Anyone crossed at San Luis and taken Coastal highway down lately?

gail

We'll be driving down from the Palm Springs area the end of September to pay Federal Zone taxes for the Cholla place. We missed our due date when we couldn't cross the border during the lock-down earlier in the year, now we gotta get it paid. I've seen several trip reports from Lukeville but none when going down via San Luis. I'm wondering what awaits us going down the coastal highway route. We've always had a military check point going north and an agricultural product check point going south just before El Golfo but really nothing else. Anyone taken that route recently? We'll probably take Hwy 40 then Hwy 3 from El Golfo. Generally we bypass the toll road but maybe there's less hassle on that part of the trip this year???.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Hi Gail,
This is your neighbor Bob, I took that route a couple of years ago, pretty easy drive. I went thru SL and took the toll road 100 peso's?
(have some pesos with you)
Drove to the check point by El Doctor, took them 2 minutes for them to look in my car, Off I went.

About 1/2 way between El Golfo and Penasco at km 55-70? there is usually lot's of drifting sand on the road some of it is 6"+ deep
and has caused some bad accidents, I've read there are some pot holes on the road now. Just pay attention, drive during the day and it's
an easy trip.
It's a nice change of scenery, you'll like the large hill coming down towards El Golfo nice view from there.
We'll be there Sept 18-23rd.

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
I go that way commonly — most recently August 3. The toll is 110 pesos. I’ve never had a problem after maybe 10 trips that way. They have been fixing some of the potholes but there were still a couple really bad ones. There is a bad curve at the site of a multicolored house where the chamber of the road is all wrong, and I’m sure inattentive drivers have gone airborne. The sand drifts are deceptive. I saw the aftermath of a mustang hitting one at excessive speed. No one was hurt, but the car spun out and ended up deep in sand. All in all my preferred route going down. I’ve spent 2 hrs lined up heading north, and I tend to prefer Lukeville for that segment.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Here is a post from another thread about the Coastal Highway. From De Frente Facebook. So potholes are still a problem from KM 50-75.
Take your time, pay attention and do the trip during the day, You'll be fine.

Be extra cautious...De Frente Facebook

Poor state of the Puerto Peñasco road - El Golfo causes accidents and damage to vehicles

* Huge potholes put travelers' lives at risk

By: Héctor Aldrete Germán

The poor condition of a section of the Puerto Peñasco - El Golfo de Santa Clara highway wreaked havoc on motorists who drove through it this weekend, causing damage to their vehicles, such as "blown" tires, damaged axles, among other damage. endangering the lives of travelers.
Just yesterday Sunday, at least a score of vehicles suffered various damages due to the large potholes that have formed in the asphalt tape of this road, being stranded in an area that also does not have a telephone signal, and added to the high temperatures, worsened their situation by seeking some help.
It is at the height of kilometer 50 towards the Gulf of Santa Clara where the high risk areas begin to appear before the huge “craters” that have been formed over time and that receive little attention from the Junta State Roads, responsible for maintaining the roads.

This weekend the "Labor Day" holiday period was celebrated in the United States, so thousands of people traveled along this highway from various parts of the neighboring country, as well as travelers of Mexican origin who also took advantage of the weekend. week to visit this tourist destination.

gail

Great, thanks everyone. I take it no one has had to stop on this route for any kind of Virus check, car misting, or Residency check (we will be bringing our property info, including utility bills paid etc and the HOA's notarized residence letter). We'll be going straight on Hwy 3 by Sandy Beach property towards the condos and on to Cholla. Looking forward to that warm water and hoping the temperature and humidy are lower by then.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Gail,
the sanitizing tent and check point was removed today. It will be like normal again except for wearing masks and social distancing

Queen of Kings

Well Known Member
The 'social distancing' part doesn't really apply. People space themselves however they feel. Especially when lubricated with a generous amount of alcohol.