AN OMEN

Old55

Old55 Sad Sad story, the picture in your article shows the beauty of the area..this is where they all hang out on Sunday's.. I dont think it was affected since its a hot spring that comes out of the side of a montain, just outside of Aconchi. Water comes out at 100 degrees celsius..
Nice ! Yep Canadian companies and Grupo are really bad at protecting the environment

That's so sad. I wanted to take my jeep down there.

I was inspired by a book by a guy from Britain in the 90s who wrote a book about going up and down the Baja coast on the opposite side. He hiked it and met tons of friendly faces along the way. *does anyone know that book? He wrote a second, involving a horse*

Also was obsessed with books I would find, both new (at the flag shop in Tucson on 1st & Ft Lowell) and old books I would find at Bookmans about Ejidos along each coast.

It made me explore ways to condense my music into these crazy mp3 players. My 1st one had a hard drive that you could take with you in yor hand and cost like $1200.
Author is Graham Mackintosh. He has several books about baja and has a fb page.

Any more input on the current grasshopper issue in Yuma, PHX, TUC, PP or anywhere in between?

Anyone recall the seventh of the ten plagues upon Egypt (Exocus 10:4-5)?

The locusts (actually grasshoppers) devoured everything to include the trees................if you still believe in fairy tales.

Well there is a quite large short-horned grasshopper known as the the Giant Gray Birdwing Grasshopper: Schistocerca nitens, that occurs as a fairly common resident at times throughout our deserts. They live in the open desert and in towns, you can't mistake the large nymphs as they are bright green and feed on your garden plants. When they do their final moult to adulthood the males are around two inches long and the females get up to four inches long, They are strong long distance fliers and with the help of favorable winds can travel many miles especially at night.

They have been ending up in my pool almost daily for more than a month, crash into my brightly lit hot tub every night and are out flying in the local desert every time we go out. I saw hundreds in the air between PP and Yuma last month, hundreds more out in the desert on our Pronghorn search last month.

When their numbers begin to increase as they have been they become "An Omen" of things to come, as in a "Biblical Plague". Their close relative Schistocerca gregaria is the critter quoted in the Bible as the plague locust. Our local version has not been responsible for any recent destruction but has done it in the past.

JJ

corndog

Any more input on the current grasshopper issue in Yuma, PHX, TUC, PP or anywhere in between?

Anyone recall the seventh of the ten plagues upon Egypt (Exocus 10:4-5)?

The locusts (actually grasshoppers) devoured everything to include the trees................if you still believe in fairy tales.

Well there is a quite large short-horned grasshopper known as the the Giant Gray Birdwing Grasshopper: Schistocerca nitens, that occurs as a fairly common resident at times throughout our deserts. They live in the open desert and in towns, you can't mistake the large nymphs as they are bright green and feed on your garden plants. When they do their final moult to adulthood the males are around two inches long and the females get up to four inches long, They are strong long distance fliers and with the help of favorable winds can travel many miles especially at night.

They have been ending up in my pool almost daily for more than a month, crash into my brightly lit hot tub every night and are out flying in the local desert every time we go out. I saw hundreds in the air between PP and Yuma last month, hundreds more out in the desert on our Pronghorn search last month.

When their numbers begin to increase as they have been they become "An Omen" of things to come, as in a "Biblical Plague". Their close relative Schistocerca gregaria is the critter quoted in the Bible as the plague locust. Our local version has not been responsible for any recent destruction but has done it in the past.

JJ
JJ, you always write an interesting story. Thank you... Did you come across any Pronghorn's? We had a chance to see some Pronghorn's a couple years ago outside of Guererro Negro Baja Sur.. The population of Pronghons there is recuperating slowly..

Last edited:
JJ, you always write an interesting story. Thank you... Did you come across any Pronghorn's? We had a chance to see some Pronghorn's a couple years ago outside of Guererro Negro Baja Sur.. The population of Pronghons there is recuperating slowly..

Yes Corn,

Last spring we located a herd of around twelve does most with kids out east of the Mayan Palace. The last two trips we made in July and August we didn't see a trace of them.

JJ