Auto theft warning

Roberto

Well Known Member
There is a group of thieves stealing catalytic converters right off cars parked in driveways and on the street. Takes them just a few minutes. Guy slips completely under the vehicle so he can't be seen, and cuts the converter off. One was stolen off a vehicle parked within 15 feet of the owner's office door. This is no joke. Apparently they are being taken apart and some part is used in drug production. You will know it is gone if it starts with a roar !!

Idyllwild

Well Known Member
In Southern California theft of catalytic converters from Toyota Priuses has been a big problem. We are on our fourth Prius in 21 years. Our two generation 2 Priuses (from 04 and 07) made it to about 180,000 miles. The converter on our 06 failed at about 160,000 miles. We hid it for a year by registering it at our other house where smog checking was not required. That changed, and we traded it in as salvage when we bought a replacement vehicle. Replacing the converter would have cost $2,500, with most of the cost being the converter and associated sensors. The thefts are connected to unscrupulous repair shops that will pay a hundred bucks for a used converter, no questions asked. An expert chemist could probably recover the noble metals from a converter. There certainly are useful synthetic reactions in pharmaceutical chemistry using, for example, palladium reagents. But I think the simpler explanation is probably correct here; the victims can probably get their converters reinstalled somewhere in town for $500. These days you probably don’t need to be much of a chemist to be a minor drug lord. A few kilos of finished or nearly finished items from one of several hundred specialty chemical companies in China and you just need a distribution channel.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
There is a group of thieves stealing catalytic converters right off cars parked in driveways and on the street. Takes them just a few minutes. Guy slips completely under the vehicle so he can't be seen, and cuts the converter off. One was stolen off a vehicle parked within 15 feet of the owner's office door. This is no joke. Apparently they are being taken apart and some part is used in drug production. You will know it is gone if it starts with a roar !!

No restriction. Horsepower gains all day bro!

Roberto

Well Known Member
I like the sound. A bit much for street use. Abarth was the go to unit for the Brit sports cars. I just bought an 86 Bronco II, 68K miles, that has a sweet sound.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Is it down there?! I'd love to see that thing. My girlfriend loves the Bronco 2. It was her first car. People are starting to turn those into pre-runners and desert vehicles. The Bronco is real trendy right now. We'll be down this weekend tooling around. Let me know RUBBER TOE