Architects

beachbums

hola

Looking for a referral for a Architect. Any recommendations on who to use and who to avoid, would be greatly appreciated. Also any idea on what the normal fee's are for a simple 1500 sq ft design?

Muchas gracias

dreaming of becoming a perpetual beachbum:cool:

jerry

I would be tempted to do a lot of the leg work yourself.Efficientcy wil become more and more important as the cost of electric goes up.Study green building sources,Dwell etc. and spec.
Hign quality components such as high Seer mini splits.better water heaters,led lights

beachbums

I would be tempted to do a lot of the leg work yourself.Efficientcy wil become more and more important as the cost of electric goes up.Study green building sources,Dwell etc. and spec.
Hign quality components such as high Seer mini splits.better water heaters,led lights
Thank you for the tips, Jerry

Landshark

Buying a lot & designing & building a beach home in Mexico sounds romantic at first. Once you really do your homework you realize it's not what it seems. Risk, cost overruns, hassle factor, etc is off the chart. Plan on getting screwed every time you turn around. Do yourself a favor and buy a finished home with a good title. You could always do some remodeling to satisfy your urge to be creative.

Roberto

Buying a lot & designing & building a beach home in Mexico sounds romantic at first. Once you really do your homework you realize it's not what it seems. Risk, cost overruns, hassle factor, etc is off the chart. Plan on getting screwed every time you turn around. Do yourself a favor and buy a finished home with a good title. You could always do some remodeling to satisfy your urge to be creative.
I agree with this completely. You cannot begin to imagine the problems you will almost certainly have. It's no joke. Home prices are low and the smart thing to do is as Landshark advises, buy a finished home.

Should you decide to build here's some advice:
Plan on being here 24 hours a day, every day till the home is completed.
Order and pay direct for all supplies.
Be certain your contractor is paying Social Security on all workers.
Plan on construction taking 3 or 4 times longer than initially stated.
Plan on costs being much more than estimated.
Educate yourself about construction and supervise carefully yourself.

Here are a few things I have personally observed:
Contractor presenting an invoice marked paid and showing items purchased. Contractor returns stuff, gets lower quality stuff and pockets the difference.
"Electricians" making a long run of wire with spliced pieces and selling an unused roll of wire.
Installing used stuff and charging for new.
Reporting stuff as stolen that the contractor has kept.
Ordering a larger quantity than needed and keeping the excess for sale.
Contractor announcing he is going to Sinaloa to visit family for a few weeks and leaving town.
Contractor in collusion with supplier to fatten the bill.

Remember too there are no building codes enforced and no building inspectors.

And the list goes on............................

beachbums

Thanks for advise..Have you both built in PP? If so who did you use so that I can cross them off the list of contractors to check out:) Right now I am just looking for an Engineer or Architect to do some improvement to our lot. We may or may not be building in the future.
Happy friday

jerry

You can use some of Land Shark and Roberto's info in a letter to your HOA to make the point that in this market you are doing them a favor by even considering building.They need new dues paying blood and some HOA bylaws written in the boom years are just getting in the way at this point.

playaperro

El Pirata
Most plans and bids come computerized and stages when payment is going to be made, so they know how much materials are going to be used, yes the social security people come checking and of course they have permits and building inspectors.

Where is your lot?...Nobody likes Hoa's but who would want renegade living next door.

jerry

this HOA demands plans done by either an local registered Engineer or Architect, before any lot improvements can be done. This sort of stops you at square one .I see nothing wrong with getting power and water to the site.Even the garage or guesthouse being built first would be ok with stipulations.People change there minds so much in the first year of the design/build process it is a good thing to take time and think about it before you drive your contractor crazy with change orders.

Terry C

Home Owner Assoc. are not as bad as one would think here in Mexico. A few years ago we went looking around and we were several miles East of Playa Encanto. We looked at some lots and one had a cargo container on a beach front lot. That may of all changed by now with a HOA in place!

beachbums

Most plans and bids come computerized and stages when payment is going to be made, so they know how much materials are going to be used, yes the social security people come checking and of course they have permits and building inspectors.

Where is your lot?...Nobody likes Hoa's but who would want renegade living next door.
Our lot's in Playa Encanto.

