Animal Certificates of Health at Border

Roberto

Jim; Pretty much what I thought. Recalling the years back nightime drive from Durango to Matzatlan on the old highway. Ran out of gas !! The old road was perfect for a sports car but I was driving a crappy rental out of Torreon.

I have mine in PowerPoint and revise it as required. The one my vet put out was confusing to them so I just made it easier.
I also modified it to reflect it was also a Certificate of Health I always ask if she is Ok but if I want a certificate he charges more.

I forgot to say but we get checked almost every time. I keep a copy ready and I also made a mug shot page to attach and the guards love it
I don't know it they still take pics but they used to and this is faster.

JimMcG

It is probably just as well, given the areas and groups that would pose a threat to your safety on the Mexican roads today. I am not too sure that I would travel Mexico roads, by day and night like I used to do, with children even. I feel that I have used up eight of my nine lives and need to make the current one last as long as I can. The farther you are away from the border, the harder it would be to make a run for it, if need be.
http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2015/12/sinaloa-vehicle-vin-match-in-missing.html

Due to the charge our vet charges for a health certificate I copied his form in to powerpoint and revised it to show it as a vaccination and health report. I just added a revised title line. I also revised how the vaccination due dates show better. When we get to the border our dog looks for the border dogs so w also get the red light every time I made up a packet to hand the fellow that wants to check everything. I just roll down the window and hand him or her a certificate and a set of mug shots pics of the dog. They do a quick look and we are on our way

marybna

I carry all my dog's papers every time and no one has every asked for them, even when we were stopped at immigration for a 1/2 hr. But I am not going to forget them. It is too far back to Green Valley.

I carry all my dog's papers every time and no one has every asked for them, even when we were stopped at immigration for a 1/2 hr. But I am not going to forget them. It is too far back to Green Valley.
You have been fortunate. But “carrying your dog’s papers” is not so much the issue as what those papers now need to be. A simple annual rabies vaccination certificate, along with a cursory visual inspection by border officials used to suffice. Lately, it seems – according to reports – visitors are required to additionally have a “certificate of health” for their pets as well. Problem is, a certificate of health is good for 30 (?) days. And each one is expensive and requires a visit to the vet. So those who visit Rocky Point, say, once a month apparently are no longer encouraged to do so.

marybna

We have friends that go to Mazatlan a couple of times a year. They decided to see friends in Penasco and come back thru Lukeville. They have a Maine Coon cat that weighs about 50 Lbs. They usually come thur Nogales. But this time Lukeville. Anyway I guess he is tired of waiting in line and gets on the back of the seat. Border patrol thought he was a wild cat. They pulled them over and looked at all his paper and pictures and then called someone. They sent pictures to someone. The pulled them over and took him into immigration were he got in one of their laps and fell asleep. 50 lb cat instantly got admitted.

Landshark

I'm surprised they had the nerve to mess with a "50lb wild cat." Good way to get yourself torn up real good. The boss must have been watching! Nice story, thanks for sharing.

I'm surprised they had the nerve to mess with a "50lb wild cat." Good way to get yourself torn up real good. The boss must have been watching! Nice story, thanks for sharing.
Yeah, but I’m thinking that even a Maine Coon – at 50 pounds – would be morbidly obese, and therefore not very mobile (intimidating). It probably had more to do with figuring out what it was.

Andrea

They are asking for the rabies vaccination & a certificate of health no older than 6 months from a vet.
If they are allowing it to be up to 6 months that wouldn't be too bad, but as someone else mentioned, 30 days is just crazy! We will be going back and forth all the time, so how could I possibly get one every 30 days!

If they are allowing it to be up to 6 months that wouldn't be too bad, but as someone else mentioned, 30 days is just crazy! We will be going back and forth all the time, so how could I possibly get one every 30 days!
You're referring to some older posts. Sometimes rules at the border seem to change with the wind. A couple weeks ago, I handed over a certificate of health dated May 3. No problem. So I'm just going with the every-six-months plan until I hear differently.

Andrea

You're referring to some older posts. Sometimes rules at the border seem to change with the wind. A couple weeks ago, I handed over a certificate of health dated May 3. No problem. So I'm just going with the every-six-months plan until I hear differently.
Just got back from the vet with both dogs. What a stressful experience this was. I brought them the form #7001 and thought that maybe they could fill it out and leave the part blank where it says certified USDA veterinarian signature and they said NO! Then I was told they don't do any health certificates. Then I had the actual vet come in (instead of just the tech) and he said that could fill out the interstate one for me. It's called "Official Small Animal Health Certificate" and at the top it reads, "State Veterinarian, State of Arizona, 1688 West Adams Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85007. Basically it has an issue date but no expiration date. It just contains the vaccine information for both dogs on one sheet. The cost for this was $49 exam fee for each dog, $37.50 for health certificate which was good for both dogs. So $135 every 30 days! The shots are all good for 3 years now so no worry about that, but I am going to try to get by with the shot records and this certificate I have and hope I don't get turned back. I'll let you know what happens. BTW, my vet told me he tried calling Mexican customs himself and could not get a straight answer on the matter.

Just got back from the vet with both dogs. What a stressful experience this was. I brought them the form #7001 and thought that maybe they could fill it out and leave the part blank where it says certified USDA veterinarian signature and they said NO! Then I was told they don't do any health certificates. Then I had the actual vet come in (instead of just the tech) and he said that could fill out the interstate one for me. It's called "Official Small Animal Health Certificate" and at the top it reads, "State Veterinarian, State of Arizona, 1688 West Adams Street, Phoenix, Arizona 85007. Basically it has an issue date but no expiration date. It just contains the vaccine information for both dogs on one sheet. The cost for this was $49 exam fee for each dog, $37.50 for health certificate which was good for both dogs. So $135 every 30 days! The shots are all good for 3 years now so no worry about that, but I am going to try to get by with the shot records and this certificate I have and hope I don't get turned back. I'll let you know what happens. BTW, my vet told me he tried calling Mexican customs himself and could not get a straight answer on the matter.
By "certificate of health" I was referring to the "Official Small Animal Health Certificate" as the one I used at the border. Did not present Form 7001 to my vet. I simply -- based on what I've heard from others -- have been renewing the Small Animal Health Certificate every 6 months. Since the one I presented at the border in mid-July had been issued in early May, I'm guessing that the certificates do not need to be issued every 30 days. Again, I'm going with "every 6 months" until I learn otherwise.

JimMcG

We were asked for the dog's vaccination record last week when crossing back into the US at the Nogales Mariposa POE.

We were asked for the dog's vaccination record last week when crossing back into the US at the Nogales Mariposa POE.
I have never been asked for my pets vaccine records coming back into the USA (20+ years)
When we brought home our mangy Mexican stray puppy a few years ago, we were asked how the dog and our house cat, also in the car, got along.
We just laughed and said fine.
BTW, That stray puppy we brought home turned into a 75lb beast and was the best dog anyone could ever ask for.

JimMcG

I have never been asked for my pets vaccine records coming back into the USA (20+ years)
When we brought home our mangy Mexican stray puppy a few years ago, we were asked how the dog and our house cat, also in the car, got along.
We just laughed and said fine.
BTW, That stray puppy we brought home turned into a 75lb beast and was the best dog anyone could ever ask for.
Our undocumented puppy lived to be 16 years old after being the most loyal pet and protector we have ever had.

Never going back to USA but many times going south our dogs have had more pictures taken than they can fit in their file cabinet or where ever they put them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

playaperro

El Pirata
If you have a residence in mexico and have electric bill and tell them you live in mexico they'll let you just drive thru.