Barb’s Dog Rescue

joanC

I hope Barb is highly commenerated by the City and State.

If you visited Penasco 25 years ago you would understand the heartbreaking sight of unwanted dogs on the street, 24 hours from death. Barb took in hundreds, and many friends adopted her survivors. She, and a lady named Nancy, were pioneers in Penasco, and convinced local Mexican households dogs deserved to live without constant pain, mange, hunger and thirst. Until then, local Mexicans didn't care a rats's petunia about a dog dieing out front on the street for the simple lack of no water and scrap food. This is a third world country.

I believe she may have been a sister to Dee Brooks at Twin Doilphins Realty.

Dee also is dedicated to saving animals in Penasco. You wouldn't believe how many recovering dogs we have seen in her office, under her loving care and treatment. Each one gets a name and special attention. And, if you buy or sell a property through her, you get a free healthy doggie!

Anyone remember the "Malecon Pack"?

Ten to twenty feral dogs known worldwide as Pariah Dogs or Pye-Dogs. Medium to large breed with tan short coats, mostly erect ears, square muzzles and curled tails. Pretty much anywhere on earth when dogs go feral and learn to survive the breed reverts to this type.

The pack was always friendly to people but a terror to outside dogs especially tourist dogs. They controlled Whale Hill as their home breeding territory and foraged the Old Port especially the Malecon for daily guaranteed treats from tourists and scraps from the fish mongers and street taco vendors. They were always there when the Pangueros came into the old boat ramp and got a good feed when the fish cleaner boys filleted the tourist catch.

I never heard of one incident of aggressive behavior from them. They were all killed off in a single day back in the late 90's when the city gave an ultimatum to all residents to lock up your pooches as the PP police would be doing a city-wide sweep to shoot every dog in town. I went to the PP dump one day and saw at least fifty dead dogs being picked to the bones by the local Buzzards.

There are still two small packs to view these days. One frequents the docks and Safe Marina areas and the other lives behind the storage units along Freemont especially at Oceano Storage.

Up until two years ago a small pack used to hang out around Sam's Club, all gone now.

richwi

Anyone remember the "Malecon Pack"?

Ten to twenty feral dogs known worldwide as Pariah Dogs or Pye-Dogs. Medium to large breed with tan short coats, mostly erect ears, square muzzles and curled tails. Pretty much anywhere on earth when dogs go feral and learn to survive the breed reverts to this type.

The pack was always friendly to people but a terror to outside dogs especially tourist dogs. They controlled Whale Hill as their home breeding territory and foraged the Old Port especially the Malecon for daily guaranteed treats from tourists and scraps from the fish mongers and street taco vendors. They were always there when the Pangueros came into the old boat ramp and got a good feed when the fish cleaner boys filleted the tourist catch.

I never heard of one incident of aggressive behavior from them. They were all killed off in a single day back in the late 90's when the city gave an ultimatum to all residents to lock up your pooches as the PP police would be doing a city-wide sweep to shoot every dog in town. I went to the PP dump one day and saw at least fifty dead dogs being picked to the bones by the local Buzzards.

There are still two small packs to view these days. One frequents the docks and Safe Marina areas and the other lives behind the storage units along Freemont especially at Oceano Storage.

Up until two years ago a small pack used to hang out around Sam's Club, all gone now.
There is a pack that lives near the estuary

Last edited:
Before we had ever been to PP we checked out San Felipe bout 14 yrs ago. Patty bought up all the hotdogs at the market and had us drive around throwing them out to the ferals til the police stopped us and said it was illegal to feed the ferals!

MIRAMAR

What a great woman, committing her life to helping stray dogs. You're right Joan, it was so common seeing large packs of stray dogs throughout Penasco, and with her work, she helped decrease the amount and pain they suffered, along with getting them adopted- Puerto Penasco Purebreds.

joanC

I hope our Mayor, Jorge Pivac, takes the initiatve and does something to keep her animal sanctuary running. He's smart enough to know the social and medical costs of letting destitute and suffering doggies take over the sand streets once again.

Barbacoa de Perro, soon to be a grand opening in Mirador right where the old Black Dog Saloon used to operate.

Lean, mean and healthful! Put the carcass on a spit, slow cook till the hair burns off then trim them on to a toasted corn tortilla.

Always popular in de Turd World.

MIRAMAR

@joanC I read that the rescue has been planning for this sad event, and the rescue will continue. Several bars around town are naming drinks for the dogs and Barb, i.e.: Barbarita, and donating the proceeds to the rescue.

playaperro

El Pirata
Barbacoa de Perro, soon to be a grand opening in Mirador right where the old Black Dog Saloon used to operate.

Lean, mean and healthful! Put the carcass on a spit, slow cook till the hair burns off then trim them on to a toasted corn tortilla.

Always popular in de Turd World.
If you can’t figure out how to be kind plz figure out how to be quiet.
What are you doing here calling this place turd world?
Just belittling Penasco most of the time is kinda small.