"Baja Concept" 1010 Trench Tuna Trip 9/22 w-pics

Red Drum

Got an invite from David “Baja Concept” to fish Saturday aboard his 27ft Panga, down by the 1010 trench. Also, Mike “Bajamike” joined us for the trip.

Left Shelter Island at 12 midnight and made down to the trench at 6am. Put out the jigs out at grey light and got nailed by the first fish of the day, a nice little Dorado.

Mike and a Dodo.

About an hour later we found another paddy and starting catch Yellowfin Tuna…yippee!!

David and some Yellowfin.

Bloodydecks…sweet!!

Here I am with some Yellowfin.

Mike and one of his Yellowfin.

Mike and Vinnie with Tuna.

Mike going Bendo.

Mike and another Tuna.

David and I nice blind strike Dorado.
Dave and one of his Yellowfin.

Picture of the “Pacific Star” as it passed us going out West, I actually fished on that vessel three weeks ago.

Another blind strike Dorado.

Ended the trip with 15 Yellowfin Tuna, 1 Bluefin Tuna, 2 Skipjack, 4 Dorado and 7 Yellowtail.

I had a blast fishing with David and Mike and can’t wait to do it again. Thanks again Capt. David for the awesome!! And thanks for driving! HOOK-UP!!

Till next tide,

Got an invite from David “Baja Concept” to fish Saturday aboard his 27ft Panga, down by the 1010 trench. Also, Mike “Bajamike” joined us for the trip.

Left Shelter Island at 12 midnight and made down to the trench at 6am. Put out the jigs out at grey light and got nailed by the first fish of the day, a nice little Dorado.

Mike and a Dodo.

About an hour later we found another paddy and starting catch Yellowfin Tuna…yippee!!

David and some Yellowfin.

Bloodydecks…sweet!!

Here I am with some Yellowfin.

Mike and one of his Yellowfin.

Mike and Vinnie with Tuna.

Mike going Bendo.

Mike and another Tuna.

David and I nice blind strike Dorado.
Dave and one of his Yellowfin.

Picture of the “Pacific Star” as it passed us going out West, I actually fished on that vessel three weeks ago.

Another blind strike Dorado.

Ended the trip with 15 Yellowfin Tuna, 1 Bluefin Tuna, 2 Skipjack, 4 Dorado and 7 Yellowtail.

I had a blast fishing with David and Mike and can’t wait to do it again. Thanks again Capt. David for the awesome!! And thanks for driving! HOOK-UP!!

Till next tide,
Vince, that is flippin awesome Leigh

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Yellowtail? Grilled or fried. Yellowfin? RAW! ceviche (or quickly marinaded in some teriyaki and grilled). Yummy!

Epic trip there, Vince! Bloody decks ahoy!!!
:puff:

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Dodos and deck-flappers... What a blast.

I wanted to plan a trip to SD this summer to get in on the El Nino action, but I could never get the numbers to work out for the diesel/boat gas, and accommodations to work out and keep the costs reasonable.

I should have just called Vinnie... :cruisin:

Hmmm - maybe I need to get a slide-in camper for the truck, and just park and sleep at the Shelter island ramp parking lot...

We could launch, fish, then come back in and do a tailgate party at the ramp...:coldone:

Hmmm maybe I have a strategy for next summer (and then watch, the green door will come back and the fishing will BLOW CHUNKS again.... :rofl:)

joester

2 salty dawgs
an easy way to cook yellowfin is to rub the fish with mayonaise, and grill it just enough where it's not quite cooked thru when you take it off - it'll finish up just right after a couple minutes.
some folks add some hot sauce to the mayo to spice it up.
I like it with just mayo - you can taste the fish better :)