Anyone witness the banana pangas incident?

Senor Pescado

Well Known Member
No signs of anything Monday morning. Plus nothing on news. Would have thought a story like that would be front page.

audsley

Well Known Member
Panga crashes and armed convoys occupying Sonoyta - could this be a thread hijack? I'm certainly not complaining about this story being posted because it definitely needed to be, and I'm grateful to Playaperro for posting it, but doesn't it deserve its own thread? Some Rocky Point regulars who aren't interested in a panga crash might want to know what's happening along their standard route to Rocky Point.

playaperro

El Pirata
Panga crashes and armed convoys occupying Sonoyta - could this be a thread hijack? I'm certainly not complaining about this story being posted because it definitely needed to be, and I'm grateful to Playaperro for posting it, but doesn't it deserve its own thread? Some Rocky Point regulars who aren't interested in a panga crash might want to know what's happening along their standard route to Rocky Point.
You knew about this Audsley, you could of started your own thread and put it out as another warning, why did you chose not too? Don't blame me with a hijack. I'm still reeling over the Las Conchas burglary ring I posted and someone had the real facts.

audsley

Well Known Member
Actually, I did not know about it. I probably would have missed Tim's blog if you had not posted the link here.

ben21

Well Known Member
Interesting. We were down this weekend and had to get up and leave early Monday morning. Passed through Sonoyta around 9:30am and everything seemed normal. Didn't even see any military which is odd if there was this armed convoy of 20 vehicles seizing the city 12 hours earlier?

Ed B

Small Potatoes
We drove through the wash in Sonoyta between 1130 and 1200 on Tuesday and there were armed military down in the crossing jamming up the traffic, not really sure what their purpose was.

rockyptjoe

Well Known Member
The way the banana boat operators run around, I'm surprised that there are not more accidents out there!

Peñasc0

The way the banana boat operators run around, I'm surprised that there are not more accidents out there!
We were ONCE dumb enough to go on a "cruise" on one of them. At the time our kids were 4, 5 and 8. When the guy came up to us we told him, "No!" because of the kids. He said it would just be a leisurely ride, nothing crazy. Finally after a price we couldn't refuse, we agreed. HUGE mistake!
The guy took us on a wild ride, as if we were spring breakers. We were scared to death as we hanged on for dear life. Our screams did nothing to stop him. My nephew held on to our oldest, my husband to the middle and I held on to my youngest in the middle of the banana. One of the guys in our group ended up falling off. Learned our lesson, and never again.

mondone

Whitecaps
Interesting. We were down this weekend and had to get up and leave early Monday morning. Passed through Sonoyta around 9:30am and everything seemed normal. Didn't even see any military which is odd if there was this armed convoy of 20 vehicles seizing the city 12 hours earlier?
We also went through Sonoyta about 9:45AM and nothing seemed unusual at all. Just a 10 minute backup wait at the border and that was it.