Any changes at the border?

Kea

Well Known Member
Now that people are starting to travel again —
Are there any reports of changes at the border? Either heading south or heading north?

Thanks

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
I headed north through Lukeville a couple days ago. CPB seemed on edge. I suppose Trump’s pending arrival way over in Yuma might have accounted for it. I got a lot more than the normal number of questions since getting Mexican residency. Agent looked at my record of crossings (two or three since January). I got the impression that if I was going back into the US every couple of weeks that could be a problem. I was reminded that the border was “closed“ to tourism and to limit my crossings to essential travel. I then had to drive through the new X-ray machine which they didn’t seem too comfortable with. Also got the on-edge vibe at the immigration checkpoint between Ajo and Gila Bend. Cops in Sonoyta we’re up to their usual with three speed traps — one a very obvious unmarked. The trap at the south end already had someone with AZ plates, but they were standing there with masks on and a radar gun in case I offered a two-fer.

Seahorse

Entering Mexico they are stopping everyone. Passports, car registration and pet papers. Strip searching every car. Must have mask on at entry and and while driving thru Sonoyta. Turned away 2 cars in front of us for no passport. Mexico is cracking down on who enters. Returning to the US you now have to go thru the X-Ray machine located in secondary then stop. After they review the car scan you can go.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I completely forgot about this new X-Ray machine!!! Our last trip down was March 1 and going North we had to go through it. I think they had just installed it because it appeared they were "testing" it that day. I remarked to my girlfriend that this new X-Ray machine is going to be a HASSLE during a busy travel period to Penasco. The results aren't immediate so you have to sit there until the agent reviews the image and gives the OK. Not like the X-Ray you put your bags through at the airport. I would assume this adds about 1 to 2 minutes to the overall border wait per vehicle. Just another inconvenience as you go N. Soon the Northbound 3.75 - 4 hour trip will be 5. I guess my question is, how did the border patrol do their job for the last 20 years with no x-ray? Why all of a sudden? And only 1????? So basically 4 border inspection lanes go down into ONE x-ray inspection.... DEFINITION of BOTTLE NECK????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Entering Mexico they are stopping everyone. Passports, car registration and pet papers. Strip searching every car. Must have mask on at entry and and while driving thru Sonoyta. Turned away 2 cars in front of us for no passport. Mexico is cracking down on who enters. Returning to the US you now have to go thru the X-Ray machine located in secondary then stop. After they review the car scan you can go.
Passports aren't required for the free trade zone I thought????? Car registration is so they can match your VIN # which is all they look at and pet papers is the current normal.

Hobie Vern

Well Known Member
They have had an X-ray machine for a long time. I know this for a fact because we all, about 7 of us, had to get out of my father's motor home while they X-rayed it. Maybe 2004??

Kea

Well Known Member
Thanks. We're in our motor home. Hope it fits through the X-ray machine. I guess we just need to allow extra time at the border.

I *think* the free zone only means you aren't required to get a vehicle permit when entering this part of Mexico. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
I guess my question is, how did the border patrol do their job for the last 20 years with no x-ray? Why all of a sudden? And only 1?????
The best they could but lots and lots of illegal substances got thru. Progress is what you are seeing. Feel free to donate some of your SSI check so they can buy another one. You won't because you are all whiner.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Thanks. We're in our motor home. Hope it fits through the X-ray machine. I guess we just need to allow extra time at the border.

I *think* the free zone only means you aren't required to get a vehicle permit when entering this part of Mexico. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
I could have sworn it was in regards to unrestricted travel. Once you leave free trade you need travel visa. My friend and his dad have been bass fishing in Obregon and in the early to mid nineties even into Sinaloa. To my understanding before you leave Nogi or at some point before Hermosillo you need to establish paperwork for the truck/trailer/boat and travel visas because you're traveling out of the free trade zone. I've never been asked for a passport to ENTER Mexico. I've been asked for my AZ drivers license so they can match my name to the name on my vehicle registration. This pertains to stolen vehicles going S for unsolicited use.

I don't know this for a fact. I should state that. This is my understanding and would like to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
The best they could but lots and lots of illegal substances got thru. Progress is what you are seeing. Feel free to donate some of your SSI check so they can buy another one. You won't because you are all whiner.
a whiner or all whiner?

Why would I do that? The war on drugs was a failure 20 years ago... now it's just a joke.

Hobie Vern

Well Known Member
Okay back to the border! We came across about 4:30 Thursday afternoon, very few cars. We got pulled over and got a very friendly agent. Looked in the back of the truck, asked a few questions and sent us on our way. No strip search of the vehicle, no passports and no dog papers, we had 2 in the truck! National guard already had someone pulled over so we were able to bypass them! Sonoyta was pretty dead. South end of town cop was standing in the middle of the road with his radar gun, thought it was someone asking for money? He waved us through. Got to the sanitation station about 5:30. Things seemed a little disorganized. Walked through the spray booth, got a shot of sanitizer on our hands, took our temperature and on our way! No big deal!!

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
I could have sworn it was in regards to unrestricted travel. Once you leave free trade you need travel visa. My friend and his dad have been bass fishing in Obregon and in the early to mid nineties even into Sinaloa. To my understanding before you leave Nogi or at some point before Hermosillo you need to establish paperwork for the truck/trailer/boat and travel visas because you're traveling out of the free trade zone. I've never been asked for a passport to ENTER Mexico. I've been asked for my AZ drivers license so they can match my name to the name on my vehicle registration. This pertains to stolen vehicles going S for unsolicited use.

I don't know this for a fact. I should state that. This is my understanding and would like to be corrected if I'm wrong.
free-zone.jpg

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
The green zone is where you can bring in a US-registered vehicle without the need to get additional paperwork. Once you get south of Guaymas/Empalme you must get an additional vehicle permit. The is a place in Empalme you can get an "Only Sonora" permit which allows you to go to Obregon & Navojoa. If you are going further south outside Sonora there is a different permit you need (in Nogales you get that one at the "kilometer 21" south of the city.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I have not inquired there but there is a sign on the Fremont side of CIty Hall announcing it is possible to purchase car permits there. Banercito

Hobie Vern

Well Known Member
The X-ray machine they are using now is a new one. We went through the big clunky one on the South side. We went through the new one today. They told me to travel through it at 5 to 7 mph and stop on the other side. It wasn't more than 15' in front of me!! Don't know how they expect you to do that?? I must have did okay he went over to the van and came back and waved me on, easy peasy. No "Essential travel" lecture or anything. The car in front of us got their oranges taken away at the first stop and then got the third degree at the X-ray machine. Had to open their doors, trunk. The officer made the dog jump into the trunk!! They didn't even bring the dog around our vehicle.

Kea

Well Known Member
The X-ray machine they are using now is a new one. We went through the big clunky one on the South side. We went through the new one today. They told me to travel through it at 5 to 7 mph and stop on the other side. It wasn't more than 15' in front of me!! Don't know how they expect you to do that?? I must have did okay he went over to the van and came back and waved me on, easy peasy. No "Essential travel" lecture or anything. The car in front of us got their oranges taken away at the first stop and then got the third degree at the X-ray machine. Had to open their doors, trunk. The officer made the dog jump into the trunk!! They didn't even bring the dog around our vehicle.
Thanks for the update. I'm assuming the new machine is big enough for a motorhome.

Hobie Vern

Well Known Member
It only goes up about 6 feet on each side but there is no height limitation. You go through it after you leave the booth, over where secondary inspections take place. Good luck with the 5 to 7 mph in a motorhome!!!