Anyone heard of "naturalizing" your vehicle?

Roberto

Talk to one of the businesses right at the border crossing on the Mexican side. They will import you car. The rules about importation have been changing but I think the 10 year or older requirement for a National car still holds. You can import in two ways, a National car which can go unrestricted anywhere in the country or a Fronteria car which can be driven anywhere in the free zone unrestricted and anywhere in Mexico, after obtaining a special permit for each trip, for a predetermined number of days a year. There were different vehicle age requirements, I think 5 for Fronteria and 10 for National, but the NAFTA agreement specifies changes to the age of the cars so I'm not sure where that is at right now. Last I checked it would cost about $800 to import my titan pickup, cost is determined by values, I think. You won't have to pay for continuous US insurance and can buy day trip insurance for the US travel.

jerry

On 1-10 I always see a mexican guy in a 10 year old toyota pickupwith Cali plates pulling another 10 year old Toyota pickup toward Douglas...something must work out going that route.

mel150

Thanks, all. Last time I went to the border and asked about importing my ten year old rust bucket, they said it would cost me $3000 US!

Roberto

There may be a penalty for older cars !!?! Part of the NAFTA agreement was to stop the junkers from coming to Mexico. I think I read that within 10 years there will be no restrictions on age of vehicle for importation.

Jerry, Douglas is a well know hot bed of 19 year old Toyotas!! I think they breed them there.

S

Submarine

On 1-10 I always see a mexican guy in a 10 year old toyota pickupwith Cali plates pulling another 10 year old Toyota pickup toward Douglas...something must work out going that route.
otherwise known as a Mexican Mayflower! I see those all the time too. They come from L.A., drive 55, look straight ahead, park in Tonopah for a few hours before crossing farther south and the driver is never sleeping in the truck. Where he goes, no one knows!
Sometimes the truck in tow is full of parts too, but I bet there is drug money hidden somewhere in the vehicles.

jerry

I hate them,headed up to the last remaining rest stop between Tucson and New mexico (That Governor Brewer must never have to pee) they go up the incline at 40mph.In the dark it is scary.

jerry

Another death from the "Toyota truck pulling another truck headed for Mexico" nightmare near my house...."
Francisco De La Cruz was traveling eastbound in a Ford pickup truck at approximately mile post 354.5 near Bowie at 7:25 a.m. when a Toyota pickup that was being towed had a tire fail, causing the driver of the towing vehicle to swerve to the left.

The towing vehicle, which was also a Toyota pickup, then struck the Ford, which was attempting to pass it, said Officer Quentin Mehr of the Arizona Department of Public Safety.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Just to add to this conversation..
I was pulled over by USA agents southbound the other day and they told me that even though I had imported my van into Mexico it had not been exported from the USA. The threatened to seize my van and fine me 5000.00 dollars. If you do import your car make sure you also export it from the USA they (the USA ) told me they are going to crack down on people who live in Mexico that are US citizens but driving US plated cars. In order to do this they are profiling to check on paperwork making sure it is in order. I got off easy but he said he didnt have to play nice.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Any tips on the exportation process? Another nice worthless government intrusion.
They were total butts but it takes about 15 seconds and 10.75 to export your car from the USA they say it is for record keeping purposes only.....

Roberto

They were total butts but it takes about 15 seconds and 10.75 to export your car from the USA they say it is for record keeping purposes only.....
Do you have details on how it's done, who to contact, etc?? I have a memory that I certified that my vehicle was used only out of the country the last registration. AZ permits that so you don't have to carry US insurance, probably passed mostly for ranch vehicles but was told it was OK for me.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
For the importation side into Mexico I hired a broker who signed my Az Title into his name so he had power of attorney. He then did all the paperwork to import into Mexico a lien free USA car. What he didnt do was take the Arizona Title to the Border patrol office and have it stamped EXPORTED TO MEXICO. Not sure how many cars are out there not exported but the BP told me they can take them away for Export Violation if they want