ATM Transaction Fees

azdiva

Now Bank of America wants $5.00 transaction fee AND 3% Foreign transaction Fee for using ATM unless
Scotia Bank ATM. Now if you use Credit Card its a 2-3% Fee or ATM at Santander 3% plus ATM Fee.
Question? use cash pesos, convert dollars at major retailers(super ley or copal) or exchange. Personally i like to travel with minimal US Cash and use local atm but with new fees,it looks that i have to bring US$ Cash.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Now Bank of America wants $5.00 transaction fee AND 3% Foreign transaction Fee for using ATM unless
Scotia Bank ATM. Now if you use Credit Card its a 2-3% Fee or ATM at Santander 3% plus ATM Fee.
Question? use cash pesos, convert dollars at major retailers(super ley or copal) or exchange. Personally i like to travel with minimal US Cash and use local atm but with new fees,it looks that i have to bring US$ Cash.
At the current exchange rate the banks fees don't really matter. Bring dollars for your "gringo purchases" and use your debit for peso cash for your "Mexican purchases"

Here is an older thread regarding ATM withdrawals. There are alternative cards with no fees and that also reimburse any local ATM fees:

http://www.rockypointtalk.com/threads/foreign-transaction-bank-fees.9149/

As far as credit cards, there are many now that specifically mention that they do not charge international fees. For example, I have the Southwest Rapid Rewards card from Chase and there are ZERO international fees, so I use it wherever accepted in RP. For the rest I will take out some pesos with my Fidelity cards which is mentioned is the thread I link too. Hope this may help...

Capitol One Quicksilver card and a 360 checking account is great even in Mexico, always get the latest $$ to peso exchange rates and fees are Nada.
Also with 1.5% back.