Almost the perfect visit...but...

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
Second trip in a row with no stop coming in. No hassles at all.
Weather 16 degrees below normal.
Lots of Mexican tourists, quad rentals were insane.

But, 3 hours after arrival and 5 minutes after getting to the beach, the wind was insane and the waves were insane. Started setting up my rig and turn around and my wife had been getting her ass kicked down the beach. I was concerned but she was smiling.
In comes a big wave and knocks her sun glasses off. I point and she lunges for her sunglasses and grabs them. Another big wave hits her and knocks her down and then.... sucked her wedding ring right off her finger! Gone, the ring I made for her 16 years ago has officially become treasure in the ocean.
Better than her being swept out but devastating.

After a few moments of shock and some tears, nothing else we could do. El Niño took his toll and maybe someday someone will find themselves a little piece of treasure.

The fishing, food and everything else about the trip was wonderful.

5 cars ahead of us at the border and 15 minutes later we were back in the US. Mission complete.

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
So sorry to hear about her ring. I lost one of my glasses lenses to the waves a few weeks ago. They reminded me of when I grew up of waves in Huntington Beach, California but no curl. When it's that windy/wavy, I'm staying on shore- I'm not messing with the gods anymore.

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
So sorry to hear about her ring. I lost one of my glasses lenses to the waves a few weeks ago. They reminded me of when I grew up of waves in Huntington Beach, California but no curl. When it's that windy/wavy, I'm staying on shore- I'm not messing with the gods anymore.
Thats about it in a nut shell. You will have to check the video I will be posting in fishing and see what those waves were doing. I feel like someone has beaten me with a medicine ball. Lol.
My wife is taking it well, considering it was lost in an almost mystical way.
Another piece of Treasure in the Sea of Cortez.

tequilatodd

Well Known Member
maybe a little mushy here....but make her a new ring and then do a renew of your vows on the beach right where her original ring was taken by the sea. The circle is complete.

Estero

Well Known Member
Too late for you now but on a side note I had a cubic zirconia replica ring made for my ex that matched her real one. She wore the replica whenever we were traveling in Mexico and or fishing and diving. That way if it was lost or we had to fork it over to some dirtbag it was no big deal.

mis2810

Well Known Member
Too late for you now but on a side note I had a cubic zirconia replica ring made for my ex that matched her real one. She wore the replica whenever we were traveling in Mexico and or fishing and diving. That way if it was lost or we had to fork it over to some dirtbag it was no big deal.
That's what I do. I never wear my real one to Mexico. I have a fake engagement ring and wedding band I use when we go valued at a whopping $25.00.

Hillbeartoe

Well Known Member
Yeah I should have known better.

Her center stone and my stone are cut from the same rough. Blood red Rhodolite Garnet from India. With white Sapphire surround. Unfortunately I don't work in the Dental field and do not have all the tools I need to make jewelery anymore. Another one of my hobbies...

She wants another red stone ring, not big on clear stones. But what ever it is we gonna start bringing a fire safe down and lockn' sheeit up. LOL.

I like the idea of a Vows ceremony at the spot though. Good call.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I would not hesitate to head to that spot with a decent metal detector when there is a low tide. Ya never know.

apricot

Well Known Member
That's what I do. I never wear my real one to Mexico. I have a fake engagement ring and wedding band I use when we go valued at a whopping $25.00.
That's a great idea! I think I'm going to do that. I never wear my ring to the pool or beach. We have a safe in our unit where I lock it up for that. But having a fake ring instead makes more sense. That way I don't need to worry about it when we go into town or out to eat.

mis2810

Well Known Member
That's a great idea! I think I'm going to do that. I never wear my ring to the pool or beach. We have a safe in our unit where I lock it up for that. But having a fake ring instead makes more sense. That way I don't need to worry about it when we go into town or out to eat.
Exactly. I've taken my rings off, but then I feel "naked" without them and get scared every time I realize I don't have them on and it freaks me out. Having the fake ones there saves me from the heart attack! My real ones are definitely a lot more sentimental than valued in $$$.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Exactly. I've taken my rings off, but then I feel "naked" without them and get scared every time I realize I don't have them on and it freaks me out. Having the fake ones there saves me from the heart attack! My real ones are definitely a lot more sentimental than valued in $$$.
Well you have to be careful you don't spill acid on them too !!

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
Wearing a fake ring in Mexico is not a bad idea. 2 years ago in Penasco we were having people over for dinner, and when I moved a chair outside, my ring caught on the sliding door. I didn't think anything of it until in the middle of dinner, I saw my diamond was gone. After searching for a while someone who had a few too much to drink found it inches away from the sand. I couldn't believe it!