Barb’s Dog Rescue trouble

Cheddar, she is in her mid 70's has been in RP since the 90's.. lived in the real Puerto Penasco and been through worse than this...She would probably welcome a slow down, for doing what she believes...The safety and well being of the animals...She is going to show them who is the boss' hopefully today...she doesn't do it for the money .
Let’s not forget the dogs. Either way the rescue may never be the same. Too bad.

richwi

This was posted on another site. Somebody is in trouble... Tom Achtenberg
Be careful posting any response you get here. I did under another post and people are jumping all over me like I’m the enemy. All I did was post a response. I’ll include it here verbatim
Dee's response Tom, I have nothing to do with this, it is the USDA side contacted the Vet an asked if it was his signature on all of the thousands of documents that was set to the US side to export the Dogs and he said no it was not his signature nor did he examine the Dogs, they found out that Estella was forging his signature for years and exporting the Dogs to the US including making up prescription pads and putting his signature down that he gave the Rabies Shots etc. and he did not. I knew nothing about this until the Dr. contacted us about this that Estella was doing this. I have worked too hard to have to see the Rescue go down,but it is out of my control the Mexican Gov. and US side have stepped in and who knows what they will do. I am begging them to please not close the rescue down to let the City continue to run it for the Dogs sake in Rocky Point for now until they figure all of this out. I hope this helps.
Take Care,
Dee
Dee Brooks
Twin Dolphins Realty
P.O. Box 1680
Lukeville, AZ 85341
602-324-7241 Office
638-384-0113 Cell
Clearly I have no idea of what is really going on. I know Barb's has worked closely with HALO on Phoenix for a number of years. It's hard to think that HALO wouldn't be aware of dogs not having vaccinations or with other heath issues since ther have been hundreds of dogs that have come from Barb's through HALO over the years..

corndog

Clearly I have no idea of what is really going on. I know Barb's has worked closely with HALO on Phoenix for a number of years. It's hard to think that HALO wouldn't be aware of dogs not having vaccinations or with other heath issues since ther have been hundreds of dogs that have come from Barb's through HALO over the years..
The problem is the paperwork had vets signature that was falsified...it's not Dee trying to shut the place down , it's the government...if you read my earlier post.

corndog

If anybody cared to read Cathy Gillilands post, that is closer to the truth about who was caring for the dogs. I know that for a fact.

corndog

The real person in charge shows who owns the mess. Good evening, friends and supporters.
We met with city officials today and would like to share with you what we know at this point:
Search Search
Dee Brooks would like to donate our rescue and property to city officials/Animal Control.
Animal Control has indicated they will be making daily visits to the rescue to ensure we are taking "proper care" of our precious dogs. We will welcome them in.
We do not wish to go on the defensive. We can only tell you that BDR is what is always has been. We ask you to consider adopting a dog...even if you aren't sure you can add one more to your pack. We ask you to stop by. Make a donation. Spread the word. Absolutely anything you can do...bring it.
Make a donation here: www.barbsdogrescue.org.
If you'd like to chat, please email us at [email protected], or call us, at (928) 899-1426.
So much love you you all.
Scarlett, Gina, Estela, David, and the rest of the staff at BDR.

Last edited:
The real person in charge shows who owns the mess. Good evening, friends and supporters.
We met with city officials today and would like to share with you what we know at this point:
Search Search
Dee Brooks would like to donate our rescue and property to city officials/Animal Control.
Animal Control has indicated they will be making daily visits to the rescue to ensure we are taking "proper care" of our precious dogs. We will welcome them in.
We do not wish to go on the defensive. We can only tell you that BDR is what is always has been. We ask you to consider adopting a dog...even if you aren't sure you can add one more to your pack. We ask you to stop by. Make a donation. Spread the word. Absolutely anything you can do...bring it.
Make a donation here: www.barbsdogrescue.org.
If you'd like to chat, please email us at [email protected], or call us, at (928) 899-1426.
So much love you you all.
Scarlett, Gina, Estela, David, and the rest of the staff at BDR.
Why would she want to donate the land from out underneath the rescue? No advance notice to the board to make preparations for such a low handed move. Makes no sense. Dee is the problem clearly and is just trying to save face. Dee deserves to be roasted in social media more than ever now. Dickhead move if you ask me.

corndog

Cheddar, first you should find out if they even want the property and the liabilities that go along with putting your name on the deed. She could give it to them, but a donation (going to be closed as a sale)would generate capital gains tax, transfer tax notary fees and it could be quite a lot, with all the building on the property..there are actually 2 properties 1 is approx. 5000 sq meters and the other 7000 sq meters ..if she donated it to the city..no closing costs no 2percent transfer fee and no capital gains. Maybe the city would keep it running as is .. let it play out...

