Asian Tiger Shrimp Invade U.S. Waters

The Asians are taking over all the water ways in the US... back in my neck of the woods (Illinois) the Asian jumping carp have taken over the Illinois River...

mondone

Whitecaps
Would love to try cooking/eating one..... nearly 1 pound each.....Garlic lemon butter white wine ..... interesting.

that's like a lobster tail... the other day my buddy bought some shrimp from the packing plant on Sinoloa and they were called 8's meaning 8 to a pound... the guy at the sales counter said that there would also be some 6's in the box... we looked at these shrimp and they were huge I could imagine what a 1 pound shrimp looks like... at that size, if they could talk, they would probably say, "Who you calling Shrimp..?"

While on the subject of Killer Shrimp... I have seen Praying Mantis shrimp while diving out at Bird Island, but I never knew they were this vicious and strong... I've also wondered how they would taste dipped in drawn butter... they look like a lobster tail...

[video=youtube;i-ahuZEvWH8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ahuZEvWH8[/video]

Mantis Shrimp Destroys Clam - YouTube

Last edited:
Is there an actual shrimp packing plant in rocky point on a street called sinoloa or did you just miss type and mean from a packing plant from the state of Sinoloa?

Is there an actual shrimp packing plant in rocky point on a street called sinoloa or did you just miss type and mean from a packing plant from the state of Sinoloa?
There is a packing plant on a street named Sinaloa in Rocky Point... it is behind Castillos pemex station which is the first pemex gas station after the baseball stadium, as you're heading south on Sinaloa it would be on your left handside of the road... they sell the shrimp in different sizes like 8 to a pound, 10 to a pound etc.... and each block is 2 kilos or 4.4 pounds my friend got a block of #8's for $48. US...

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
While on the subject of Killer Shrimp... I have seen Praying Mantis shrimp while diving out at Bird Island, but I never knew they were this vicious and strong... I've also wondered how they would taste dipped in drawn butter... they look like a lobster tail...
Mantis shrimp do taste just like lobster. Delicious

But NEVER try to grab one while snorkelling or diving - nets are mandatory, and break off those club/claws with pliers before putting them in your net.

Their other common name is "thumbsplitter" for good reason. Watch Mark's video above to see why.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
The Asians are taking over all the water ways in the US... back in my neck of the woods (Illinois) the Asian jumping carp have taken over the Illinois River...

Yup, Asian shrimp in Florida, asian carp in the midwest, and asian snakeheads are taking over many eastern rivers as well.

DeniseAck

Dee-licious "colossal" shrimp!

I grabbed a flyer from the mercado and scanned it in below. They come frozen in a 2 kilo package. Evidently this is where the vendors who sell out of coolers at the malecon get them from.

That shrimp was absolutely awesome! We got U10's which means Under 10 per pound--aka "colossal". 2 kilo's were 550 pesos=125pesos per pound=$9.25USD per pound. About half the price you'd pay in the states for that size! Shell-on U10-12 Fresh Jumbo Cocktail Shrimp shipped - Fresh Black Tiger Shrimp / Uncooked: The Fresh Lobster Company LLC

PP shrimp.jpgPP shrimp map.jpgIMG_6814.jpgIMG_6816.jpg