulance guy spoke perfect english with no accent. He was a great help and talked with the doctor and the police when it was needed.

L

Leenie

ANother thing is to ALWAYS have mexican auto insurance in RP. I always thought that the auto insurance would only be needed in case my truck got stolen or broken into. It never crossed my mind once that I would need the insurance to help pay for medical expenses, towing costs, vehicle repairs and replacements. The yearly policies cover more than the daily rate policies. We had let our yearly policy lapse so we only have a weekend policy.
The scary thing was as we were pulling into Ajo to get insurance I told my Hubby to just forget the insurance, we'd be fine we were only going to be there for 3 days. He said no, we're getting the insurance. I was never so happy to have my hubby not listen to me.

I was always one of those people who thought it would never happen to me. We are cautious driver's and very responsible with our vehicles we dont even go offroading. This was the first accident my husband had ever been in let alone caused. We were just driving from a friends house back to ours to clean up after being at the beach all day playing bocce ball. Since we were only going a mile I didnt have a seatbelt on. I went through the windshield. My Hubby had his on and not a scratch on him. But I was only going one mile on a sandy road, why would I wear a seatbelt.

B

bahiatrader

I went to the clinic on Fremont once with a broken ankle from jumping out of my boat. I was treated quickly and expertly. Xrays, treatment and cast came to about $50.00. The same treatment in the States would have been many times that.
I believe dmcauley is correct. Every action I have seen by the Cruz Roja has been exemplary, and I strongly support them. I'm puzzled about the $200.00 charge. Could it have been from a request that was unnecessary or from a commercial ambulance company? I concur with dmcauley, please donate. Cruz Roja is responsible for saving a lot of lives.
Incidentally, I ALWAYS purchase insurance, and I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt.