Anyone building anything new?

I guess it depends how high you want to pour. With Foxblocks we pour 4' per hour using a 6" slump. We still have had blowouts were there was no T&G.

That product looks interesting, if I was building new I would look into it. My houses were built 20 years ago using block and stucco.
I did have them add some Styrofoam pellets, but don't know how well they filled the walls when it was done.

When we retire and start spending 4-6 months a year in Cholla, I will probably put 2" foam on the outside of my place and re-stucco. Not that expensive.
Already have dual pane windows and R-23 ceiling insulation and R-6 foam on the roof.
Should help keep the CFE bills under control.

jerry

That product looks interesting, if I was building new I would look into it. My houses were built 20 years ago using block and stucco.
I did have them add some Styrofoam pellets, but don't know how well they filled the walls when it was done.

When we retire and start spending 4-6 months a year in Cholla, I will probably put 2" foam on the outside of my place and re-stucco. Not that expensive.
Already have dual pane windows and R-23 ceiling insulation and R-6 foam on the roof.
Should help keep the CFE bills under control.
Say you can pay CFE with Xoom from the state if it is not passed due date

The big problem is that you can easily insulate floors, walls and roofs but your windows will be a weak spot for energy transference as compared to your walls.

Roberto

The big problem is that you can easily insulate floors, walls and roofs but your windows will be a weak spot for energy transference as compared to your walls.
Windows properly sited can be a net gain of heat for sure. Passive solar is one of the most neglected energy savers ever.

Roberto

It gets cold enough to require heat in a house here. Everyone wants it but no one should be paying for hot water either.

I have done the solar hot water but unless you use the hot water during the day, you still are bring cold water into your water heater and have to heat it. I prefer a tankless water heater.

jerry

Tankless heaters even the good jap ones need regular maintenance for long lives in places with for shit water

Roberto

It might be defective, but a newly installed gas water heater at my casita heats enough with just the pilot light to have one shower in the morning !! Not a real hot one but comfortable.

jerry

Thats good to know. Does it matter if the water is filtered or is it the minerals in the water?
Mineral build up...you follow the maintenance schedule and ok but things have problems when they set...On my Rinnea I had a wasp nest form in the fan ..the hard mud stopped everything......on another related matter people with houses at the seven year mark are seeing a lot plumbing under sink valve failures....mexican junk parts.....

I bring all my plumbing supplies from the states. In fact I bring almost all my building supplies from the states except concrete. Who knew sch 40 ABS is different in Mexico, much thinner.

Any system with water requires maintenance due to the minerals in the water, aging of the parts........I once read about a solar hot water system that trickled hot water it made all day over a large tank of river rock which served as a "hot water battery" for night or when the sun was not shining.
There are solar hot water evacuated tube systems that can generate extremely hot water that drives steam turbines to make electricity. With 300 degree water it seems that you could store it and use it as it cooled through the night.

http://www.solarpanelsplus.com/evacuated-tube-collectors/

Roberto

Yes on those water shut off valves that are the cheap zink alloy. The water dissolves them over a time. Get a solid brass one. Used to accuse the maids of knocking them off when cleaning till we examined some carefully. Nothing like going into a flooded house when no one has been there. Summers the mold takes over fast.

Mineral build up...you follow the maintenance schedule and ok but things have problems when they set...On my Rinnea I had a wasp nest form in the fan ..the hard mud stopped everything......on another related matter people with houses at the seven year mark are seeing a lot plumbing under sink valve failures....mexican junk parts.....
You mean there not made in China ???

joester

2 salty dawgs
Jerry,
I wonder when Doug and his partners will open up an RV park? There's cash money to be made if he can provide water, sewer + electric.
Las Dunas is B E A U tiful!
It's just not a place for our RV yet, and that's our rolling vacation home.

jerry

Any system with water requires maintenance due to the minerals in the water, aging of the parts........I once read about a solar hot water system that trickled hot water it made all day over a large tank of river rock which served as a "hot water battery" for night or when the sun was not shining.
There are solar hot water evacuated tube systems that can generate extremely hot water that drives steam turbines to make electricity. With 300 degree water it seems that you could store it and use it as it cooled through the night.

http://www.solarpanelsplus.com/evacuated-tube-collectors/
http://store.mwands.com/dc-water-heater-elements/. With this dc element and thermostat wired as a replacement in a water heater hooked up to a 200 watt solar panel you have hot water in daytime