Last edited:

beachbums

this HOA demands plans done by either an local registered Engineer or Architect, before any lot improvements can be done. This sort of stops you at square one .I see nothing wrong with getting power and water to the site.Even the garage or guesthouse being built first would be ok with stipulations.People change there minds so much in the first year of the design/build process it is a good thing to take time and think about it before you drive your contractor crazy with change orders.
You can use some of Land Shark and Roberto's info in a letter to your HOA to make the point that in this market you are doing them a favor by even considering building.They need new dues paying blood and some HOA bylaws written in the boom years are just getting in the way at this point.
So far we have no problems with the rules in our HOA. I would never think of building in the States or in Mexico with out making sure, that the land has been properly improved for building. It would a waste of money to built any house on our property, if it is not structurally stable for building.

beachbums

Home Owner Assoc. are not as bad as one would think here in Mexico. A few years ago we went looking around and we were several miles East of Playa Encanto. We looked at some lots and one had a cargo container on a beach front lot. That may of all changed by now with a HOA in place!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
........Nobody likes Hoa's but who would want renegade living next door.
I rather have a renegade next door, to party with, that some idiot with a complex of superiority as president of the HOA telling me what to do, HOA are the perfect place for people that have nothing better to do than to fack with the rights of other, mmmmmmmmm sounds like any government I know so far!!!!! and by the way HOA are illegal in Mexico!!!!! and that is a fact and if it is not it should be voted out!!!! and on top of all that you have to pay these moddafaccas on a monthly basis to screw with you!!!!

As an example all my clients live in an adult retirement community 55+, new HOA law does not allow any resident to have a rocking chair in the porch to enjoy our great spring weather, now the typical sight of an older person it has always been sitting in a rocking chair enjoying the day, but some idiot is trying to change that for us older folks!!!! IMHO

I guess I am that modafaka renegade you and your HOA would not want me as a resident!!!! but I drink Tecate!

Last edited:

jerry

I rather have a renegade next door, to party with, that some idiot with a complex of superiority as president of the HOA telling me what to do, HOA are the perfect place for people that have nothing better to do than to fack with the rights of other, mmmmmmmmm sounds like any government I know so far!!!!! and by the way HOA are illegal in Mexico!!!!! and that is a fact and if it is not it should be voted out!!!! and on top of all that you have to pay these moddafaccas on a monthly basis to screw with you!!!!

As an example all my clients live in an adult retirement community 55+, new HOA law does not allow any resident to have a rocking chair in the porch to enjoy our great spring weather, now the typical sight of an older person it has always been sitting in a rocking chair enjoying the day, but some idiot is trying to change that for us older folks!!!! IMHO

I guess I am that modafaka renegade you and your HOA would not want me as a resident!!!! but I drink Tecate!
Still you would rethink that when the nice Mormon family with 8 kids,8 2cycle atv's sans mufflers,3 old jet skis and a love of fireworks timed their vacation neatly with yours...

Thanks for advise..Have you both built in PP? If so who did you use so that I can cross them off the list of contractors to check out:) Right now I am just looking for an Engineer or Architect to do some improvement to our lot. We may or may not be building in the future.
Happy friday
Hi Beachbum, if you contact me directly I will give you the name and phone number of a quality contractor we used in RP. He built us a top floor condo in what was an empty large, really large storage area on the top floor of a condo building in Old Port. We were given a fair price, he sent us over 17 sets of photos and many emails during the construction.
Our lot's in Playa Encanto.
Hey Beachbum, we had an entire condo unit built on the top floor of condo structure in the Old Port. Major construction was done. The contractor also built a wonderful 3400 sq ft home in the lot next door.
Send me an email to [email protected] and I will send you his info and also some pictures of the work he did for us. He is a licensed contractor and has a great crew. He are totally happy with all the work he has done. He speaks English so no problem there.

Be aware of rusty rebar used in construction. Rusty rebar continues to rust and expand in concrete and walls. This causes major damage. Avoiding rusty rebar in a coastal area is difficult to say the least but worth the effort. I have been rebuilding concrete walks & decks, parapet walls and bond-beam locations at my house. It will be a never ending effort.

playaperro

El Pirata

Hoa are illegal in mexico, heard that before, If you want to buy in a noise control area you have to be accepted by the hoa, agree to terms or you could go live in nice private beach, like Santo Tomas, quiet, serene, beautiful....What barrio you at Ink? Oh by the way Obed is a great builder , would recommend....