Cheddar, first you should find out if they even want the property and the liabilities that go along with putting your name on the deed. She could give it to them, but a donation (going to be closed as a sale)would generate capital gains tax, transfer tax notary fees and it could be quite a lot, with all the building on the property..there are actually 2 properties 1 is approx. 5000 sq meters and the other 7000 sq meters ..if she donated it to the city..no closing costs no 2percent transfer fee and no capital gains. Maybe the city would keep it running as is .. let it play out...
Set up a non profit charity under BDR. Donate it to this newly created charity. Just a thought.

Were the buildings built or existing? If they were built with non profit funds would they not be free of certain taxes?

I don’t trust the city one bit. Nothing stopping them from evicting or charging rent. All and all bad situation.

one thing for sure theRe is no shortage of public support for this legacy barb has created.

corndog

Set up a non profit charity under BDR. Donate it to this newly created charity. Just a thought.

Were the buildings built or existing? If they were built with non profit funds would they not be free of certain taxes?

I don’t trust the city one bit. Nothing stopping them from evicting or charging rent. All and all bad situation.

one thing for sure theRe is no shortage of public support for this legacy barb has created.
Need to get an accountant to figure that out.. .Actually the legacy that Barb and Dee created The property belonged to Barbs boyfriends mother and both of them lived their for years..Barb wound up with the property , it had a small house on it , that was torn down when they started the new construction a few years ago...so no the buildings weren't on the property when it was acquired .Cheddar the 7000 sq meter piece was purchased late last year for expansion ..

Last edited:

AZRob

I wish all good wishes for the animals there.
Hope everything turns out good for the place.

Last edited:

richwi

Once you get involved in a lawsuit good luck, waiting on Northbeach to settle since 1998.
For sure. There are some folks out here that have been involved in a property dispute for more than 20 years. Since there is a US LLC involved this also went to court in AZ and was settled long ago but an AZ court ruling doesn't matter in Mexico.

joanC

We got this a few days ago in an email from an anonymous party. It alleges a novel type of fraud: you take something by unlawful means, and give it to someone else, with no suggestion of attempting a personal gain. Do they have Kim Kardashian as their attorney?

joanC

We got this a few days ago in an email from an anonymous party. It alleges a novel type of fraud: you take something by unlawful means, and give it to someone else, with no suggestion of attempting a personal gain. Do they have Kim Kardashian as their attorney?
You may be aware that there was some controversy regarding control of Barb's Dog Rescue after Barb's death this summer. After a meeting this week, the city of Puerto Peñasco now understands that Barb's sister's attempt to claim ownership and give the shelter to the city's Animal Control division was fraudulent. With that behind us, we are excited to move forward and focus our energy to what is most important - continuing Barb's mission of saving dogs!

You may be aware that there was some controversy regarding control of Barb's Dog Rescue after Barb's death this summer. After a meeting this week, the city of Puerto Peñasco now understands that Barb's sister's attempt to claim ownership and give the shelter to the city's Animal Control division was fraudulent. With that behind us, we are excited to move forward and focus our energy to what is most important - continuing Barb's mission of saving dogs!
Fraud is when you deprive someone of their property or wealth through dishonest means. Whether you do this to profit or merely to injure another party is irrelevant. We have given a lot of money to and and done significant volunteer work for Barb’s. I have a dog we adopted from Barb‘s on my lap as I write this. With any luck the government and courts of Puerto Peñasco will deal with this miscreant, who put so many deserving dogs at risk through her criminal malice. Otherwise, a cursory reading of the Google reviews for Twin Dolphins Realty might suggest that the ex-pats have this under control.